Snooker 18/19

sonofagun

Winger
Story of the season so far:

- Scottish Open finalist last season Cao Yupeng suspended on allegations of match fixing
- Neil Robertson won the first ranking event of the season in Riga to make it 13 consecutive years that he has won a ranking tournament.
- Mark Williams won the World Open in Yushan, China, aka the 'arse end of China'
- Kyren Wilson won the Paul Hunter Classic and kicked off a barney on Twitter because most of the Top 16 couldn't be arsed to enter because of the low prize fund (£20k for the winner. Most of the Chinese events are £150k min for comparison).
- The Chinese made the Shanghai Masters non-ranking to rival the UK Masters and is actually the richest invitational snooker event in the world now.

Session 2 of the Shanghai Masters final is underway Ronnie O'Sullivan - Barry Hawkins, coverage is on Eurosport/Quest (The Hawk leads 6-5, best of 21) :)

Slightly sideways topic but if I was to get my dad tickets for something localish to Sunderland (couple hour drive) what would you choose?

Cheers.

All day would be a drag I’d assume, when are the best sessions / big names etc.?

There's 128 players who enter so if you get quarter final tickets it could be anyone really, although it's likely a few top players will be there, Ronnie won last years.

Pretty sure the all day tickets would mean you see the conclusion of a couple of matches so that's what I would go with.

There's a break in between the games too.

There's 128 players who enter so if you get quarter final tickets it could be anyone really, although it's likely a few top players will be there, Ronnie won last years.

Pretty sure the all day tickets would mean you see the conclusion of a couple of matches so that's what I would go with.

There's a break in between the games too.
Thanks again. I’ll keave yous to talk snooker now.

Semi finals of the China Championship on tomorrow.

Mark Selby vs Xhao Xingtong
John Higgins vs Lu Haotian

So it's the business stage of the tournament in Guanghong and a couple of the usual suspects are in the business end, combined with 2 Chinese youngsters. The big story of the tournament has been the Chinese kids. China has been long touted to dominate the sport because of the sheer volume of investment pumped into snooker over there - one of the most popular sports in a market of one billion people and they're even building a dedicated snooker city in Yushan… and it's starting to pay off. These two lads, combined with Yan Bingtao, Zhou Yuelong and Yuan Sijung will be Top 16 players in 5 years (Bingtao is already ranked #21 aged 18 and has an outside chance of the Masters!).

As of now, however, they're still a little raw. It'll be a classic Selby vs Higgins with Selby to edge it, I reckon. Higgins has been playing crap all week - scoring low but his opponents have been letting him off the hook. And he's still John Higgins, his safety game can still see him through games when he's playing shit. Judd shit the bed against him yesterday as per usual. Selby has been in good form this week and I'd expect him to win, but I'd love to see Xingtong win the whole thing because he's such an exciting player to watch (his Average Shot Time is up there with Ronnie and Trump).

Question for all snooker fans,
When a player misses the ball and the other player asks for the cue ball to be put back, why doesn't the player who missed replace the cueball?:lol:
Instead of all this left abit right abit nonsense.

Question for all snooker fans,
When a player misses the ball and the other player asks for the cue ball to be put back, why doesn't the player who missed replace the cueball?:lol:
Instead of all this left abit right abit nonsense.

Cos it’s just not cricket.
They could just as well ask the other player to do it.

Selby wins in China 10-9 vs Higgins. Cracking match. Higgins was behind in the decider but when he got a chance, missed a tight red along the cushion and Selby clinched victory.

Next up is the European Masters in Belgium which starts tomorrow, ridiculously. 2018 European Masters - Wikipedia
The Class of '92 have pulled out, partly because of the travelling, partly because of the average prize money not really making the effort worthwhile. Selby, being the trooper he is, is straight on a plane to Belgium to play Tuesday night :lol:

It's a really open draw assuming Selby isn't at his best because of the jetlag. I guess it would be a story in itself if he won another so quickly! It would be nice to see someone different win for a change though... Mark Allen surely has a great shot given how weak his side of the draw is - he is also surely due another ranker. Anyone but Neil Robertson to win would be an interesting story.

Last edited:
Selby wins in China 10-9 vs Higgins. Cracking match. Higgins was behind in the decider but when he got a chance, missed a tight red along the cushion and Selby clinched victory.

Next up is the European Masters in Belgium which starts tomorrow, ridiculously. 2018 European Masters - Wikipedia
The Class of '92 have pulled out, partly because of the travelling, partly because of the average prize money not really making the effort worthwhile. Selby, being the trooper he is, is straight on a plane to Belgium to play Tuesday night :lol:

It's a really open draw assuming Selby isn't at his best because of the jetlag. I guess it would be a story in itself if he won another so quickly! It would be nice to see someone different win for a change though... Mark Allen surely has a great shot given how weak his side of the draw is - he is also surely due another ranker. Anyone but Neil Robertson to win would be an interesting story.

Is there a better player in the game than Selby at making plants? Every match I watch him in he always seems to make them, very astute in lining them up, a lot of other players maybe wouldn't see it / decline taking it on.

Final today of the European Masters at 12. It's an unexpected final, Joe Perry vs Jimmy Robertson. Perry going for his second ranking title and Robertson for his first.

Robertson has been so, so lucky throughout his run. Before his victories vs Allen and King in the QFs and semis...

In qualifying he won against Andy Lee on the pink in a decider. He won against Zhong Yong on the final black... Yong Was 20 points ahead with brown to black still on the table and instead of playing it safe, he tries to double the brown in. He misses and leaves the brown on. Robertson clears the final four balls to win the match 4-3. Also won against Yuelong and McGill on the final black! :lol:

Is there a better player in the game than Selby at making plants? Every match I watch him in he always seems to make them, very astute in lining them up, a lot of other players maybe wouldn't see it / decline taking it on.

That's what separates the top players from the decent players. Most pros are within 5% of their peers technically, but the mental side of the game is so big. Keeping your head and having the bottle to make the correct choice at the correct time.

Robertson wasn't exactly in great form leading up to the tournament., he lost to a 16 year old Chinese boy in a qualifier for the China Championship. Fantastic turnaround.

Back