Snooker thread

If he was feeling like that he should have withdrawn prior to the match. He made a century v Hicks, no signs of a concession then. Gilbert's always had this side to him, classy player but attitude has always held him back which is why he's not won what he could and should have
Maybe he didn't feel the same at the start it's not an exact science

If he was feeling like that he should have withdrawn prior to the match. He made a century v Hicks, no signs of a concession then. Gilbert's always had this side to him, classy player but attitude has always held him back which is why he's not won what he could and should have
🤷🏻‍♂️ who knows what’s going through the head of someone suffering from depression. I’m just thankful I don’t have those feelings. Again I’d say he didn’t just concede for the hell of it.

Why do you think he did?

🤷🏻‍♂️ who knows what’s going through the head of someone suffering from depression. I’m just thankful I don’t have those feelings. Again I’d say he didn’t just concede for the hell of it.

Why do you think he did?

I can obviously see where you are coming from but dangerous precident to set allowing players to walk out of matches going unpunished. Difficult one for the WST to deal with imo

Why do you think he did?
Personally I think it was just pure frustration and disrespect. He's always saying how much he dislikes snooker. He'll end switching to pool.

Personally I think it was just pure frustration and disrespect. He's always saying how much he dislikes snooker. He'll end switching to pool.
As you say, you think. You don’t have any actual basis or insight into what actually happened. Might be best to reserve judgment until you do.
Why?
Does it really matter if someone concedes?
I’m sure Andy hicks wasn’t too upset or feeling disrespected.

Allen, Selby and Robertson all knocked out the qualifiers for the German masters

Great stuff from Jimmy White as he has booked himself a slot

Robertson through my mistake

Robertson through my mistake
Hendry trounced 5-0 last night in German masters qualifiers. Be surprised if he takes up the chance of another tour card this morning @jacko100 @Scotty 1978 @Bungo Bill @MONTYMCPHAIL @Vincemac
hendry needs to go camping in the woods, take a massive bag of psilocybin mushrooms and just lose himself for a few days. really dust himself down and let the shackles off. he'd come back and probably win a tournament.

As you say, you think. You don’t have any actual basis or insight into what actually happened. Might be best to reserve judgment until you do.

Why?
Does it really matter if someone concedes?
I’m sure Andy hicks wasn’t too upset or feeling disrespected.

I think it does tbh. You can't have players walking off mid match knowing they are no comebacks if they did. It would bring the whole integrity the sport into question

I think it does tbh. You can't have players walking off mid match knowing they are no comebacks if they did. It would bring the whole integrity the sport into question
Why would you think there would suddenly be a spate of match concessions if they knew they wouldn’t get a fine?
These are professional snooker players. They want to win. The last thing they want is to concede a match.
It’s not something that’s ever been a problem before.

It’s not just on here. There’s a Facebook group too where people were slating him. I think they’d be far better off asking is he ok than slapping him with a fine.

Why would you think there would suddenly be a spate of match concessions if they knew they wouldn’t get a fine?
These are professional snooker players. They want to win. The last thing they want is to concede a match.

It’s not just on here. There’s a Facebook group too where people were slating him. I think they’d be far better off asking is he ok than slapping him with a fine.
I think it's disgusting that people seem to be having a go at him when they don't know his personal state of mind

Just for clarity you think its fine for any player to walk out of a match whenever they felt like it without any comebacks?

Just for clarity you think its fine for any player to walk out of a match whenever they felt like it without any comebacks?
Just for clarity do you think this is an actual issue?

I’ve never spent time thinking about it as it’s not a problem in the game.

Put yourself in a real life situation. You’re playing a match down the club. Your opponent concedes mid way through the frame. Is your first action going to be to throw a tantrum at his perceived lack of respect towards you or are you going to ask him is everything is ok?

Put yourself in a real life situation. You’re playing a match down the club. Your opponent concedes mid way through the frame. Is your first action going to be to throw a tantrum at his perceived lack of respect towards you or are you going to ask him is everything is ok?

It's not quite as simple as that. This is top level sport. My very first post on the subject said it would be difficult for the WST to deal with. It's not just a question of asking if everything is ok and that's the end of the matter. If players see they can basically get away with walking out on a match and there's no comebacks it has the potential to cause problems down the line for a professional sporting body with commitments to sponsorship, TV companies and paying spectators

It's not quite as simple as that. This is top level sport. My very first post on the subject said it would be difficult for the WST to deal with. It's not just a question of asking if everything is ok and that's the end of the matter. If players see they can basically get away with walking out on a match and there's no comebacks it has the potential to cause problems down the line for a professional sporting body with commitments to sponsorship, TV companies and paying spectators
You say that as though it’s an epidemic in the game. This is the second occasion I can’t think of in my 40 years of watching snooker.
Again, The last thing professional players want to do is concede a match and imho wouldn’t do so without just cause.

How about dealing with it on a case by case basis and not rushing to berate and scream for someone to be fined. (I’m not saying you were doing this btw)

You say that as though it’s an epidemic in the game. This is the second occasion I can’t think of in my 40 years of watching snooker.
Again, The last thing professional players want to do is concede a match and imho wouldn’t do so without just cause.

How about dealing with it on a case by case basis and not rushing to berate and scream for someone to be fined. (I’m not saying you were doing this btw)

Maybe the reason it hasn't been done a lot is that there is a consequence for doing it. It's very tricky for the WST to deal with ultimately. If for want of a better phrase free passes are given out for anyone that does do it you can be certain it's something that would creep more and more into the game. Whilst Gilbert may have legitimate reasons for doing it, it would be impossible for you to prove any other players reasons for doing it too

It’s in the rules of the sport that you can’t concede to stop match fixing I think? I was always under the impression you can’t concede a frame until you mathematically require snookers and can't concede a match until your opponent is 1 frame from winning the match and you need snookers in that frame too.

It’s in the rules of the sport that you can’t concede to stop match fixing I think? I was always under the impression you can’t concede a frame until you mathematically require snookers and can't concede a match until your opponent is 1 frame from winning the match and you need snookers in that frame too.
It’s a £250 fine if you concede when you don’t need snookers, but still happens

Back