SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Anyone know why Johny O Mara and Luke Bambridge are playing doubles with different partners this week and are actually playing against one another right now despite winning the last 2 tournaments as a pairing?

Really good match between Stephens and Bertens. Stephens winning 7-6 2-6 6-3. Bertens was probably the better player in the first set, definitely in the second and had 2-0 in the third but Stephens took over after a couple of double faults got her back in the set. I'm pleased because I'm not a huge Bertens fan, but also because it keeps this group wide open. Had Bertens won, she would have qualified as group winner, Osaka would have been eliminated and it would have come down to Stephens vs Kerber for the runner up spot, but now, anyone could still go through and anyone can still be eliminated.

It's pretty complicated - if Stephens wins, she is through. She'll also go through regardless if Osaka beats Bertens. Osaka is out if she is loses. There are complicated scenarios if Kerber beats Stephens and then Bertens beats Osaka, or if Stephens beats Kereber and then Osaka beats Bertens as there'll either be 3 players on 2 wins or 3 players on 1 win each, but it's much better that there is something riding on both matches. There's been some proper late finishes here - it was well after 1am local time today.

Anyone know why Johny O Mara and Luke Bambridge are playing doubles with different partners this week and are actually playing against one another right now despite winning the last 2 tournaments as a pairing?

Apparently O'Mara was meant to partner Nys last week in Sweden, but Nys was injured so the Brits paired up together last minute. Doesn't really answer your question mind and it looks like this is the first time O'M and Nys have paired this year. Can't see any hint of a fallout or anything with Bambridge and they were complimentary to each other after winning the title last week - strange.

Last edited:
Svitolina topped her group winning all 3 matches and Pliskova finished 2nd. Stephens also won all 3 matches to top her group and is joined by Bertens in the semi finals. So tomorrow it's:

Svitolina vs Bertens 9am
Stephens vs Pliskova 12.30pm

There's not a great deal in these players and certainly no dominant player (at the moment), but quite interesting how the 1-4 ranked players all crashed out and 5-8 all advanced.

I'm hoping for a Svitolina-Stephens final.

So it is Stephens vs Svitolina. Nice to see them coming in with 4 wins each from their 4 matches rather than losing 2 group matches and sneaking through the back door like 2 years ago.

I'm predicting 3 sets and probably Sloane to come through. There's been some very good matches this week and hopefully this end the tournament nicely.

A lot has happened since this last post. Svitolina won the WTA finals in Singapore on Sunday, beating Stephens 3-6 6-2 6-2 to take her biggest title to date. The next batch of women (ranked 9-20, minus withdrawals) are currently competing in Zhuhai for the WTA Elite Trophy. Defending champion Goerges is through to the semi finals and will be joined by one of Wang/Keys, one of Muguruza/Sevastova and one of Sabalenka/Garcia/Barty, all of which will be decided tomorrow.

They've reached the QF stage of the Paris Masters:

Sock vs Thiem
A Zverev vs Khachanov
Nishikori vs Federer
Cilic vs Djokovic

Defending champ Sock finally won back-to-back matches for the first time this season and is clinging on to his top 100 place - he was a bit lucky that Nadal withdrew and Jaziri entered the draw as a Lucky Loser.

Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Del Potro, Zverev and Anderson have all secured their places in London for the ATP Finals. Cilic and Thiem most likely to join them although Nishikori can pass both if he wins the title in Paris. Mind, there are serious injury doubts over Rafa and Delpo and both will probably withdraw, so all 7 other names listed in this sentence will likely qualify along with Isner who is currently in 10th place.

15 year old Emma Raducanu has made the semi final of an ITF 25k event at The Wirral, beating 2 seeds along the way including someone ranked inside the top 200. She'll now be up to about 580 in the rankings. She has a winnable semi final and if she wins that she'll be just outside the top 500.

Last edited:
A lot has happened since this last post. Svitolina won the WTA finals in Singapore on Sunday, beating Stephens 3-6 6-2 6-2 to take her biggest title to date. The next batch of women (ranked 9-20, minus withdrawals) are currently competing in Zhuhai for the WTA Elite Trophy. Defending champion Goerges is through to the semi finals and will be joined by one of Wang/Keys, one of Muguruza/Sevastova and one of Sabalenka/Garcia/Barty, all of which will be decided tomorrow.

They've reached the QF stage of the Paris Masters:

Sock vs Thiem
A Zverev vs Khachanov
Nishikori vs Federer
Cilic vs Djokovic

Defending champ Sock finally won back-to-back matches for the first time this season and is clinging on to his top 100 place - he was a bit lucky that Nadal withdrew and Jaziri entered the draw as a Lucky Loser.

Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Del Potro, Zverev and Anderson have all secured their places in London for the ATP Finals. Cilic and Thiem most likely to join them although Nishikori can pass both if he wins the title in Paris. Mind, there are serious injury doubts over Rafa and Delpo and both will probably withdraw, so all 7 other names listed in this sentence will likely qualify along with Isner who is currently in 10th place.

15 year old Emma Raducanu has made the semi final of an ITF 25k event at The Wirral, beating 2 seeds along the way including someone ranked inside the top 200. She'll now be up to about 580 in the rankings. She has a winnable semi final and if she wins that she'll be just outside the top 500.
FFS I was just coming on this thread to ask you how I can find out which games Delpo is going to play in. I can only go to the tour on the Wednesady or Thursday night but Id only be interested in Delpo or Federer or Nadal

FFS I was just coming on this thread to ask you how I can find out which games Delpo is going to play in. I can only go to the tour on the Wednesady or Thursday night but Id only be interested in Delpo or Federer or Nadal

Yeah would be a shame to lose either of those to the likes of Isner but I'd be prepared.

Ah, I've just checked and Delpo is officially out now and 1st alt Nishikori is in. So it'll be Isner next if Nadal withdraws.

The draw is tomorrow night on the One Show so we'll see when they are due then.

Huge shame for Delpo, he has been largely injury free for a while now so this will be a blow, especially as his great run toward the end of 2017 just wasn't enough to get in last year.

Yeah would be a shame to lose either of those to the likes of Isner but I'd be prepared.

Ah, I've just checked and Delpo is officially out now and 1st alt Nishikori is in. So it'll be Isner next if Nadal withdraws.

The draw is tomorrow night on the One Show so we'll see when they are due then.

Huge shame for Delpo, he has been largely injury free for a while now so this will be a blow, especially as his great run toward the end of 2017 just wasn't enough to get in last year.
Thats really annoying as he is the one i want to see. Probably wont bother now but will look at the draw tomorrow

Really pleased to see Karen Khachanov win the Paris Masters earlier. Djokovic not at his best and apparently feeling under the weather, but that ends his 22 match winning run and it's good to see #NxtGen players winning big titles, especially beating established players along the way - 3 top 10 wins this week and his 3rd title of the season - the biggest by far. He has massively improved these past 18 months - will be interesting to see how far he can go next year.

Ashleigh Barty won the WTA Elite Trophy beating the reinstated Wang Qiang in the final and that's a wrap on the main WTA tour until January. There's 3 WTA 125k events in the coming weeks and a 100k event in Dubai in December, so still a chance for some players just outside the top 100 to sneak into the Aussie Open main draw.

Thats really annoying as he is the one i want to see. Probably wont bother now but will look at the draw tomorrow

I'm going next Tuesday so kind of in the same boat although I guess they'd probably try and keep the more marquee names for the evening so I'm prepared for Anderson vs Cilic.

Anyone got any interest in that next gen Milan thing?

Rafa officially out now and replaced by John Isner. So final line up:

Djokovic
Federer
Zverev
Cilic
Anderson
Thiem
Nishikori
Isner

Khachanov first alternative. Massive shame but at least it's now before the draw so that it doesn't mess the group's up and that he doesn't play a set, retire and someone come in like Busta last year.

You can't help injuries and they are more likely to happen at this stage of the season but the ATP Finals always seems to have a depleted field as doesn't seem as important to the players as the women's equivalent.

I'm going next Tuesday so kind of in the same boat although I guess they'd probably try and keep the more marquee names for the evening so I'm prepared for Anderson vs Cilic.

Anyone got any interest in that next gen Milan thing?

Not massively. Some of the rules / innovations make it a bit more interesting but wouldn't go out my way to watch. With no regular tour tennis on I will watch the odd match but can take it or leave it.

I take it Fabiano Caruana is a wild card at the next gen finals because he's nowhere near good enough to play. I don't know why wild cards are invited.

I take it Fabiano Caruana is a wild card at the next gen finals because he's nowhere near good enough to play. I don't know why wild cards are invited.

Yeah, only has something like 45 ranking points this year. He came through a wildcard qualifying competition featuring 8 Italians, but if they insist on a wildcard then it would probably be better for the tournament if they just gave it to the highest ranked Italian instead of someone 600 odd competing with some players on the verge of the top 10.

Yeah, only has something like 45 ranking points this year. He came through a wildcard qualifying competition featuring 8 Italians, but if they insist on a wildcard then it would probably be better for the tournament if they just gave it to the highest ranked Italian instead of someone 600 odd competing with some players on the verge of the top 10.
Tiafoe looks a very good player. Top 10 in the near future.

Looking foward to this should be interesting

A few thoughts on the 'innovations':

• Automatic hawk-eye - much prefer. Yes, it takes away the human element and the excitement of challenges, but realistically, I don't get how you can be mad at getting the right decision and it's instant as well, so not like VAR in football where they have to review. There's been too many wrong calls recently where the point had to be replayed when it needn't have been. Definite plus for me.
  • Shot clock - fine, speeds the game up, so does the less warm up time.
  • Towel rack - not a major issue. Fine, saves ball kids getting abuse, suppose there's the hygiene factor as well.
  • No lets on serve - fine, a match can be decided on a net cord so not much difference there.
  • No ad scoring - would prefer it left alone, but wouldn't be a disaster to me if they implemented this going forward. I do like the A-40-A-40 scoring, but this obviously speeds it up and can be exciting having match point or beak point simultaneously.
  • Coaching - I'm not bothered either way. Maybe prefer not, but could live with it, but would prefer it to be universal one way or the other across the board - like at all men, women, slam matches etc. or not at all.
  • 4 game sets - absolutely not, just doesn't feel right and just means if you get broken, the set is almost gone.

Looking foward to this should be interesting

Yeah, it's been quite good so far. The Italian wildcard won an amazing point in the tie break earlier

Last edited:
A few thoughts on the 'innovations':

• Automatic hawk-eye - much prefer. Yes, it takes away the human element and the excitement of challenges, but realistically, I don't get how you can be mad at getting the right decision and it's instant as well, so not like VAR in football where they have to review. There's been too many wrong calls recently where the point had to be replayed when it needn't have been. Definite plus for me.
  • Shot clock - fine, speeds the game up, so does the less warm up time.
  • Towel rack - not a major issue. Fine, saves ball kids getting abuse, suppose there's the hygiene factor as well.
  • No lets on serve - fine, a match can be decided on a net cord so not much difference there.
  • No ad scoring - would prefer it left alone, but wouldn't be a disaster to me if they implemented this going forward. I do like the A-40-A-40 scoring, but this obviously speeds it up and can be exciting having match point or beak point simultaneously.
  • Coaching - I'm not bothered either way. Maybe prefer not, but could live with it, but would prefer it to be universal one way or the other across the board - like at all men, women, slam matches etc. or not at all.
  • 4 game sets - absolutely not, just doesn't feel right and just means if you get broken, the set is almost gone.

Yeah, it's been quite good so far. The Italian wildcard won an amazing point in the tie break earlier

I like the deciding point at 40-40, it creates a lot of pressure and opportunity at the same time. I agree with first to 4 games, why have best of 5 sets and then have first to 4. May as well just stick to normal best of 3 sets.

I like the deciding point at 40-40, it creates a lot of pressure and opportunity at the same time. I agree with first to 4 games, why have best of 5 sets and then have first to 4. May as well just stick to normal best of 3 sets.

Yeah if they insist on shorter matches then that would definitely be the way I'd go. It would make a difference as games spanning 10+ deuces can take 20 mins alone. Would take some getting used to though - weird seeing someone on 0-40 and having 4 break points instead of the usual 3.

None of these rules will probably ever come in to the main tour fortunately. Every single one of them is dreadful and do nothing but take away from the game.

Back