Sna watch

I saw some cars up ahead seemingly in trouble, one was even spinning his wheels and crabbing along sideways, front wheel drive n’all. So, I stopped to give myself a run at whatever was troubling them. When I got there I just drove straight through without the slightest problem. Some people just seem to have no idea.

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago. The road into the office car park is on a slight incline. Some twonk in an a3 sat there revving the tits of his car and the front end crabbing left and right. I just drove around him without issue.

Our company handbook says don’t even attempt to come in if conditions are dangerous. Define “dangerous”...

I think mine says something like so long you make reasonable attempt or something..... I think standing at a bus stop from 6:20am to 7:35am and then sitting on a bus for about 30 minutes and it only moving less than half a mile a reasonable attempt....

I tracked the bus I was supposed to get to work with, using the GNE app, that one eventually made it into Newcastle at about 11am!

Travelled from Boro to Motherwell this morning, a journey that would normally take 3 hours took 5.

First off, A66 shut, so had to go via the road to hell which is the A69. A19 nose to tail over the flyover, crawling along onto the A689 to get to the A1. Thick snow here, outside lane not passible. Gets to the garage and traffic stopped for half an hour - didn't move. Got going again, got onto the A1, wet, but not too bad. Metro centre a joke again. Finally got onto the A69 and not too bad, but not good either. Got onto the M6/M74 and no problems at all, all the way to Motherwell.

The school bus can't get here so the bairn can't get to school.

Popped out and topped everything up first thing 🐦
Bet she was happy about that! Mine is buzzing we're still staying at my mams in the middle of nowhere he never usually gets a snow day living across the road from school now he's had 2 in 2 weeks
Can't get up the bank to even attempt to get to work. Vans and cars stuck. Problem is I'm told by our councillor the road was gritted at half 5 where I live. I've checked my CCTV and it started snowing at 4.50am. Bad planning really when they have the technology to tell you when the snow is coming. Granted grit doesn't always help, spreading it 40 minutes after it started snowing is incredibly poor planning. Makes me laugh the council saying they are clearing town centre paths... Nobody can get to them because of the roads.
At the risk of sounding boring, laying grit before it snows and while it starts is pointless, the gritting teams are onto a hiding when it snows at that time of day as there's not enough cars on the road to activate the grit and it's still snowing heavily so it's a waste of time laying it as it just washes away. By the time it stops/there's cars to activate there's so many people on the road who don't know how to drive in it the ploughs can't get through.

Last edited:
Bet she was happy about that! Mine is buzzing we're still staying at my mams in the middle of nowhere he never usually gets a snow day living across the road from school now he's had 2 in 2 weeks

She was. She still went to the bus stop but then rang to say the bus hadn't arrived. I rang the depot and he said the buses were unable to get out. I rang her back and there was a collective cheer at the bus stop :lol:

School was still open and they tweeted to say bring the children in if you could. I looked on the travel map and it was gridlocked from here to Durham, so I said it was pointless going out and sitting in it. At half nine, they decided to officially close the school but the ones who had managed to get there have to stay all day unless a parent collects them. I'm pleased I didn't try to get her there now, as I'd been annoyed struggling through to a closed school.

She was. She still went to the bus stop but then rang to say the bus hadn't arrived. I rang the depot and he said the buses were unable to get out. I rang her back and there was a collective cheer at the bus stop :lol:

School was still open and they tweeted to say bring the children in if you could. I looked on the travel map and it was gridlocked from here to Durham, so I said it was pointless going out and sitting in it. At half nine, they decided to officially close the school but the ones who had managed to get there have to stay all day unless a parent collects them. I'm pleased I didn't try to get her there now, as I'd been annoyed struggling through to a closed school.

Yeah his was opening at 10 for those who had alternative transport but I wasn't going to attempt to get out especially as the baby is totally bunged up with cold so she's just wanted to feed all day. Watched our CCTV and couldn't see any of the buses leaving the car park so there mustnt have been many kids turned up so glad I didn't bother

At the risk of sounding boring, laying grit before it snows and while it starts is pointless, the gritting teams are onto a hiding when it snows at that time of day as there's not enough cars on the road to activate the grit and it's still snowing heavily so it's a waste of time laying it as it just washes away. By the time it stops/there's cars to activate there's so many people on the road who don't know how to drive in it the ploughs can't get through.
My dad used to do the gritting for Easington Council many years ago and you will be astounded at the amount of cost cutting that used to go on back then, where they would literally do the bare minimum especially if they were ordered out a second time on a night. Can't imagine it's any better now. The road near me the council claimed was gritted at 5.24am, it started snowing at 4.50am. just smacks of bad planning and it used to happen a lot with the management. Nowt against the lads doing the gritting, they chance to be loving the overtime, my dad used to pray for snow every day when he was on duty lol. Fortunately a few residents help salt the bank and clean it up a bit helped with the rain about 9.30am which enabled me and others to get to work. I just don't think Durham Council help themselves and given how it used to be, I'm not surprised. Just grateful it rained about half 9. East Durham always get it bad with the snow, was nowt once I hit castle Eden and headed to boro

Last edited:

Back