SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Mixed fortune in Vancouver. Evans won his final in 3 sets, did well to recover from 3-5 0-30* in the decider but ended up winning it on the tie break, up to about 227 now.

Watson lost her final in 3 sets but still a good week for her as she has been in terrible form since January.

US Open qualifying draws are tonight after 9pm.

Mixed fortune in Vancouver. Evans won his final in 3 sets, did well to recover from 3-5 0-30* in the decider but ended up winning it on the tie break, up to about 227 now.

Watson lost her final in 3 sets but still a good week for her as she has been in terrible form since January.

US Open qualifying draws are tonight after 9pm.

Clarke and Broady drew each other in the first round FFS :lol:

Clarke and Broady drew each other in the first round FFS :lol:

Haha, 128 man field and the only 2 Brits had to draw each other. Mind, that's just about as good as it gets for Jay and Liam would have probably struggled against anyone in the draw on current form (and tbh, ability) so hopefully Jay will be a step closer to qualifying.

There's an all GB match in the women's as well - Naomi Broady vs Katie Boulter, but with 7 in the draw, that was always a bit more likely. Hope both Broady siblings go out at the first stage. A chance for one or two of the girls to join Konta in the main draw.

Anyone know why Saisai Zheng (World Ranking 63) is having to play qualifiers?

Cut off point was 6 weeks ago she was around the 110 mark in the rankings at that point, so just outside. Since then she reached the final of that awful Nanchang event and followed it up with a semi final showing in Washington a week later, but she literally didn't beat anyone in the top 130 during those 7 wins and 4 of them were 200+. The two times she did face someone in the top 100, she lost.

Cut off point was 6 weeks ago she was around the 110 mark in the rankings at that point, so just outside. Since then she reached the final of that awful Nanchang event and followed it up with a semi final showing in Washington a week later, but she literally didn't beat anyone in the top 130 during those 7 wins and 4 of them were 200+. The two times she did face someone in the top 100, she lost.
That's a hell of a jump in 6 weeks. I was thinking of betting on her today but I've got my doubts now.

That's a hell of a jump in 6 weeks. I was thinking of betting on her today but I've got my doubts now.
She probably is at the level she was at 6 weeks ago, so instead of being unlucky that the cut off point came when it did, I think she's more lucky for the draws she had, plus Wozniacki withdrawing in Washington so instead of facing her in the quarters so had Allie Kiick who was in the 200s.

I see she lost her first set but has just taken it into a decider now.

She probably is at the level she was at 6 weeks ago, so instead of being unlucky that the cut off point came when it did, I think she's more lucky for the draws she had, plus Wozniacki withdrawing in Washington so instead of facing her in the quarters so had Allie Kiick who was in the 200s.

I see she lost her first set but has just taken it into a decider now.
Who do you think will win the women's title?

Who do you think will win the women's title?
I'd make Halep and Stephens the 2 favourites. I had a 10 free bet on Svitolina about a month ago but regretting that now. Hope Sabalenka has a good run, I've been a big fan for a while and shes up to 25 in the rankings now after an impressive hard court swing. She is still competing in New Haven this week and reaching the Eastbourne final just before Wimbledon with five 3 set matches in a row did her no favours in the slam so hoping this doesn't cost her as well. Can't see Woz or Serena doing much.

It is the women's though and there'll no doubt be a randomer having an extended run.

Who do you think?

I do have a soft spot for Svitolina even though she let's me down time and time again. I think it's between Halep, Stephens or Kerber. It's an obvious selection but I can't see a left field winner or finalist this year.

I do have a soft spot for Svitolina even though she let's me down time and time again. I think it's between Halep, Stephens or Kerber. It's an obvious selection but I can't see a left field winner or finalist this year.

Yeah I like her as well and she's usually so good at the P5 level events and then falls short in the slams but she's had a few poor defeats recently, but then again, that may work in her favour and she may feel less pressure. Hoping Muguruza can get her act together as well, she's out of the top 10 now and about 14 in the 'race' rankings since January. Really thought she would go on and be the no. 1 after winning Wimbledon and Cincy last year but it's been anything but.

When is the draw for the US open?

Thursday after 7pm UK I think.

She's 0-4 0-30 down in the decider so looks on the verge of going out.

#2 seed Katie Boulter is already out, losing to Naomi Broady who has been in awful form this year, so that's a blow.

Lost it 6-0.

SaiSai

Last edited:
Watson and Swan both come through their 1st round matches, the latter in a right battle and they could be on course to meet in the FQR which would be good.

Liam Broady comfortably beat Jay Clarke earlier which is a bit of a shame IMO.

Easier half for 2nd year running at us open for nadal.
Del potro v Murray
Kyrgios v Federer
Potential 3rd round matches.

Djokovic v fed quarter

Dimitri v wawrinka 1st round, 2nd major running what r the chances of that happening :lol:

Back