Smoking partner

Finding a wife who does none of the above is a tall order in Hartlepool mind matey!;)
Aye you're right, mate.
I better lower my standards a bit. 😉
Finding a wife who'll tolerate me, is an even taller order. 😂

Late 90s me n me mate were queueing to get in 42, he had big sideburns, this lass screams “ere youve got more hair on yer face than I have round me minge”
:p
Can you give me her phone number ? 😊

I was on a night out in Church street many years ago, when I seen a lass run from the Shades Hotel, into the middle of the road, to a traffic island, where she hoisted up her skirt, pulled her knickers down, and squatted for a piss, in full view of hundreds of people.
I fell instantly in lust with her. 😂

Can you give me her phone number ? 😊

I was on a night out in Church street many years ago, when I seen a lass run from the Shades Hotel, into the middle of the road, to a traffic island, where she hoisted up her skirt, pulled her knickers down, and squatted for a piss, in full view of hundreds of people.
I fell instantly in lust with her. 😂

Unfortunately was that pre camera phone marra.;)

On the other hand, it’s a nightmare trying to find a lass that smokes if youre dating these days. You’re halfway through the first pint and you invariably have to ask the question “do you smoke or do you mind if I have one?”

Several years ago ( in the 80’s ) I knew a lass who liked a smoke , she smoked so many cigarettes she had a Nicotine tas .... and several boxes of Embassy coupons 🤢🤮

Tbh Horley I'm going through the wringer a bit this week but I've got broad shoulders so I'll just get on with it. Nothing else to do, get on or give up, so I'm getting on. 💪

Take care of yourself. 👍
Sorry to hear that GS.
I hope whatever is troubling you, can be satisfactorily resolved, and you'll soon be back to your cheery best.
I'll be around if you feel like a chinwag.
Take care, anyway, Miss S. x

Logon or register to see this image

Anyone else on here a non smoker with a cigarette smoking partner. My 35 yr old wife, smokes a lot, I’ll never get it.... always looking to light up. And I’m sure she’s getting more breathless/ winded from light exercise. Now I’m not bothered about her being a smoker from my point of view, but don’t smokers realise their consumption and breathlessness?
Both my wives smoked when I met them. I hated it anarl :lol:

One of my mates has been hiding the fact that he smokes from his wife. He has been getting away with it for 25 years.

Life is dictated by tabs if you are a smoker, more so a secret smoker, when can you fit one in and I’ll have one before a meeting or something coming up.
I’m glad I’m off them, I understand how hard it is to give up on them. It is possible for anyone

That was my experience when my wife smoked.

One of the biggest arguments we ever had, was over that. We had to go somewhere, and I was running late. I came in from work, she was dressed up ready to go, and I was running around like an idiot getting ready, with her constantly getting twitchy about the fact we were cutting it fine to get to the function. She went on and on about how this had been planned for months and we were going to be late.
So I rush myself ready, throw myself into my finest and get to the front door.

To find she has just lit up a cigarette and now wants "a moment"

I hit the roof. As I said in another post on here, when they want a tab, the world is expected to wait. They will find a reason to tell themselves why everything can wait as well!

Would you say it's been a life changing / eye opening decision mate?
100% life changing and eye opening.....yep.
I used to cough all the time. I didn't realise how much I stunk of smoke. My fingers were always yellowing even though I made a conscious effort to ensure they didn't get like that.
I feel brand new compared to what I did feel like. I got an appetite and my colour back in my face/skin.
My cough is a thing of the past.
My teeth have whitened a lot..even though they weren't badly stained whilst being a smoker....but they were yellowy and it's like a smokers house where you paint the ceiling and never realised just how yellow it was. Do you get me?

I realised how selfish I was to my wife and kids. The kids are grown up now but I was massively selfish. They moaned about me smoking.....not just because it affected them but because they could see what I was like.

Hands down by far the best thing ever I've done in my life, apart from obviously having my wife and family.
I've smoked for roughly 12-13 years now and feel ill off it at the age of 27. I do plenty exercise and that but sometimes find myself in bed struggling to get proper breaths in.
I can promise you one thing. If you stop you'll be a new person and have a totally new outlook....I swear that to you.
I was the ultimate martyr where giving up smoking was concerned. I actually made as many excuses as needed to ensure I stayed a smoker. It was nuts.
The best I achieved for stopping was a for 2 weeks and I ended up buying hamlet cigars, thinking one a day would sort me out.
I ended up smoking 5, then 10, then making myself sick, so back to the baccy/tabs.
My son once said to me " dad....if you had the opportunity to stop smoking, would you take it?" I said " yes I would, son."
I had a bad cold/flu for a while and try and I might I could not smoke a tab. My wife said " I can't believe you're still trying to smoke with that."
I went a week without a smoke. I started to feel better but thought back to my son and what he said and I thought "no way am I going to ruin this week. I'm going to have a good old crack at this and cold turkey it."
2 weeks passed and I was feeling proud but craving.
3 weeks passed. I was feeling even more proud by still craving.

Now here's the key. I also stopped going out for a drink because I was determined not to fall into the drink in and wits out charade.
4 weeks passed and by this time the craving...although still nibbling at me, I'd learned to control it...and the way I did that was to stop feeling as though I'm being cheated.
This is the biggest barrier to stopping.
You see, when I smoked I'd always be taking a smoke break every (what seemed like half an hour)....at home, when I was doing anything. At graft it was as and when.

You see, you always find a way to believe you deserve a reward of a tab or with a cuppa or at any point you can find.
It controls your mind.
There's nothing good about smoking mate. It seems like there is when you're doing it, obviously...but you realise when you stop and mean it, that it's a habit that comes with all kinds of horribleness.

I know people will have a go and say " ohhh look at him, just because he's stopped he's going all high and mighty." I promise anyone I'm not.
I'm simply seeing the same side as a non smoker sees only I have the experience of knowing the ins and outs of it all.

If you want to feel like a new person....and I absolutely promise you this. Stop smoking if you're a moderate to heavy smoker...and by heavy I mean over 10 a day.
If people can have a few a day and have done for a long time then even I wouldn't give advice.
However, the few a day smokers are few and far between and some of those generally go hell for leather if drink is involved, by smoking a pack or more in a day.

If you want to stop and make yourself feel better in all ways, you need to set yourself a few ground rules and stick to them.

1...... Set yourself a reason for stopping. Think about what people have said to you. Think about how you're feeling whilst smoking. Think about how your house and clothes smell to others, even if you don't notice it yourself, because I promise you, non smokers will think you're a walking ash tray.

2.....Don't hide away from people who do smoke around you. It might seem counter productive but trust me, it helps with your will power and eventual distaste of it as you go farther down the non smoking line.

3...... Any tasks you do where your reward was a smoke break, turn it into a cup of coffee and a mint or boiled sweet for after. Just one now and again and don't substitute sweets or mints for every craving.

4...... When you start to think of a tab (get the craving) channel the thought into a sickening thought. I know it sounds daft but you can dispel the craving in a minute-ish and go about your business.
Do this every time and as you do it, always tell yourself the more days that pass the better you get, both in health and well being and also a realisation that your cravings are coming much less over the day.
You must not think about your love for a tab. Think about the bad of it all.

5..... You'll know the benefits within a few short weeks.
You'll get your senses back, bit by bit. Smell and taste.
Your breathing will be a bit better and your body will start to get rid of the crap that's clogging inside your lungs and with each day your breathing will become stronger and your colour will start to come back into your face/body...even if you think you don't look off colour.
When you're doing tasks, you'll find them much easier to do and also walking upstairs will be much easier.
This will all be in just a month or two.

6..... Never look at another person smoking and feel like you're being cheated and starting to envy them. This is a massive barrier to you stopping smoking, so channel it into feeling sorry for them that they haven't took the plunge like you....without actually telling them that...of course.

And if you're reading this and saying " I know but I don't have any will power and it's easy for someone to just say it."
Trust me. I really mean this. I thought that.
What you have to remember is, you're going to be doing something against your body and that is, you are taking away what your body's relied on and the thought of the craving/reaction of your body, stops you taking that plungs.
But just remember one thing. Your body is not as dependent on it as you may think.
You can do without a tab for 8/9/10 hours a day and that's just sleeping.
If your body was in full craving you would be waking up every hour for a smoke.
Basically it's about your own mindset and your own belief in the benefits of giving up and the crappy feeling you have, knowing it is down to those tabs.

Don't let anyone convince you that cutting down is better. It's not. Cutting down will last for a short period whilst you con yourself and then you'll find a way to rampo it back up and even make up for lost tabs. Mad I know but it's the truth.
It's like those dieters.
They cut down their food and then find every reason in the book as to why they can gorge. A birthday party. Christmas. A night out drinking and a buffet.
One bar of dairy milk and a chinese in won't harm....ll work a bit harder tomorrow and eat a bit less.
You get the picture.
It's more trouble to your body than you think.

Also, don't use vapes as a substitute if you can help it.
Just go for it and control it and I absolutely swear to you, within 6 months you will feel massively different but the changes up to that 6 months will be plain to see.

Once you've hit 3 months your cravings will be a minute every few hours. Easy peasy. And use that minute to take deep breaths and realise you can take deep breaths.
Not only does it dispel your craving by doing the breathing, it also makes you appreciate just why you are breathing like that.
These are all the things I did and I wouldn't thank you for free tabs for life and I can absolutely say that I will never smoke another cigarette for as long as I live.
I enjoy breathing properly and not smelling like an ashtray......etc.
A few things you will notice quite quickly which becomes more acute as time goes on.

1. You will smell a tab a mile off.

2. You will smell the ashtray on people's clothes, who smoke.

I sincerely hope you go for it and I'd be interested in feedback from you if you do.
But make sure you do it because you want to. You have to want to.

It's easy for me to tell you to have a go or someone else....but if you do it on behalf of someone else you're not being true to yourself and will feel like you're under some kind of forced duress.

Do it for you...for your health and well being and the benefit to others will be massively apparent.

Good luck.

Last edited:
100% life changing and eye opening.....yep.
I used to cough all the time. I didn't realise how much I stunk of smoke. My fingers were always yellowing even though I made a conscious effort to ensure they didn't get like that.
I feel brand new compared to what I did feel like. I got an appetite and my colour back in my face/skin.
My cough is a thing of the past.
My teeth have whitened a lot..even though they weren't badly stained whilst being a smoker....but they were yellowy and it's like a smokers house where you paint the ceiling and never realised just how yellow it was. Do you get me?

I realised how selfish I was to my wife and kids. The kids are grown up now but I was massively selfish. They moaned about me smoking.....not just because it affected them but because they could see what I was like.

Hands down by far the best thing ever I've done in my life, apart from obviously having my wife and family.
I can promise you one thing. If you stop you'll be a new person and have a totally new outlook....I swear that to you.
I was the ultimate martyr where giving up smoking was concerned. I actually made as many excuses as needed to ensure I stayed a smoker. It was nuts.
The best I achieved for stopping was a for 2 weeks and I ended up buying hamlet cigars, thinking one a day would sort me out.
I ended up smoking 5, then 10, then making myself sick, so back to the baccy/tabs.
My son once said to me " dad....if you had the opportunity to stop smoking, would you take it?" I said " yes I would, son."
I had a bad cold/flu for a while and try and I might I could not smoke a tab. My wife said " I can't believe you're still trying to smoke with that."
I went a week without a smoke. I started to feel better but thought back to my son and what he said and I thought "no way am I going to ruin this week. I'm going to have a good old crack at this and cold turkey it."
2 weeks passed and I was feeling proud but craving.
3 weeks passed. I was feeling even more proud by still craving.

Now here's the key. I also stopped going out for a drink because I was determined not to fall into the drink in and wits out charade.
4 weeks passed and by this time the craving...although still nibbling at me, I'd learned to control it...and the way I did that was to stop feeling as though I'm being cheated.
This is the biggest barrier to stopping.
You see, when I smoked I'd always be taking a smoke break every (what seemed like half an hour)....at home, when I was doing anything. At graft it was as and when.

You see, you always find a way to believe you deserve a reward of a tab or with a cuppa or at any point you can find.
It controls your mind.
There's nothing good about smoking mate. It seems like there is when you're doing it, obviously...but you realise when you stop and mean it, that it's a habit that comes with all kinds of horribleness.

I know people will have a go and say " ohhh look at him, just because he's stopped he's going all high and mighty." I promise anyone I'm not.
I'm simply seeing the same side as a non smoker sees only I have the experience of knowing the ins and outs of it all.

If you want to feel like a new person....and I absolutely promise you this. Stop smoking if you're a moderate to heavy smoker...and by heavy I mean over 10 a day.
If people can have a few a day and have done for a long time then even I wouldn't give advice.
However, the few a day smokers are few and far between and some of those generally go hell for leather if drink is involved, by smoking a pack or more in a day.

If you want to stop and make yourself feel better in all ways, you need to set yourself a few ground rules and stick to them.

1...... Set yourself a reason for stopping. Think about what people have said to you. Think about how you're feeling whilst smoking. Think about how your house and clothes smell to others, even if you don't notice it yourself, because I promise you, non smokers will think you're a walking ash tray.

2.....Don't hide away from people who do smoke around you. It might seem counter productive but trust me, it helps with your will power and eventual distaste of it as you go farther down the non smoking line.

3...... Any tasks you do where your reward was a smoke break, turn it into a cup of coffee and a mint or boiled sweet for after. Just one now and again and don't substitute sweets or mints for every craving.

4...... When you start to think of a tab (get the craving) channel the thought into a sickening thought. I know it sounds daft but you can dispel the craving in a minute-ish and go about your business.
Do this every time and as you do it, always tell yourself the more days that pass the better you get, both in health and well being and also a realisation that your cravings are coming much less over the day.
You must not think about your love for a tab. Think about the bad of it all.

5..... You'll know the benefits within a few short weeks.
You'll get your senses back, bit by bit. Smell and taste.
Your breathing will be a bit better and your body will start to get rid of the crap that's clogging inside your lungs and with each day your breathing will become stronger and your colour will start to come back into your face/body...even if you think you don't look off colour.
When you're doing tasks, you'll find them much easier to do and also walking upstairs will be much easier.
This will all be in just a month or two.

6..... Never look at another person smoking and feel like you're being cheated and starting to envy them. This is a massive barrier to you stopping smoking, so channel it into feeling sorry for them that they haven't took the plunge like you....without actually telling them that...of course.

And if you're reading this and saying " I know but I don't have any will power and it's easy for someone to just say it."
Trust me. I really mean this. I thought that.
What you have to remember is, you're going to be doing something against your body and that is, you are taking away what your body's relied on and the thought of the craving/reaction of your body, stops you taking that plungs.
But just remember one thing. Your body is not as dependent on it as you may think.
You can do without a tab for 8/9/10 hours a day and that's just sleeping.
If your body was in full craving you would be waking up every hour for a smoke.
Basically it's about your own mindset and your own belief in the benefits of giving up and the crappy feeling you have, knowing it is down to those tabs.

Don't let anyone convince you that cutting down is better. It's not. Cutting down will last for a short period whilst you con yourself and then you'll find a way to rampo it back up and even make up for lost tabs. Mad I know but it's the truth.
It's like those dieters.
They cut down their food and then find every reason in the book as to why they can gorge. A birthday party. Christmas. A night out drinking and a buffet.
One bar of dairy milk and a chinese in won't harm....ll work a bit harder tomorrow and eat a bit less.
You get the picture.
It's more trouble to your body than you think.

Also, don't use vapes as a substitute if you can help it.
Just go for it and control it and I absolutely swear to you, within 6 months you will feel massively different but the changes up to that 6 months will be plain to see.

Once you've hit 3 months your cravings will be a minute every few hours. Easy peasy. And use that minute to take deep breaths and realise you can take deep breaths.
Not only does it dispel your craving by doing the breathing, it also makes you appreciate just why you are breathing like that.
These are all the things I did and I wouldn't thank you for free tabs for life and I can absolutely say that I will never smoke another cigarette for as long as I live.
I enjoy breathing properly and not smelling like an ashtray......etc.
A few things you will notice quite quickly which becomes more acute as time goes on.

1. You will smell a tab a mile off.

2. You will smell the ashtray on people's clothes, who smoke.

I sincerely hope you go for it and I'd be interested in feedback from you if you do.
But make sure you do it because you want to. You have to want to.

It's easy for me to tell you to have a go or someone else....but if you do it on behalf of someone else you're not being true to yourself and will feel like you're under some kind of forced duress.

Do it for you...for your health and well being and the benefit to others will be massively apparent.

Good luck.

Cracking advice and input mate, really appreciate that.

I'm doing sober October so will have actually not had a drink for 5 weeks as of 01/11. I have started smoking a bit more in this time on a daily basis if I'm honest and I think it's physiological as I know I'm not going to go through 20-30 on a Friday or Saturday night, therefore I'm almost compensating for that so I'm having around 10 a day at the minute.

Im really enjoying not drinking mind and after 3 weeks can feel a huge difference in the way I feel. Can imagine it will be the same with the tabs. I think I'll continue as I am at the minute until the end of the month then I will stop on 01/11 and continue to abstain from alcohol.

I'll give you a heads up on how things go if you want.

Lol, yeah, but she just shays she loves it and doesn’t count how many, and blames breathlessness on the extra timber, I mean curves she’s carrying
Nice double , the prospect of emphysema and type 2 diabetes 😎
Not judging , I've been there but seriously life passes quick and you get either of the above and they will be significantly limiting.

Stopped a few times for 6 weeks at a time (due to abstaining from alcohol) but always end up back on them as soon as I drink.
Yep. The drink is a massive barrier.
Once you have a pint you want a tab. A routine.
It's far from easy but can be made massively easier if you channel your mind, as I've mentioned.

Think of it like this.
Imagine having an old motor that's struggling and is starting to rattle and look tatty.
You rely on that motor to get you from A to B, no matter what it looks like.

Someone comes along as says " let me take your motor for a month and I'll bring it back looking much better."
You'll likely argue that you'd be left without your comfort and would struggle to get around. Your mind can see the benefits but you don't want to spend that month without your rattler.

If you can go about with a mindset of " ahhh, in a month I'll have a decent car back and I can get about much better and feel much better in it."

This is just like the stopping smoking carry on.

Anyway I've waffled on with overkill.........but......if you can take something from it, then it's worth it.

I hope others have a go, if you do.

Back