Sol Bamba "deceived" referee...

It is a shit killjoy rule anyway - last minute winner and the issue is whether he took his shirt off to celebrate or not. Who cares - all in the joy of the moment. I do appreciate that there are limits of course but taking your shirt off is hardly indecent.

It would be if I did it mind - I'd expect a red card :lol:

as I understand it was to stop players having political slogans written on t-shirts worn underneath their strip top

yes because I can't actually believe Atkinson didn't notice that Bamba's shirt was lying in the penalty area for upwards of a minute.

I've always hated Atkinson since that Altidore goal that wasn't that ruined his Sunderland career. ;)

only for red card offences. Can't retrospectively book someone.

And therein lies the problem.
Easily solveable, but the will is not there.

where do you draw the line though? Say someone's been booked in a game and then commits another bookable offence which the ref misses do the FA retrospectively issue the 2nd yellow and subsequent suspension?

Yes; why not?

as I understand it was to stop players having political slogans written on t-shirts worn underneath their strip top
It's because in some of the Middle East going topless/shirtless is offensive ... and the PL make a lot of money from the TV rights out there

:lol: sod off.

I'm putting this hostile reception down to the fact that we don't care about the premier league anymore. :neutral:

where do you draw the line though? Say someone's been booked in a game and then commits another bookable offence which the ref misses do the FA retrospectively issue the 2nd yellow and subsequent suspension?
You could draw the line at the deliberate deception by the player which might be bringing the game into disrepute.

It's because in some of the Middle East going topless/shirtless is offensive ... and the PL make a lot of money from the TV rights out there
your right, but is also to stop political messages even if non offensive being displayed. I would go along with both reasons but would depend on what article you read. bbc goes because of muslims, guardian goes along with messages

To me the bizarre thing is the referee has his back turned to the goal celebrations for nearly a minute, somehow accepting this is true, he has two paid 'assistant referees' there to help him out but doesn't consult either of them but asks the player? Whether there is a retrospective yellow (against the rules) and whether it matters (because we think it is a silly rule) are both irrelevant, but the League need to be asking serious questions about the referee's competence given this hard to believe double whammy of failure on simple clear rules and procedures.

I thought if the referee didn’t see it they could take action? I’m not f***ing arsed by the way but the FA just make a mockery of their own rules the f***ing clowns.
Think it has to be a red card offence for retrospective action. As this would have only been a yellow then don't think they can. Unless they were thinking about punishing him for lying to the ref.

No, it's well known I don't have a sense of humour ;). I don't agree with the booking rule and I wouldn't expect him to go running to the ref to report himself, but a blatant lie to the official isn't acceptable.
So I’ll ask you the same question
You handle the ball in the area the opposition appeal for a penalty, the ref didn’t see it hit your hand so he asks you if it hit your hand, what would you say?

So I’ll ask you the same question
You handle the ball in the area the opposition appeal for a penalty, the ref didn’t see it hit your hand so he asks you if it hit your hand, what would you say?
That's an incident where the ref would have to play on if he hasn't seen it, the officials referee the game on what they see. **
The Bamba incident was while the ball was out of play.

** for what it's worth, yes I would tell the ref i'd handled the ball (and I'm not saying that just to win the argument ;))

So if the ref asks you if you handballed in the box what would you say?

that's contentious too though. The ball might have hit your hand but in your opinion it was ball to hand, your mate next to you might have thought it deflected onto your hand so it's harsh but the ref might have thought it was hand to ball. There's no yes or no as you'd be arguing no but the ref is thinking yes.

when the issue is removing the shirt, you can hardly argue otherwise if your shirt's lying in the penalty area. :lol:

To me the bizarre thing is the referee has his back turned to the goal celebrations for nearly a minute, somehow accepting this is true, he has two paid 'assistant referees' there to help him out but doesn't consult either of them but asks the player? Whether there is a retrospective yellow (against the rules) and whether it matters (because we think it is a silly rule) are both irrelevant, but the League need to be asking serious questions about the referee's competence given this hard to believe double whammy of failure on simple clear rules and procedures.

Samba actually charged towards the stands. I'm not sure if he ended up in the fans (can't remember) but was close enough that the ref should have been aware in order to manage the situation. I can't fathom out what Atkinson was actually doing.

I'm not convinced he's asked Samba like. He's seen it, forgot to book him in all the drama and then when he's been pulled up, he's thought "ah shit" and came out with some nonsense cover up story. I'd like Samba to actually come out and call him out on it if that's the case.

Last edited:

Back