SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Currently struggling in Atlanta mate, lost his first set 6-2.

Wozniacki through to the quarter finals in Sweden although hasn't been great and both of her matches have gone to a decider. Still a strong field with Garcia and Sevastova also in the last 8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Swedish_Open_–_Women's_Singles

The women's US Open Series starts on Monday.

US Wide open (no pun intended) for Murray if fit, if not Fed again.

Welcome to the forum marra. Big tennis fan?

Last edited:
you got any bets on anything atm marra

Na nowt at the moment mate, saving myself for the return of the football and the US Open. Not watching the darts live, got it on record and will fastforward through it in about 15 mins time but prefer betting when it's live so i can cash out if needed or lay elsewhere.

Na nowt at the moment mate, saving myself for the return of the football and the US Open. Not watching the darts live, got it on record and will fastforward through it in about 15 mins time but prefer betting when it's live so i can cash out if needed or lay elsewhere.
I got a few on starting to put them on for next week iv got lewis to win the darts ostapenko for us open and new England patriots for super bowl for 13k:eek:

Very strong field in Stanford next week, with Kvitova, Azarenka and Sharapova taking wildcards. 28 person tournament but some very familiar names:

http://www.bankofthewestclassic.com/news/two-time_wimbledon_champ_joins_player_field/

The addition of Kvitova gives the Bank of the West Classic a Grand Slam feel with five players having won major singles titles including five-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova, two-time Grand Slam champion Victoria Azarenka, reigning Wimbledon champion Garbiñe Muguruza, and past French Open champion Francesca Schiavone. The field also boast several young American stars including Madison Keys, Bay Area native CiCi Bellis, CoCo Vandeweghe and currently Wimbledon Junior Champion Claire Lui.

Ana Konjuh is also competing.

Cheers, long time lurker drawn in by the tennis and new music threads, is there decent TV coverage/timings for Stanford - BT sky Eurosport usualy spot on for tennis.

Cheers, long time lurker drawn in by the tennis and new music threads, is there decent TV coverage/timings for Stanford - BT sky Eurosport usualy spot on for tennis.

Yeah, US Open is on Eurosport. BT have extensive coverage of all women's US build up tournaments. Coverage starts from 6pm next week as it is West coast but 4pm for the likes of Cinci and Canadian Opens.

Also see you can't quote yet ;)

Just read in today's paper that Caroline's win yesterday was her 40th WTA win of 2017. First player to reach that figure this year. :)

Just read in today's paper that Caroline's win yesterday was her 40th WTA win of 2017. First player to reach that figure this year. :)

She won again today in the quarters, this time in straight sets and is likely to face Mertens in the semi tomorrow who is currently up a set.

Garcia vs Siniakova in the other semi. Final on Sunday.

She won again today in the quarters, this time in straight sets and is likely to face Mertens in the semi tomorrow who is currently up a set.

Garcia vs Siniakova in the other semi. Final on Sunday.

If she wins again tomorrow it will be her fourth WTA final this year. Maybe she will even win one this time. :)

Am a bit baffled by this one in Sweden though, I know there are other tournaments being played or coming up but this one doesn't seem to be too well equipped with decently (for lack of a better word) ranked players ? Where is everyone ?

Actually it just dawned on me, it could be because of the clay surface.

If she wins again tomorrow it will be her fourth WTA final this year. Maybe she will even win one this time. :)

Am a bit baffled by this one in Sweden though, I know there are other tournaments being played or coming up but this one doesn't seem to be too well equipped with decently (for lack of a better word) ranked players ? Where is everyone ?

Actually it just dawned on me, it could be because of the clay surface.

There's a couple of reasons mate, one is the one you mentioned as with the long hard court season coming up, a lot are reluctant to go back to clay after the albeit small grass season and would rather just wait until Stanford or Canada for their next tournament after Wimbledon.

The other is these recent tournaments post Wimbledon (Bucharest, Gstaad, and this Swedish one) are all ranked as 'International' tournaments on par with the likes of Nottingham in England, you have your 5 rank tournaments on the WTA tour:

Grand Slams
Premier Mandatory
Premier 5
Premier
International

Prem 5 and Mandatory ate ranked pretty much the same in terms of ranking points but international tournaments are significantly lower so a lot of the 'better' players usually avoid them. I think Bastad is the only Scandinavian tournament on the WTA tour which may have influenced Caroline to play there.

Stanford is Premier, Cincinnati and Rogers Cup are both Premier 5 events so most of the big names will be playing in those.

There's a couple of reasons mate, one is the one you mentioned as with the long hard court season coming up, a lot are reluctant to go back to clay after the albeit small grass season and would rather just wait until Stanford or Canada for their next tournament after Wimbledon.

The other is these recent tournaments post Wimbledon (Bucharest, Gstaad, and this Swedish one) are all ranked as 'International' tournaments on par with the likes of Nottingham in England, you have your 5 rank tournaments on the WTA tour:

Grand Slams
Premier Mandatory
Premier 5
Premier
International

Prem 5 and Mandatory ate ranked pretty much the same in terms of ranking points but international tournaments are significantly lower so a lot of the 'better' players usually avoid them. I think Bastad is the only Scandinavian tournament on the WTA tour which may have influenced Caroline to play there.

Stanford is Premier, Cincinnati and Rogers Cup are both Premier 5 events so most of the big names will be playing in those.

Ah, I didn't know most of that. Cheers, makes more sense now.

Also, I have to have music playing in the background while watching matches from the Swedish tournament. The sound the feet of the players make on this clay is driving me nuts.

Last edited:
Ah, I didn't know most of that. Cheers, makes more sense now.

Also, I have to have music playing in the background while watching matches from the Swedish tournament. The sound the feet of the players make on this clay is driving me nuts.

The field wasn't actually too bad for an 'international' tournament but there were a lot of unfamiliar names and if it wasn't just after Wimbo then I wouldn't have been very interested.

Mertens did win so will play Wozniacki tomorrow so that's 55 vs 6 in the rankings. Garcia (20) plays Siniakova (56) in the other so you'd probably expect a battle of the Caroline's in the final. Suarez Navarro (30) and Sevastova (18 I think) got knocked out earlier and Kontaveit who is now in the top 30 as well withdrew just before it started after reaching the Gstaad final last week. A few other top 50 players were also in.

That was really bad :lol: but Edmund's into his second ATP semi final. Probably be underdog in the odds, be close though. I'd imagine he'll get beat like.

I see Sloane Stephens has moved on from Jack Sock and is now seeing our former American superstar striker :eek::lol:

Draw for Stanford (which begins on Monday) has been made:

(1)Muguruza v BYE
Doi v Day
Vikhlyantseva v Q
(5)Konjuh v Q

(3)Keys v BYE
Q v Osaka
Sharapova v Brady
(7)Tsurenko v Arruabarrena

(6)Vandeweghe v Tomljanovic
Gibbs v Liu (recent Wimbo jr champ)
Riske v Linette
(4)Pavlyuchenkova v BYE

(8)Bellis v Cornet
Q v Ahn
Schiavone v Bondarenko
(2)Kvitova v BYE

Qualifying takes place today and tomorrow. Azarenka unfortunately pulled out with a virus. Semi finals consisting of:

Muguruza vs Sharapova
Vandeweghe vs Kvitova

would be canny. Good chance for a few decent young American's in Liu, Bellis and Kayla Day to make an impact here.

Coverage begins on BT Sport 1 at 6pm on Monday.

Another good win for her today, 3 sets vs Elise Mertens. She'll play Siniakova in the final at 2pm your time after the Czech caused a minor upset against Caroline Garcia.

Last edited:
Thought it would have been her fourth WTA final this year if she won today, turns out it is her fifth. No wonder no other player on the WTA have won more games than our Caroline this year. Looking forward to the US Open even more now. :)

Back