SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

right after Alcaraz hands Tsitsipas another beat down on clay.
looking forward to both that match and the inevitable Djokovic semi final match, that will decide the winner of the tournament unless Rune can make the final without playing too much time on court.

Reckon Zverev's got a chance? Got a bad feeling about it. For a second week in a Slam he's got a relatively favourable next couple of matches before he'd likely be up against Ruud or Rune.

Hope Dimitrov wallops him tomorrow but can't see it.

right after Alcaraz hands Tsitsipas another beat down on clay.
looking forward to both that match and the inevitable Djokovic semi final match, that will decide the winner of the tournament unless Rune can make the final without playing too much time on court.
I can see a Djokovic Zverev final , don’t understand how Alcaraz is the favourite. As good as he is, he has done absolutely nothing yet to suggest he is ready to beat Djokovic in a grand slam .

Reckon Zverev's got a chance? Got a bad feeling about it. For a second week in a Slam he's got a relatively favourable next couple of matches before he'd likely be up against Ruud or Rune.

Hope Dimitrov wallops him tomorrow but can't see it.
Too soon in his comeback, his form is getting better but I actually reckon dimitrov will win (mind you, never trust Grigor).
I can see a Djokovic Zverev final , don’t understand how Alcaraz is the favourite. As good as he is, he has done absolutely nothing yet to suggest he is ready to beat Djokovic in a grand slam .
Beat Djokovic and Nadal back to back on clay last year, he's only got better since.

Last edited:
Beat Djokovic and Nadal back to back on clay last year, he's only got better since.
That was impressive no doubt but it wasn't in a slam which is a huge difference, then he lost to Zverev in the Quarter finals of the French. He may well win it but he has done nothing to justify being favourite ahead of Djokovic in a grand slam.

I can’t believe she got disqualified for this! The ball girl is an absolute melt and Bouzkova is a disgrace for demanding they be thrown out.
I've just watched this, she doesn't whack the ball, she just plays it half heartily, can't believe the opposition players complained, fair enough if it was a temper tantrum but she was just getting rid of excess balls. Complete disgrace that she and her partner were disqualified 🤷‍♂️

I've just watched this, she doesn't whack the ball, she just plays it half heartily, can't believe the opposition players complained, fair enough if it was a temper tantrum but she was just getting rid of excess balls. Complete disgrace that she and her partner were disqualified 🤷‍♂️
That’s insane! The ball is lobbed softly at the ball girl and she’s balling like she’s been hit by a missile. Surely it’s a risk of being a ball person that you get hit occasionally. There was zero intent

It's madness. The ball girl was crying because of the attention and controversy rather than the pain so I apologise to her but Bouzkova and Tormo should be ashamed of themselves.

It's madness. The ball girl was crying because of the attention and controversy rather than the pain so I apologise to her but Bouzkova and Tormo should be ashamed of themselves.
Reading there that the umpire called a warning first but the opponents pointed out the ball girl was “distressed” and then the decision to disqualify was made. Can’t imagine they’ll be very popular going forward!

Reading there that the umpire called a warning first but the opponents pointed out the ball girl was “distressed” and then the decision to disqualify was made. Can’t imagine they’ll be very popular going forward!
It's not a good look. They've been getting a lot of hassle already on social media.

It's not a good look. They've been getting a lot of hassle already on social media.
So what happens now if when the players at service hit the extra balls they don’t want behind them as they always do and it taps a ball person on the legs, are they disqualified 🤷🏻‍♂️

So what happens now if when the players at service hit the extra balls they don’t want behind them as they always do and it taps a ball person on the legs, are they disqualified 🤷🏻‍♂️
They've set a precedent for it now. It will probably depend on the level of the player, I doubt this would have happened to Serena although Djokovic did get disqualified.

They've set a precedent for it now. It will probably depend on the level of the player, I doubt this would have happened to Serena although Djokovic did get disqualified.
Yeah, but he smashed the ball at her throat plus he is a bit of a dick
Rune survives just, gotta play better to have any chance against Djokovic or Alcaraz

Last edited:

The umpire quoted the rules as 'if you hit the girl and she got injured, you are responsible for that action'. I'd be interested in what the 'injury' was first off.

Dropping a set to Khachanov's not a huge surprise here I wouldn't say and you'd still obviously expect him to win but Alcaraz is gonna be a decent favourite on Thursday if/when they play.

Can't write Djokovic off ever but if he's gonna beat Alcaraz then he's gonna have to do something pretty special.

I think Tsitsipas has a good chance against Alcaraz tonight, I know he has flattered to deceive more often that not but he has zero pressure on him tonight and everyone expects him to get beaten. Obviously Alcaraz the favourite but looking at the odds you would think Tsitsipas literally has no chance. Could easily see it going 5 sets.

Hoping Karen can extend this 4th set abit to try and tire Djokovic out a bit more before the semi.
I think Tsitsipas has a good chance against Alcaraz tonight, I know he has flattered to deceive more often that not but he has zero pressure on him tonight and everyone expects him to get beaten. Obviously Alcaraz the favourite but looking at the odds you would think Tsitsipas literally has no chance. Could easily see it going 5 sets.
It's his game style. Just seen him get beat comfortably by Alcaraz across the clay season these past few weeks, and Tsitispas played well against him.

Honestly, a semi final of Alcaraz v Djokovic (provided Alcaraz gets through in 3 sets today) would be 60/40 in favour of Alcaraz. But to have any chance you need to win the 1st set against Djokovic.
Dropping a set to Khachanov's not a huge surprise here I wouldn't say and you'd still obviously expect him to win but Alcaraz is gonna be a decent favourite on Thursday if/when they play.

Can't write Djokovic off ever but if he's gonna beat Alcaraz then he's gonna have to do something pretty special.
I'm hoping the pressure of playing 1 of the big 3 for a first time in a slam doesnt effect him and he plays at a high level, if Djokovic matches it then we could be talking french open classic match like
2021 Nadal Semi
2020 Thiem Semi
2013 Nadal Semi
Weirdly I think the only classic final matches for Djokovic are the Wawrinka and Tsitispas ones as Murray and Nadal matches tended to be quite comfortable 3-4 set wins.

Last edited:
The £1 bet on Alcaraz in 3 is looking good, just a horrible matchup for Tsitsipas and now his level has dropped from the 1st set and Alcaraz is still playing unbelievably good tennis.
Incredible by Alcaraz this , making Tsitsipas look like someone from the Challenger tour .
:lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Back