Smokers

Maybe your mates are not, but lots of smokers are selfish.

They stand in doorways making you breath it in, drop litter frequently, walk along paths meaning others have to breath it in.

Any smoker that has children under 16 is by definition selfish as they inflict the dirt on to those too young to make an informed decision on whether to suffer it.

Only because they're not allowed to smoke inside anymore due to selfish non-smokers bringing in a stupid law that bans indoor smoking outright from pubs etc. rather than giving scope for places to buy suitable air extraction devices for smoking rooms.

It's great how it's becoming totally socially unacceptable now. And smokers are having to slope off for their vile pleasures.

One thing I really hate seeing these days is parents smoking around their kids. Awful sight. Mothers pushing the bairn with a tab in their gob.

Maybe your mates are not, but lots of smokers are selfish.

They stand in doorways making you breath it in, drop litter frequently, walk along paths meaning others have to breath it in.

Any smoker that has children under 16 is by definition selfish as they inflict the dirt on to those too young to make an informed decision on whether to suffer it.
Sounds horrific mate. Walking past some smokers and that.

Only because they're not allowed to smoke inside anymore due to selfish non-smokers bringing in a stupid law that bans indoor smoking outright from pubs etc. rather than giving scope for places to buy suitable air extraction devices for smoking rooms.
Stop it! You're making me nostalgic about the threads on here when the ban came into force :)

Nah but as with most things, Haroldolphus, the more data you accumulate the more reliable/accurate the conclusions you can draw from it.

It’s an inconvenient conclusion for both of us but then we both accept the risks of it, right?

Not sure. Who do they include as a teetotaller? Lifelong non-drinkers only? Or does that include recovering alcoholics?

Dunno. I was told this stat by a brewery owner.

smokers put a lot more money into the system than they take out. Depending on which report you believe, it's somewhere between 8x and 10x as much that they pay in tobacco taxes than they take out in nhs medical costs, and that doesn't even take into account that they also draw less money out of pension funds than non-smokers by dying earlier. The report I read says it's a lot closer than that, and without other ancillary costs due to illnesses too. Bottom line, I don't believe the 8-10x figures.

Smokers are the saints of modern Britain, nobly killing themselves for the sake of the ungrateful populace that berates them and calls them smelly.
So why do most of them want to give up? Bastards.

And who would pay for separate sealed rooms and air extraction devices?

And who would pay for separate sealed rooms and air extraction devices?

Any pubs that wanted to attract smokers.

Think about it... if there's a town where all the pubs are non-smoking and one pub decides to pay to have a smoking room with proper air extraction so that it's as safe to the non-smokers as sitting outside, where do you think all the smokers of the town are going to go to drink? Along with all their mates.

They'd make a killing!

Any pubs that wanted to attract smokers.

Think about it... if there's a town where all the pubs are non-smoking and one pub decides to pay to have a smoking room with proper air extraction so that it's as safe to the non-smokers as sitting outside, where do you think all the smokers of the town are going to go to drink? Along with all their mates.

They'd make a killing!
What pub is going to build a business model based purely on attracting 15% of the population, to the exclusion of the rest? Most smokers I bet would prefer to stand outside their local for 10 minutes than go halfway across town to sit inside a strange pub, wouldn't they?

What pub is going to build a business model based purely on attracting 15% of the population, to the exclusion of the rest? Most smokers I bet would prefer to stand outside their local for 10 minutes than go halfway across town to sit inside a strange pub, wouldn't they?

15% of the population, plus their mates, and not excluding anyone because the "adequate air extraction" mentioned before would make it safe for all.

Given a prime central location and all other aspects being equal, it's a damn good business model in my opinion.

And on a rainy or cold snowy day I'm sure most smokers would rather be indoors than freezing their asses off or getting soaked.

15% of the population, plus their mates, and not excluding anyone because the "adequate air extraction" mentioned before would make it safe for all.

Given a prime central location and all other aspects being equal, it's a damn good business model in my opinion.

And on a rainy or cold snowy day I'm sure most smokers would rather be indoors than freezing their asses off or getting soaked.
Haha, laughable. If you think it's a great idea you go for it.

There is no way non smokers would happily share a room with smokers, even if they are mates. No matter what extraction you install it will still stink and still cause you cancer.

Haha, laughable. If you think it's a great idea you go for it.

There is no way non smokers would happily share a room with smokers, even if they are mates. No matter what extraction you install it will still stink and still cause you cancer.

Firstly, I couldn't if I wanted to because the anti-smoking law wouldn't allow it even if you installed a Formula 1 wind tunnel in your pub.

Secondly, in response to "no matter what extraction", that was the whole point of using the word "adequate". Scientifically there is a certain amount of extraction that could make a room essentially smoke free.

Firstly, I couldn't if I wanted to because the anti-smoking law wouldn't allow it even if you installed a Formula 1 wind tunnel in your pub.

Secondly, in response to "no matter what extraction", that was the whole point of using the word "adequate". Scientifically there is a certain amount of extraction that could make a room essentially smoke free.
Ok, I'll bow to your greater knowledge. Doesn't sound a pleasant experience for anyone though? Noisy / gale force wind like?

Blyth like most places good and bad. However, It's not a rare sight to observe smackheads and general wasters, ransacking the ashtrays outside supermarkets for dog ends. Anyone else been privy to this behaviour ?

should have sold em

A former tobacco salesman who was given free cigarettes as a perk of the job and now has inoperable lung cancer is hoping to sue his ex-employer.

Lawyers say they are also looking at bringing other cases against British American Tobacco (BAT) on behalf of former employees.

Simon Neale, 57, was given 1,200 cigarettes a month to give away or use, becoming a regular and heavy smoker while he worked for Rothmans, which later merged with BAT.

Tobacco salesman given 1,200 free cigarettes a month has inoperable lung cancer

Back