Snowboarding

The

Winger
looking to go snowboarding for the first time, 4 of us, was hoping to do snowbombing but not everyone’s keen.

Anyone have any recommendations of a good place to go that isn’t that expensive and ideally is easy to get the ski lift and board and boots either included or whatever. Somewhere good for first timers with a decent night life. Off work from 6th to 13th April next year.

A package holiday would probs suit but open to suggestions.

looking to go snowboarding for the first time, 4 of us, was hoping to do snowbombing but not everyone’s keen.

Anyone have any recommendations of a good place to go that isn’t that expensive and ideally is easy to get the ski lift and board and boots either included or whatever. Somewhere good for first timers with a decent night life. Off work from 6th to 13th April next year.

Austria.. do skiing is my advice..

As first timers you don't need a huge area..

Just book a package through one of the big operators

Take your hiking boots and shorts.

Will be very icy for boarding in April I reckon. You’ll need somewhere high to get any powder.

If your a beginner, anywhere will be good. Pick one that has the sort of apres and nightlife you like.

It’s 100% worth doing lessons before you go. It’s a lot of money so spend if your going to be stuck on the nursery slope.

Try it indoors in the UK first.

Some resorts are better for snowboarders than others. Ones with lots of flat/traverse bits in the slopes are fine for skiers with poles but shit for us.

Sestriere and Mayrhoffen are both decent.

April will be end of season though so you need to make sure you know you’re still going to have snow. That’s the main thing. It could be really thin by then. I did Mayrhoffen at that time of year about five years ago for my first snowboarding weekend and it was fine but not sure what it’s been like recently. Also, check out the Altitude Comedy festival which is usually around that time in Mayrhoffen and gets a load of big names.

Ps what’s snowbombing?

If your all learning together then book lessons.... boarding is hard to get started and then you progress quicker. Skiing is the other way, easier to pick then hard to get better.

Prepare to spend a lot of time on your arse.... all the kool kids ski nowadays!

I’d personally recommended skiing as you will see more of the resort.

April could well be slushy so not a great time to be rolling about on your arse

Very late season so you'll need a high resort, Courcheval will be worth a look. Saas-Fe as well.

Some resorts are better for snowboarders than others. Ones with lots of flat/traverse bits in the slopes are fine for skiers with poles but shit for us.

April will be end of season though so you need to make sure you know you’re still going to have snow. That’s the main thing. It could be really thin by then. I did Mayrhoffen at that time of year about five years ago for my first snowboarding weekend and it was fine but not sure what it’s been like recently. Also, check out the Altitude Comedy festival which is usually around that time in Mayrhoffen and gets a load of big names.

Ps what’s snowbombing?

Annual house and techno festival in Mayrhofen to close the season.

Ps what’s snowbombing?
Www.snowbombing.com

It’s a music festival in mayrhofen.

Fancied it for years but looks like I’m the only one who fancies paying full whack for it.

Looks like it might have to be next year and much earlier considering what people have said about the snow and it also being Easter.

Last edited:

Ps what’s snowbombing?

Snowbombibg is just a way of mayrhofan extending the season when fuck all snow

If you want to go april I'd hold off booking and then get last minute shiy and follow the snow

Www.snowbombing.com

It’s a music festival in mayrhofen.

Fancied it for years but looks like I’m the only one who fancies paying full whack for it.

Looks like it might have to be next year and much earlier considering what people have said about the snow and it also being Easter.
A lass I know went this year and said she didn’t enjoy it at all.

Go to a high resort at that time of the season. Val Thorens, Tignes, Avoriaz (pretty much In that order) would be my advice. If your all beginners then just get the local area lift passes to save a few quid.

Just booked flights for our trip to Val Thorens in January.:cool:

We’re skiing VT in January as well.

Kids board and recommend any high resort with a glacier that late in the season.

Val Claret, Les 2 Alpes and VT recommended

where is best for booking up, flights and accommodation. is it cheaper just to get the gear and lift passes when you're there or does anywhere do them as part of a package. cheers

where is best for booking up, flights and accommodation. is it cheaper just to get the gear and lift passes when you're there or does anywhere do them as part of a package. cheers

First timers do a package.. crystal ski or someone.

Do not learn end of season though especially snowboarding.. spend a bit of tike on the ground and you will be drenched as it turns to such by lunchtime

Crystal ski can have good offers on sometimes particularly for catered digs. If self catering then I usually always find it cheaper going the independent route. Homeaway is a good website to check for digs.
Easy jet if you flying from Ponteland to geneva.
Bens bus or alpybus for transfers to resort (dependent on what (French) resort you end up choosing).
You can buy your lift pass online and have it posted out or pick up from one of the main lift stations.
Skimium or skiset to rent the board etc from, plenty of others to choose from, I don't rent so can't vouch for which is best but these are 2 of the largest rental firms.
If you go with crystal all of this can be taken care of by them, partly why they are usually more expensive than sorting it out yourself I suppose.

check Sunweb.com , they often have some cracking deals on around easter time. I'd also recommend les deux alpes in France. Fantastic resort, enough runs for beginners and great nightlife.

Most of their deals also include the lift pass for the week aswell.

If your all learning together then book lessons.... boarding is hard to get started and then you progress quicker. Skiing is the other way, easier to pick then hard to get better.

Prepare to spend a lot of time on your arse.... all the kool kids ski nowadays!

I’d personally recommended skiing as you will see more of the resort.

April could well be slushy so not a great time to be rolling about on your arse
Snowboarding in the slush is much more fun than in skis, assuming you get to the stage of being able to do turns. Plus most of the skiers pack up for the day early in these condition leaving the hill early

As for another poster saying you will see more of the resort, it’s possibly the complete opposite as learners boarding once you have done a couple of days will be able to get down virtually any run, although you will be slide slipping down the steep bits. That’s unless you choose a mountain with lots of flats and beginner slopes, and cat tracks, and then you will definitely see more on skis.

Snowboarding in the slush is much more fun than in skis, assuming you get to the stage of being able to do turns. Plus most of the skiers pack up for the day early in these condition leaving the hill early

As for another poster saying you will see more of the resort, it’s possibly the complete opposite as learners boarding once you have done a couple of days will be able to get down virtually any run, although you will be slide slipping down the steep bits. That’s unless you choose a mountain with lots of flats and beginner slopes, and cat tracks, and then you will definitely see more on skis.

Slush and chod is great when you can board. Wouldn’t fancy learning in it though especially if it’s the first time on snow

Back