Sofia. Bucharest. Podgorica.

Loved it. Belgrade is known as the party capital of Europe, although I didn't see much of that, people go from all over in other parts of the Balkans. In the Bohemian quarter full of good pubs with local folk musicians and rock bands playing next door. Found it a top city to have a look 'round and sit and have a beer at night, accomodation spot on for the money. A bit rough around midnight though with gangs of petty criminals hanging around. Apparently the terraces are rough as well with a lot of their hooligans being petty criminals and involved in the drug scene so you may want to be careful where you stand. I was speaking to a few people over there and apparently there's a lot of infighting between the various hooligan groups looking to control the South Stand, and people have been stabbed to death over that. Recently a certain group hired in a few Croatian kick boxers and MMA types to help them take control and they all got a good, old going over. Have a look on You Tube at the state of 'em as they're being walked out, look half dead. On the whole top city, but a place to keep your wits about you.

No intention whatsoever of going to a match thanks
There's a museum in Belgrade which tells the story from their side. As far as they're concerned NATO are Nazis, bombing their city and inhabitants. I don't agree with that by the way because they were the aggressors (along with the Croats who also had expansionist designs) and somebody had do something to put a stop to the whole thing. I went to that museum in Sarajevo and it's the best museum I've ever been in and the most tragic. By the way, the Croats also committed acts of mass murder, Serbs weren't the only group carrying out ethnic cleansing policies (not that it absolves anyone of any guilt). In fact, the Croats and Serbs came to a secret agreement to split most of Bosnia in half between them and leave the Bosnian Muslims with a small part of the former country.

The Croats were a, set of twats in WW2 (Ustasha Nazi sympathisers) and were arguably worse in the Bosnian war first helping the Bosniaks and then changing sides when they realised they could have a land grab. Their siege of Mostar was appalling and whilst it didn't come close to the massacre by the Serbs at Srebrenica, there were certainly crimes against humanity perpetrated by them.
They did suffer at the hands of the Serbs tbf from Oct 91 til the back end of 92 but Tujman was a duplicitous twat and I hope history judges him in those terms.

Last edited:

Loved it. Belgrade is known as the party capital of Europe, although I didn't see much of that, people go from all over in other parts of the Balkans. In the Bohemian quarter full of good pubs with local folk musicians and rock bands playing next door. Found it a top city to have a look 'round and sit and have a beer at night, accomodation spot on for the money. A bit rough around midnight though with gangs of petty criminals hanging around. Apparently the terraces are rough as well with a lot of their hooligans being petty criminals and involved in the drug scene so you may want to be careful where you stand. I was speaking to a few people over there and apparently there's a lot of infighting between the various hooligan groups looking to control the South Stand, and people have been stabbed to death over that. Recently a certain group hired in a few Croatian kick boxers and MMA types to help them take control and they all got a good, old going over. Have a look on You Tube at the state of 'em as they're being walked out, look half dead. On the whole top city, but a place to keep your wits about you.

Hmm my track record for ignoring obvious risk ain't great so only a few beers

Hmm my track record for ignoring obvious risk ain't great so only a few beers

'Belting place 'round the Bohemian quarter, mate, and very easy to get around the city on buses and trams.

I'd definitely go back, you just don't want to be wandering 'round the back streets pissed looking for somewhere to go late at night, but then that goes for a lot of places.

In Europe at football matches, particularly the ones where they have what I suppose you'd call a large group of hardcore hooligans, you don't really want to be standing with them. It was the same when I went to watch Legia Warsaw. They're all pretty serious about it, and to them that's their stand for them and they don't want outsiders in.

Back