So are Mackems only from Sunderland

South Shields = Sandancers
Durham, Hetton & Houghton = Pityackers
Washington =????????????
All the above are falling out of use and Geordie is used as a generic term now for anyone in the North East.

Only Sunderland people correct others to say Mackem.

Absolute nonsense, I’ve worked all over the UK, on hearing my accent I get the question of which team I support and then when I’ve answered I get the response, so you’re a Mackem then.

This is also my experience having lived in a few different places in the UK

I thought it only referred to those born and brought up around the town/docks. I know a few people form Sunderland that hate being called a mackem

I'm happy to be called a Mackem for football but I think it is wrong in any other context as I'm from Shildon. As far as I know there isn't a nickname for people from SW Durham. I've heard "Shildonian" and "Darlingtonian" for the specific towns' inhabitants but nothing for the region.

I'm not a f***ing Geordie.

Sunderland - Mackems
Newcastle - geordies
South Shields - sandancers
Penshaw - woolybacks
Durham - pit yackers if your from Newcastle , just Durham lads if from Sland
Seaham - walking dead
Washington - districters
North Tyneside - plastic geordies
Gateshead - Heeders
Boro - Smoggies
Consett - Dingles

I had never heard the term "Mackem" until the early 1990's.
Nah , I heard it early 80s quite often so I’m assuming came about late 70s

Last edited:
Started off as a derisive term by Geordies to describe Sunderland folk and how they pronounced make and take.

Mackem and tackem
No it wasn't I remember when people from elsewhere got arsey the phrase used was you had better be careful because where i come from we mackem and tackem. I remember that from the sixties
And when i asked what it meant the reply was if they dinit shut up they'll find out

I had never heard the term "Mackem" until the early 1990's.
80s for me but only cos I lived in Newcastle for a while. Before that nobody in co durham batted an eyelid at being referred to as a geordie though nowadays people don't like to hear that.

Started off as a derisive term by Geordies to describe Sunderland folk and how they pronounced make and take.

Mackem and tackem

Because would make the ships on the Wear and they would take them to the Tyne to be finished off - carpets, curtains, cushions, all that.

Absolute nonsense, I’ve worked all over the UK, on hearing my accent I get the question of which team I support and then when I’ve answered I get the response, so you’re a Mackem then.
Same here.

Last edited:
I was born and lived in Sunderland until I was 5. Then we moved to Newcastle where we were considered to be posh. I've recently started work in a Community Centre in Newcastle where I'm continually asked 'where do you come from originally?' So, I obviously don't sound Geordie. Which is nice. :)

I'm happy to be called a Mackem for football but I think it is wrong in any other context as I'm from Shildon. As far as I know there isn't a nickname for people from SW Durham. I've heard "Shildonian" and "Darlingtonian" for the specific towns' inhabitants but nothing for the region.

I'm not a f***ing Geordie.
Durhamite.

and every other place is geordie town like? well everywhere else you go its all geordie, south shields (geordies) washington (geordies) durham (geordies) err the boldons (geordies) where else oh yes houghton and hetton (geordies)

I was born in South Shields, spent my pre-teens in Washington and then moved to Boldon. Not once have I called myself a Geordie or a Mackem. Despite people calling me a mackem for supporting Sunderland (that’s people around the country I know/deal with, not locals).

Back