SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Draws are out for the French. Alcaraz and Djokovic (and Tsitsipas, Auger-Aliassime and Rublev) together in a pretty stacked top half. Rune, Sinner and Medvedev together in the bottom. I genuinely can't see anyone's draw on the men's side that looks pretty simple, there's banana skins all over for all of the favourites. There's so so many good match ups on paper from R3 onwards when you skim through it. I think there's a group of about a dozen who have a realistic shot of winning the tournament, obviously Alcaraz is favourite but winning Slams isn't as easy as Rafa, Fed, Djokovic and Serena have made it look in the last fifteen year or so.

Swiatek might have to beat Krejcikova, Gauff, Rybakina and Sabalenka to win on the women's side, be a hell of a run that if it happened. The three biggest threats to her and the French Open finalist last year all in that potential route. It's WTA so it won't be anything like that of course.

Would like to see Sinner win on the men's side, Rune or Rublev would be good to see as well. Swiatek v Sabalenka final on the women's would be great.

Djokovic to me at 9/4 looks an incredible price really , ignore everything he has done since the Australian open he only cares about the slams . He would have won the French countless times had it not been for Nadal and I fully expect him to win this with ease. Alcaraz isn’t at the level of Djokovic when it comes to slams.

Draws are out for the French. Alcaraz and Djokovic (and Tsitsipas, Auger-Aliassime and Rublev) together in a pretty stacked top half. Rune, Sinner and Medvedev together in the bottom. I genuinely can't see anyone's draw on the men's side that looks pretty simple, there's banana skins all over for all of the favourites. There's so so many good match ups on paper from R3 onwards when you skim through it. I think there's a group of about a dozen who have a realistic shot of winning the tournament, obviously Alcaraz is favourite but winning Slams isn't as easy as Rafa, Fed, Djokovic and Serena have made it look in the last fifteen year or so.

Swiatek might have to beat Krejcikova, Gauff, Rybakina and Sabalenka to win on the women's side, be a hell of a run that if it happened. The three biggest threats to her and the French Open finalist last year all in that potential route. It's WTA so it won't be anything like that of course.

Would like to see Sinner win on the men's side, Rune or Rublev would be good to see as well. Swiatek v Sabalenka final on the women's would be great.
If you don't think swiatek will win there's decent value in every major in the men's odds are not worth it at all alcaraz is far too short

I wonder what the odds are for Holger to win it. Might put a sneaky tenner on it.

Djokovic has a fair draw, potentially a couple tough matches if he doesnt play well like fokina and khachanov, but if slam Djokovic turns up then only Alcaraz can really stop him.

Would love a sinner v rune semi final.

Alcaraz having to go through norrie/musetti, tsitsipas then djokovic just to make the final....talk about tough

Norrie was 1/9 to beat Benoit Paire by the start this morning, likelihood is Paire goes walkabouts at some point and Norrie wins but them odds are so short.

A locked in Paire in front of his home crowd is capable of blasting 90%+ of players away. Norrie's had a bit of a stinker the last couple of months as well.

Thiem out in the first round again, that injury after his US open win really has ruined his career, at one point he was the second best clay courter in the word after Nadal.

Monfils lost 10 out of 11 games to lost the fourth set 1-6 and go 0-4 down at the start of the fifth, it's now back to 4-4 in the decider.

He's something else mind. Definitely gonna lose now after all this :lol:
That's absolutely incredible that :lol: Rune v Monfils night session on Thursday please.

Last edited:
Monfils lost 10 out of 11 games to lost the fourth set 1-6 and go 0-4 down at the start of the fifth, it's now back to 4-4 in the decider.

That's absolutely incredible that :lol: Rune v Monfils night session on Thursday please.
He's my favourite player so exciting to watch he could barely walk at the end

Was looking forward to that match tonight. But Monfils has pulled out with a wrist injury or something so walkover for Holger.

Was looking forward to that match tonight. But Monfils has pulled out with a wrist injury or something so walkover for Holger.

Yeah was a real shame. I was looking forward to seeing him embracing the villain role with the ever so slightly partisan French crowds!

Looks good for him though now, a nice rest ahead of some tougher matches coming up and two of the biggest obstacles in his half already knocked out. Got my fingers crossed for an Alcaraz v Rune final now.

When is the inevitable clash between Alcaraz and Djokovic ?
right after Alcaraz hands Tsitsipas another beat down on clay.
looking forward to both that match and the inevitable Djokovic semi final match, that will decide the winner of the tournament unless Rune can make the final without playing too much time on court.

Back