Socially Distancing Everyday Life

Crook Mackem

Striker
Once further relaxation of the lockdown kicks in I would imagine a lot of the social distancing measures will remain in place.

So there`ll still be queues outside of supermarkets, shops, chemists etc and only a certain amount let in at any one time.

What about walking down the street though, or dropping kids off at school, things like that ?

How is it practically going to work ? One way footways ? Markings and signs all over the place warning us about 2m gaps ? Remove areas of roads and use them as paths ? Do we just hope people know the crack and do nowt and hope the message has sunk in ?

Either way, its going to be a bit weird for a few year imo

I cannot see how it can be possible in a working environment, especially from my perspective.
Yes on the shop floor it could but things like rest areas, changing rooms etc, not a chance.

Once further relaxation of the lockdown kicks in I would imagine a lot of the social distancing measures will remain in place.

So there`ll still be queues outside of supermarkets, shops, chemists etc and only a certain amount let in at any one time.

What about walking down the street though, or dropping kids off at school, things like that ?

How is it practically going to work ? One way footways ? Markings and signs all over the place warning us about 2m gaps ? Remove areas of roads and use them as paths ? Do we just hope people know the crack and do nowt and hope the message has sunk in ?

All looks on good on paper marra.
But when the dumbfucks once inside the supermarkets don't pay any attention to it, then it's all a waste of time.

All looks on good on paper marra.
But when the dumbfucks once inside the supermarkets don't pay any attention to it, then it's all a waste of time.

i`ve definately noticed in the last week or so people giving less of a toss about keeping their distance. was stood in boots yesterday with at least a 4 or 5 m clear radius around me and 2 old fellas pretty much brushed shoulders with me as they walked past. Wouldnt care but they didnt look the best anyway.

It doesn't work for shop staff. My son said people come really close to him and some people still touch him, like patting him on the arm or shoulder.

Every council in the country should be widening footways in areas where there is high footfall and pinch points.

Outside schools should be closed to motor traffic entirely to provide space to walk, scoot or cycle in safely. That's a movement happening now anyway regardless of this current situation, though I expect it should speed things up across the board.

It's going to be like this for a while. Councils who aren't making plans now are going to face a backlash further down the line when we all start getting out and about more.

I cannot see how it can be possible in a working environment, especially from my perspective.
Yes on the shop floor it could but things like rest areas, changing rooms etc, not a chance.

Surely Nissan and suppliers will have to run at a massively reduced capacity for a long time if they're going to so social distancing. Some of out stations have 3-4 people in a 2 metre space.

I should imagine the biggest impact you’ll see is an influx of people moving to Crook where the genetics of the town occupants defy all known science, people will be hoping that by moving back in time they will avoid the virus and gain inbred immunity

Every council in the country should be widening footways in areas where there is high footfall and pinch points.

Outside schools should be closed to motor traffic entirely to provide space to walk, scoot or cycle in safely. That's a movement happening now anyway regardless of this current situation, though I expect it should speed things up across the board.

It's going to be like this for a while. Councils who aren't making plans now are going to face a backlash further down the line when we all start getting out and about more.

Got to be horses for courses though surely, I can think of dozens of places up here where shutting the road would cause absolute mayhem. Fair enough in town centres but close a road in a village with only 1 road through it because the path to the school is too narrow. Couldnt possibly work could it ?

(I`m not sure what the catch-all solution is by the way)
I should imagine the biggest impact you’ll see is an influx of people moving to Crook where the genetics of the town occupants defy all known science, people will be hoping that by moving back in time they will avoid the virus and gain inbred immunity

I dont come from or live in Crook marra ;) Durham lad me

I did live in Crook a few year ago when I made this account though :)

Last edited:
Got to be horses for courses though surely, I can think of dozens of places up here where shutting the road would cause absolute mayhem. Fair enough in town centres but close a road in a village with only 1 road through it because the path to the school is too narrow. Couldnt possibly work could it ?

(I`m not sure what the catch-all solution is by the way)

I dont come from or live in Crook marra ;) Durham lad me

I did live in Crook a few year ago when I made this account though :)

It obviously needs doing on a case by case basis, however we're in the middle of a public health emergency and pandemic. Not really the time to worry too much about how it might inconvenience those driving. Get the measures in place and keep people safe. It's very rare you'd need to close the road entirely to widen a footway, except in really rural places maybe.

Councils have not got a pot to piss in so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

It obviously needs doing on a case by case basis, however we're in the middle of a public health emergency and pandemic. Not really the time to worry too much about how it might inconvenience those driving. Get the measures in place and keep people safe. It's very rare you'd need to close the road entirely to widen a footway, except in really rural places maybe.

my worry is you could do this, cone areas of road off, put some traffic lights up to allow a bit give and take on the road for through traffic and you`d still get people stood right next to other anyway. so it would likely all just be a big waste of money

Councils have not got a pot to piss in so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

There's £250m set aside for emergency C19 measures.
my worry is you could do this, cone areas of road off, put some traffic lights up to allow a bit give and take on the road for through traffic and you`d still get people stood right next to other anyway. so it would likely all just be a big waste of money

Most wouldnt be stood next to each other though, the odd few will disobey no matter what. If it's not narrow enough to pass while providing a safe buffer then it should be done. This stuff costs relative pennies as well, you just need cones and plastic barriers. I a lot of cases it's just the case of suspending car parking and loading bays and moving them somewhere else.

Most wouldnt be stood next to each other though, the odd few will disobey no matter what. If it's not narrow enough to pass while providing a safe buffer then it should be done. This stuff costs relative pennies as well, you just need cones and plastic barriers. I a lot of cases it's just the case of suspending car parking and loading bays and moving them somewhere else.

What about if they shifted the loading bay from near the shop where the path was narrow to a point directly outside your house ? ;)

I`m honestly coming round to the idea we should treat paths like we do roads and just go one way on one side and the opposite on the other.

Traffic Managements not cheap mind. Be looking at a grand or so for what I would class as a minor set up / small job

Can’t see that doing much nationwide, but better than nothing.

Surely Nissan and suppliers will have to run at a massively reduced capacity for a long time if they're going to so social distancing. Some of out stations have 3-4 people in a 2 metre space.
God knows how they are going to manage it. Lads fighting to get in to the cars as there is no space.

What about if they shifted the loading bay from near the shop where the path was narrow to a point directly outside your house ? ;)

I`m honestly coming round to the idea we should treat paths like we do roads and just go one way on one side and the opposite on the other.

Traffic Managements not cheap mind. Be looking at a grand or so for what I would class as a minor set up / small job

The Tesco near me have had their loading bay (used by HGVs) moved to accommodate footway widening. It's really made a big difference. Think they just had to shift their loading so that it's well outside of peak hours. There's always a way around things like this and people are generally happy to accommodate it.

You'd not need any traffic management in the majority of cases so shouldn't be a problem cost wise.
Can’t see that doing much nationwide, but better than nothing.

It'll go far enough if local authorities make their plans to start using it. You can make big differences with just a few grand spent on plastic barriers in certain pinch points. Medium term though I agree it's not enough and more will be required.

Back