Snes Super Nintendo classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah. Amazon will be cheaper.

I got a pi 3.

Cooling fan.

Case.

Official pi power supply.

I already had a ri keyboard so use that and an old 360 controller.

128gb as card.

Basically that's all you need, then download an image from arcadepunks, unzip it and copy to sd card and put the card in the pi, boot up and configure controller and play.

Loads of vids on YouTube on how to do it and what are on images etc. Think mad little piggie is one of the main compilers/ image makers, he has vids on YouTube.

I got a pi 3.

Cooling fan.

Case.

128gb as card.

Basically that's all you need, then download an image from arcadepunks, unzip it and copy to sd card and put the card in the pi, boot up and configure controller and play.

Loads of vids on YouTube on how to do it and what are on images etc. Think mad little piggie is one of the main compilers/ image makers, he has vids on YouTube.

What does the image do then mate?

What does the image do then mate?

Will have all the roms and emulators mate to save you looking for them.

Eg

Snes - 500 games
Genesis - 500 games

Question to those who have pis, Do you have the video previews of the games? As I see this is a new feature, also can it run Amiga games?

N Vidia Shield looks a better option than a Pi but not sure if it has a shell application that hosts all the emulators.

Eg

Snes - 500 games
Genesis - 500 games

Question to those who have pis, Do you have the video previews of the games? As I see this is a new feature, also can it run Amiga games?

N Vidia Shield looks a better option than a Pi but not sure if it has a shell application that hosts all the emulators.

Cheers. Can you easily save games as well?

What's N Vidia Shield.

Adding to Banks' question above, if you can play Amiga games, can you play games such as championship manager 93/94?

Cheers. Can you easily save games as well?

What's N Vidia Shield.

Adding to Banks' question above, if you can play Amiga games, can you play games such as championship manager 93/94?

Aye mate you can save easily enough, you just create short cuts on the control pad, eg start and select pressed together would save game.

N Vidia Shield is more expensive but can do more. It can stream 4k TV, play Kodi and obviously play retro games.

Pis struggle with anything over the SNES, the shield cans play Dreamcast, Gamecube, Playstation if that floats your boat. Ive been contemplating a retro arcade machine for years but think a shield is most sensible for my situation.

Doesnt take up space, can blag to the missus as we need a new Kodi box currently and can play via TV in HD. Il just buy a snes, genesis and usb arcade stick for the authenticity :lol:

Eg

Snes - 500 games
Genesis - 500 games

The image I have has previews if you run the attract mode front end instead of emulation station. ES has all the box art on my version along with description.

IIRC my image has 790 SNES games which I think is all that were released, all Megadrive, neo geo master system and nes and a few thousand arcade games in mame, Kodi is also on the image but I don't use it on the pi.

Last edited:
The image I have has previews if you run the attract mode front end instead of emulation station. ES has all the box art on my version along with description.

IIRC my image has 790 SNES games which I think is all that were released, all Megadrive, neo geo master system and nes and a few thousand arcade games in mame, Kodi is also on the image but I don't use it on the pi.

Im swaying toward the Shield but the normal version and attaching an external 1TB hardrive which becomes the internal storage which I think it a class feature. 220 quid all in but I think its worth it considering Id have paid about 3-400 for cocktail arcade.

Gonna put hyperspin on I know its a ballache but love shit like this :lol:

Gonna buy USB arcade stick for MAME and just see how N vidia controller is for other consoles. Cant believe I was gonna buy a SNES mini now :lol:

Im swaying toward the Shield but the normal version and attaching an external 1TB hardrive which becomes the internal storage which I think it a class feature. 220 quid all in but I think its worth it considering Id have paid about 3-400 for cocktail arcade.

Gonna put hyperspin on I know its a ballache but love shit like this :lol:

Gonna buy USB arcade stick for MAME and just see how N vidia controller is for other consoles. Cant believe I was gonna buy a SNES mini now :lol:
I think arcadepunks have hyperspin images too.

You buy some canny kits on eBay to make a cab.

I think arcadepunks have hyperspin images too.

You buy some canny kits on eBay to make a cab.

It was the cab holding me back, just dont have room for it. Also will be probablys used more if its connected to TV. 220 quid isnt all that bad when you consider the consoles and MAME you can emulate well worth it.

I wouldn't buy that. Get the bare board, power supply, and a decent size memory card. Then download the image from retro pi and away you go. I never bothered with fans or heatsinks.

It was the cab holding me back, just dont have room for it. Also will be probablys used more if its connected to TV. 220 quid isnt all that bad when you consider the consoles and MAME you can emulate well worth it.
I was very tempted to build an arcade cab with all the retro games. Started to build a list of coin ops I used to play as a kid.

Mrs isn't too happy about it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy that. Get the bare board, power supply, and a decent size memory card. Then download the image from retro pi and away you go. I never bothered with fans or heatsinks.

I was very tempted to build an arcade cab with all the retro games. Started to build a list of coin ops I used to play as a kid.

Mrs isn't too happy about it.

If anyone is thinking the Shield is too expensive, its Prime day tomorrow and Tuesday, might see a healthy discount. If there is a 30 40 quid discount youd be crazy to get a Pi.

I got a pi 3.

Cooling fan.

Case.

128gb as card.

Hi mate, sorry to be a pain but can you post a few links? What cooling fan and case did you get for example? What roughly was the total cost of the above?
Does the games play fine on widescreen tvs or are they squashed?

Also, is it possible to get amiga games like championship manager 93/94?

Hi mate, sorry to be a pain but can you post a few links? What cooling fan and case did you get for example? What roughly was the total cost of the above?
Does the games play fine on widescreen tvs or are they squashed?

Also, is it possible to get amiga games like championship manager 93/94?
This is the case and similar fan i have.

Raspberry Pi 3 model b & Pi 2 b & Pi b+ Desktop Starter Kit (Black Case,Cooling Fan,Micro USB Cable,Heat sink) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017PW9LOQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_h25yzbZEX6NMQ

Pi 3b

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Quad Core CPU 1.2 GHz 1 GB RAM Motherboard https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CD5VC92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_D45yzbT4R8MQN

Power supply.

Raspberry Pi 3 Power adapter UK/EU 5V 2.5A https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CCR5P8U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_E75yzb37PK8R8

Add a memory card of your choice, I got a 128gb SanDisk.

As for champ manager I'd imagine a Rom is available but not 100% sure.

Display is ok on my 40" tv. It will look nicer on a smaller screen which is what I will have in a cab (one day).

This is the case and similar fan i have.

Raspberry Pi 3 model b & Pi 2 b & Pi b+ Desktop Starter Kit (Black Case,Cooling Fan,Micro USB Cable,Heat sink) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017PW9LOQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_h25yzbZEX6NMQ

Pi 3b

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Quad Core CPU 1.2 GHz 1 GB RAM Motherboard https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CD5VC92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_D45yzbT4R8MQN

Power supply.

Raspberry Pi 3 Power adapter UK/EU 5V 2.5A https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CCR5P8U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_E75yzb37PK8R8

Add a memory card of your choice, I got a 128gb SanDisk.

As for champ manager I'd imagine a Rom is available but not 100% sure.

Display is ok on my 40" tv. It will look nicer on a smaller screen which is what I will have in a cab (one day).

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated. Probably a daft question but can you play with two controllers? Do you need a mouse?

Is this the type of memory card you got?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/q3s/SanD...&qid=1499701531&sr=1-6&keywords=128gb+sandisk

Do you need any cables?

Last edited:
Thanks for that mate, much appreciated. Probably a daft question but can you play with two controllers? Do you need a mouse?

Is this the type of memory card you got?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/q3s/SanD...&qid=1499701531&sr=1-6&keywords=128gb+sandisk
You can have up to 4 controllers, think tmnt in the arcade!

You don't need a mouse but a wireless keyboard is good to have imo, I use a riimote keyboard Mainly for powering the system down correctly to stop card corruption.

This is the card I got.

SanDisk Ultra 128 GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with SD Adapter - Frustration Free Packaging https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013UDL5HU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_so6yzb9QXFP2V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back