SMBs top musician

You were a roadie for Motörhead

No. Although I did have a few interesting evenings with them as I (barely) recall.

In truth: I ‘introduced’ a band at Reading Festival in the early 80s, I sang in a (local) band, I managed bands and sang (shouted) backing vocals and provided a couple of vocal background things coz I happened to be in the studio and I played guitar during sound checks at those mentioned venues - plus a few others I’d expect. All separate events and all ‘back in the day’.

Just having a larf And talking bollocks. As no doubt everybody, realised.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really simple. You can do it right now. If I asked you to sing the first verse and chorus of, say, summer of 69, I bet you could do it.

A bit of practice and you can do anything mate :)
a parrot can to be fair ,yet be useless on a harp

She was canny mate.
I play in a brass band marra.
We played with Dave Stewart at his 60th birthday gig at the empire and at the final Billy Elliot show in the west end. Elton John came on stage with us at the end and shook everyone's hand and posed for photos.
The best part was meeting Mark Hamill who had been in the audience and came over to see us after the show and we took photos
Wow, I'm impressed...and although completely tone deaf until later life I actually mastered the trombone at school. So, I awat my moment of fame...fingers crossed :D
An octopus can play seven instruments, on the other hand.
Plus octopussy's (s that the plural) invented the octave :D

Last edited:
No. Although I did have a few interesting evenings with them as I (barely) recall.

In truth: I ‘introduced’ a band at Reading Festival in the early 80s, I sang in a (local) band, I managed bands and sang (shouted) backing vocals and provided a couple of vocal background things coz I happened to be in the studio and I played guitar during sound checks at those mentioned venues - plus a few others I’d expect. All separate events and all ‘back in the day’.

Just having a larf And talking bollocks. As no doubt everybody, realised.
I think muscians take the piss out of themselves more than any other profession...

I have appeared on stage in front of approximately 75000 people, sang on stage and on albums that charted in the uk top 20, and played guitar on stage at the London Marquee and Hammersmith Odeon
Mate of mine was lead singer for the Sunderland band Vega Vega and they played the Marquee Club, they were dire and disappeared without trace.

The next phase is taking it (the not hard-earned melody) and fleshing it out using the skills you've learned i.e. which chords for verse or middle 8 intro/outro? This process will present you with many different options but not always. Sometimes the whole thing just falls into place, almost like it's already written you're just clearing out the clutter in your head to help the song reveal itself.

This process was well covered in The Beatles "Get Back" movie recently. all those famous songs were born of a simple/main riff or vocal melody and the writer has to decide which direction to take the melody when connecting the main part to other parts, verses exc This is absolutely key. If you get this part wrong, you end up with an album filler or it get's shelved.

I like the saying 'Greater than the sum of it's parts' and The Beatles were most definitely that.
The 'process' that the film revealed was utterly fascinating. Either John or Paul would rock up with an idea and the other would bat it back with a few changes as they gradually and skilfully honed it into a great and memorable song. They were both very good at trusting the other and letting the evolution happen. George, on the other hand, didn't have the same relationship and tended to see changes as rejection rather than evolution. He wanted his songs to sound the way he heard them in his head and that, basically, is why the Beatles broke up- not some nonsense about girlfriends.

Places I've played drums....Wembley Arena, Royal albert Hall and Yankee Stadium.

Used to sound check drums with Mungo Jerry when I was about 10...

numerous gigs with old Musicians from yester year..

written various drum books for drum corps around the country

1998 individual snare Senior British champion....1999 British drum Corps Champion

gigged loads on drums and backing vocals.

Very self deprecating profession.

I'm absolutely f***ing tremendous me though.
There’s a very important difference between the phrases “Listen to this. Isn’t it great?” and “Listen to this. Aren’t I great?”
Mate of mine was lead singer for the Sunderland band Vega Vega and they played the Marquee Club, they were dire and disappeared without trace.

I have always managed to be a dire singer who disappeared without trace whilst signally failing to be from either Sunderland or be your mate in Vega Vega.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like changing the words to existing songs to make them a bit silly (or rude) - mostly off the cuff and just generally being daft about the house. I've 'rewritten' two verses and the chorus to Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla so that's it's all about me bunny rabbit. :lol:
She’s epileptic,
She rolls around in a fit on the carpet,
She’s got a boil on her arse has gone septic,
And she needs more cream.

She’s a spastik,
Her tits are made of plastic,
She’s lost her knicker elastic,
So she uses string.

Two verses I used to substitute back in the day when I was playing a few acoustic gigs.

There’s a very important difference between the phrases “Listen to this. Isn’t it great?” and “Listen to this. Aren’t I great?”

I have always managed to be a dire singer who disappeared without trace whilst signally failing to be from either Sunderland or be your mate in Vega Vega.

Hope this helps.
I prefer, "look at me, I'm lush!" ;)

She’s epileptic,
She rolls around in a fit on the carpet,
She’s got a boil on her arse has gone septic,
And she needs more cream.

She’s a spastik,
Her tits are made of plastic,
She’s lost her knicker elastic,
So she uses string.

Two verses I used to substitute back in the day when I was playing a few acoustic gigs.
I think we may be related...don't do covers anymore, but used to mess with the lyrics through utter boredom.

A lad in my year from school is/was very involved with a Durham punk band Voorhees. From what I understand the band has done fairly well over the years.
As for me, I can play three chords very badly.
Im guessing thats after Jason Vorhees Friday 13th ? Good band in Sunderland called Logoz. Very pop punk based.

Reckon my old man must be in for a shout for this. He gets on here but I don’t know his username lol! He’s had a very successful career with multiple artists, and is still out there gigging round the world. Incredible musician and very proud to have him as my Dad.
I think we have the winner. Not sure if it is allowed to post his name but seeing as he is a bono fide “rock star” I can’t see why not.

I have seen your dad numerous times live and he is a superb musician.

im going out with the dogs now but come back later I will post a photo you may like.

Dont get too excited mind, it’s not very good.

I’m usually a disappointment to people.

Back