Socially-distanced sports

I'm watching the cricket highlights, and the most notable difference to usual is obviously the empty crowd (insert joke about regular cricket attendance here). It took me quite a while to notice, however, that the players are seemingly still allowed to celebrate by hugging each other and shaking hands. Why is this allowed? Aren't they required to stay a metre apart?

I'm watching the cricket highlights, and the most notable difference to usual is obviously the empty crowd (insert joke about regular cricket attendance here). It took me quite a while to notice, however, that the players are seemingly still allowed to celebrate by hugging each other and shaking hands. Why is this allowed? Aren't they required to stay a metre apart?
no. Hope that helps.

Biosecure environment?
This. Players can do what they like amongst themselves but the media and players have to stay apart. So the players go into this room with a camera and a chair like Big Brother to talk to the media.

I do wonder about the hotel staff and groundstaff, people preparing the lunches and teas etc. Don't think they're staying at the ground as the hotel wouldn't be big enough

Maybe because they don't want to send out the wrong message?

I don't know - just speculating.

The risk of transmitting Covid19 via saliva on a cricket ball must be minuscule.
I believe there was a study which confirmed as much after Johnson's "natural vector of disease" bollocks. Can't remember where I read it mind

Have you not been watching the football 🤷‍♂️

As of today, under18s can play organised outdoor contact sports in Scotland with no social distancing and no (reasonable) limit on numbers - e.g. 30 players in a rugby game.

I never understood why basketball was first sport to be allowed back alongside tennis and golf. I understand golf and tennis, distanced with a very small risk, but basketball is a high energy sport where you spend so much time in the face of an opponent? Unless it was just to get people back outside and trying to make use of free council facilities?

As of today, under18s can play organised outdoor contact sports in Scotland with no social distancing and no (reasonable) limit on numbers - e.g. 30 players in a rugby game.

We're discussing how best we can restart our practice sessions this week given the 5 different household rule. Seems a bit disjointed - it's not like you polish a ball for nets like you do in a normal game. We're at far more risk from the ball landing in dog-shit.
They had a shocking third (or fourth?) day, mind, lots of overturned decisions

I think DRS has made some umpires lazy - particularly with front foot no-balls and LBW decisions.

Last edited:
This is a good fact. What about England and Wales. My son would love to start playing again

We're discussing how best we can restart our practice sessions this week given the 5 different household rule. Seems a bit disjointed - it's not like you polish a ball for nets like you do in a normal game. We're at far more risk from the ball landing in dog-shit.

I think DRS has made some umpires lazy - particularly with front foot no-balls and LBW decisions.
They only seem to call no balls if it results in a wicket and even then it has to go upstairs. Can't remember who it was that said during the last Test they'll just be there to hold jumpers soon. And they can't even do that at the moment

Back