SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

True. Just checked and 365 make him 11/4 fave, Fed 7/2, Nadal 9/2, Zverev and Murray both 8s.

Djokovic way to short at 11/4, Nadal 9/2 looks the best bet, think Federer will struggle to win another slam now at 37, Murray at 8/1 is a joke, same with Zverev, I would be more interested in Del Potro at double figure odds.

Nadal 9/2 looks the best bet, think Federer will struggle to win another slam now at 37, Murray at 8/1 is a joke, same with Zverev, I would be more interested in Del Potro at double figure odds.

Next on the list at 12s. Would love him to win another slam before he calls it a day - consistently getting to the latter stages now which is great and he can trouble anyone on his day.

Next on the list at 12s. Would love him to win another slam before he calls it a day - consistently getting to the latter stages now which is great and he can trouble anyone on his day.

Loves hardcourts aswell, madness how he can be longer odds than Murray and Zverev to win it. He is as good as anyone when fit.

Nadal at 9/2 well worth a punt for the US open.
Federer probably won't win another slam at 37.
Nadal. Djokovic. Del potro. Murray coming back. Zverev. Plus only 16 seeds in slams next year.

So, another Wimbledon over - been decent overall, shame the finals weren't more competitive, but 2 good winners and some memorable matches long the way, particularly Nadal's last 2 matches. Along with Serena's return (and Kerber), the women's will probably be remembered for the draw falling apart and a lot of randoms making the latter stages, but there were some very good matches on that side as well.

Was going to say it's a couple of dry weeks for the tours, but there's actually 6 ATP and 4 WTA tournaments in the next 2 weeks before the bigger US events start to take place on the road to the US Open which starts on Bank Holiday Monday 27th August.

ATP
W/C 16th July - Newport 250, Bastad 250, Umag 250
W/C 23rd July - Hamburg 500, Atlanta 250, Gstaad 250
W/C 30th July - Washington 500, Cabo San Lucas 250, Kitzbuhel 250
W/C 6th Aug - Canadian Open 1000
W/C 13th Aug - Cincinnati Masters 1000
W/C 20th Aug - Winston Salem 250

WTA
W/C 16th July - Bucharest 250, Gstaad 250
W/C 23rd July - Moscow 250, Nanching 250
W/C 30th July - San Jose 500 (formerly Stanford), Washington 250
W/C 6th Aug - Canadian Open (1000 equivalent)
W/C 13th Aug - Cincinnati Open (1000 equivalent)
W/C 20th Aug - Connecticut Open 500

I always look forward to the US Open Series starting as the events will start at 4pm or 7pm depending on which time zone they are in which is great for watching live tennis in the evening, but the football season will be underway once the bigger masters events get going.

So, another Wimbledon over - been decent overall, shame the finals weren't more competitive, but 2 good winners and some memorable matches long the way, particularly Nadal's last 2 matches. Along with Serena's return (and Kerber), the women's will probably be remembered for the draw falling apart and a lot of randoms making the latter stages, but there were some very good matches on that side as well.

Was going to say it's a couple of dry weeks for the tours, but there's actually 6 ATP and 4 WTA tournaments in the next 2 weeks before the bigger US events start to take place on the road to the US Open which starts on Bank Holiday Monday 27th August.

ATP

WTA

I always look forward to the US Open Series starting as the events will start at 4pm or 7pm depending on which time zone they are in which is great for watching live tennis in the evening, but the football season will be underway once the bigger masters events get going.
Thanks for posting calendar!!

ATP

WTA

Nice one, not too long until the next slam!

Nadal is more comfortable on grass than hard. Hard is Djokovic’s best surface, so there is an element of clutching at straws. Neither Nadal or Djokovic are as good as they used to be. Federer should have won number 9, but age might be catching up on him, as he should have dealt with Anderson

Nadal is more comfortable on grass than hard. Hard is Djokovic’s best surface, so there is an element of clutching at straws. Neither Nadal or Djokovic are as good as they used to be. Federer should have won number 9, but age might be catching up on him, as he should have dealt with Anderson

Strange comment to make, his record at the Australian and Us open on hardcourts is far better than his record at Wimbledon.

Djokovic best slam is Australia
Nadal is French
Federer is Wimbledon
Us open is a free for all - federer not won it in 9 years, Nadal won it twice, Novak twice

Strange comment to make, his record at the Australian and Us open on hardcourts is far better than his record at Wimbledon.
Until last year Nadal usually struggled in the US hard courts - different type of court to Australia despite both being hard.
His record in Australia is very good

Last edited:
Edmund is up to 16 in the rankings, post Wimbledon, which is good news for him. On the down side, Konta's second round exit has seen her slip from 24 to 50.

I know she ended the year in the top 10 the past 2 years and has been as high as #4 before, but I do get the feeling her current ranking is a more realistic indicator. Think more have now figured out her serve and she never really has any Plan B and always gets flustered - the constant changing of coaches isn't ideal either, although if she was to replace Joyce it may actually help.

The better news is her results post Wimbledon last year were awful - 2-6 (5 first round exits), so there's very little to defend until the Aussie Open series, although she did have a bye for a few of those events, something she won't have the luxury of this year given her current ranking, but a good run at just one of the bigger tournament (Cincy, Canada, US, Wuhan, Beijing etc.) then she will be back in and around the top 30.

Boulter is confirmed as GB #2 now at #117, Watson and Broady slipping at 133 and 139, but career highs for Dart (168) and Swan (176) and G Taylor is also close by at 177. Those 6 and Dunne should all be involved in US Open qualifying.

I know she ended the year in the top 10 the past 2 years and has been as high as #4 before, but I do get the feeling her current ranking is a more realistic indicator. Think more have now figured out her serve and she never really has any Plan B and always gets flustered - the constant changing of coaches isn't ideal either, although if she was to replace Joyce it may actually help.

The better news is her results post Wimbledon last year were awful - 2-6 (5 first round exits), so there's very little to defend until the Aussie Open series, although she did have a bye for a few of those events, something she won't have the luxury of this year given her current ranking, but a good run at just one of the bigger tournament (Cincy, Canada, US, Wuhan, Beijing etc.) then she will be back in and around the top 30.

Boulter is confirmed as GB #2 now at #117, Watson and Broady slipping at 133 and 139, but career highs for Dart (168) and Swan (176) and G Taylor is also close by at 177. Those 6 and Dunne should all be involved in US Open qualifying.

I think you're right. Watson, and the lesser spotted Laura Robson have been disappointments, given their promise (in Robson's case at least in part through injury). Hopefully, the younger group can at least mostly establish themselves in the top 100., with one or two going higher.

On the men's side, Murray is now ranked in the 800s somewhere and is British number 23.

I think you're right. Watson, and the lesser spotted Laura Robson have been disappointments, given their promise (in Robson's case at least in part through injury). Hopefully, the younger group can at least mostly establish themselves in the top 100., with one or two going higher.

On the men's side, Murray is now ranked in the 800s somewhere and is British number 23.

Yeah, it's such a shame for Robson, looking back and what a prospect she was. Kerber's Wimbledon triumph also reemphasises that Robson beat her at SW19 about 7 years ago and then reached the last 16 a couple of years later, but it's not looking great at all - well down the rankings and now requires hip surgery which will keep her out for ages and she'll not have protected ranking and she's not significant enough now to benefit from wildcards outside of England. There's a new 15 year old on the scene - Emma Raducanu who many are saying is the best prospect by some distance since Robson, so hopefully she'll eventually transition without all the wrist and other injuries.

Agree regarding the new batch, it would be great if they could establish themselves in the top 100 just so they would be in more actual WTA tournaments (and on BT Sport) rather than just the ITF scene and would also free up wildcards for newer talent coming through when we reach the grass season next year. Plus even if 50-75 was their absolute ceiling, the prize money (and endorsement opportunities) on the main tour is so lucrative that they would forge good careers and be pretty comfortable once they had finished.

Not looking good for Watson she's been so poor for ages now (bar that grass resurgence last year) but this grass season was more in line with her other results and slogging it out on the ITF scene like Broady beckons unfortunately.

Crazy seeing Murray way down there after so long in the top 10 (and above). He's earmarked Washington as his next return and seeing him back will be one of the main things I'm looking forward to this US hard court swing - just hope he can get back to somewhere near his prior level.

Cecchinato has just won Umag 250, beating Pella in the final. Decent day for Italy as Fognini beat Gasquet earlier to take the Swedish Open title while Steve Johnson won the Newport grass event.

Cornet took the WTA Gstaad title and Sevastova won in Bucharest.

Next week there's a men's 500 event in Hamburg (on Sky) and 250 events in Gstaad and Atlanta and on the women's side there's a strong line up in Moscow and an incredibly week line up in China - one of the weakest fields you will see at international level. Cam Norrie is the only Brit in main draw action (Atlanta) but there are a few others in Challenger events and women's ITFs.

Cecchinato has just won Umag 250, beating Pella in the final. Decent day for Italy as Fognini beat Gasquet earlier to take the Swedish Open title while Steve Johnson won the Newport grass event.

Cornet took the WTA Gstaad title and Sevastova won in Bucharest.

Next week there's a men's 500 event in Hamburg (on Sky) and 250 events in Gstaad and Atlanta and on the women's side there's a strong line up in Moscow and an incredibly week line up in China - one of the weakest fields you will see at international level. Cam Norrie is the only Brit in main draw action (Atlanta) but there are a few others in Challenger events and women's ITFs.
I see what you mean by the line up in China, very poor. 38 ranked is the top seed.

Young German boy, Molleker has just seen off Ferrer, a changing of the guard. I think he has a brother who also plays so the future is bright for German tennis.

Was waiting on a straight sets win for Ruse on the Moscow clay this morning for a nice Acca, but her serve fell apart in the 2nd set.

I see what you mean by the line up in China, very poor. 38 ranked is the top seed.

Young German boy, Molleker has just seen off Ferrer, a changing of the guard. I think he has a brother who also plays so the future is bright for German tennis.

Was waiting on a straight sets win for Ruse on the Moscow clay this morning for a nice Acca, but her serve fell apart in the 2nd set.

It really is terrible - someone was seeded ranked 128th and the last direct entrant was #275, there's been MUCH stronger ITF events in Slovakia, France and England in recent months, but they know exactly what they are doing and it is placed where it is for a reason.

Yeah, heard a few good things about that Molleker recently so will be keeping an eye out for him and see how he progresses. I like Ruse so was hoping she would qualify for Moscow, that match was supposed to be last night but got carried over due to weather and the opponent ended up having to play another qualifier later and promptly went out, losing the second set 6-0.

Jay Clarke is just underway in a US challenger and Dan Evans - Alex Ward match should be starting soon - I might stream the latter.

It really is terrible - someone was seeded ranked 128th and the last direct entrant was #275, there's been MUCH stronger ITF events in Slovakia, France and England in recent months, but they know exactly what they are doing and it is placed where it is for a reason.

Yeah, heard a few good things about that Molleker recently so will be keeping an eye out for him and see how he progresses. I like Ruse so was hoping she would qualify for Moscow, that match was supposed to be last night but got carried over due to weather and the opponent ended up having to play another qualifier later and promptly went out, losing the second set 6-0.

Jay Clarke is just underway in a US challenger and Dan Evans - Alex Ward match should be starting soon - I might stream the latter.
Ive noticed a lot of players will play futures events in obscure locations like Nigeria and Sri Lanka to gain easy ranking points against poor opposition. They are probably ranked in a false position but high enough to get into challenger qualifiers and end up getting destroyed.

Back