SMB Photography Competition Round 4 - Obsolete. Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm I've just got back from camping up in the mountains to this little debate, so here's my views.

Posting a pic then changing it
Not something I'd do and in my opinion, should be against the rules. If we take Growth for example, as with any other month we'll have people posting similar. So what's to stop me looking through the entries and taking out my pic "Dhown but not out" and replacing it with a tree or plants, thus copying someones idea?

Description
I think this is a no brainer, it's all good and well saying that you "shouldn't need to" but in some, or rather a lot of cases, a description is required to justify it's suitability of the entry. It's for that reason I think description should at the discretion of the poster.

For my Earth entry I have animals feeding off the land, no description required.

For my Growth entry I have an old boat with the Abu Dhabi skyline in the background. I felt that this needed explaining because I was venturing away from the more obvious possibilities. Does everyone on the board know that a Dhow boat is a traditional boat? Does everyone know that Abu Dhabi has "grown" so much because of Oil? Does everyone even know my photo was of Abu Dhabi?

There's my two pennyworth. That took some writing after the trip we've just been on believe me.... :lol:

Totally Agree.

Totally Agree.
Actually yours is quite a good example mate. Although you never posted you're description with the entry I enjoyed reading it in the discussion thread. It could have raised a few eye brows as to whether it fit the theme but after reading the history and what it represents. I think it fits the theme perfect... a very good take on it.

I on the other hand.....struggling like fuck :lol:

The problem is that any descriptions are usually put in the discussion thread and may be missed by some viewers/voters.

I don't see anything wrong with putting an explanation up with the pic on the entry threads.

Even if it was just to state what equipment it was taken with.

Actually yours is quite a good example mate. Although you never posted you're description with the entry I enjoyed reading it in the discussion thread. It could have raised a few eye brows as to whether it fit the theme but after reading the history and what it represents. I think it fits the theme perfect... a very good take on it.

I on the other hand.....struggling like fuck :lol:

I was. I live in Rome and nothing is obsolete, its old, its historic but with a value, sustainable tourism.

You'll get a flash of inspiration from somewhere.

my last month the Mo Bros was for testicular cancer awareness and we grew them in aid of that charity. I believe giving to charities like this helps you grow as a person.

I don’t think many people would have got the growth theme in the pic, so I described this months in the discussion thread.

Nice one Peachy.

I haven't seen a half crown in a while.
Thanks. :-D

I nearly became obsolete trying to get the coins! Was up the ladder into the hatch of the attic trying to decide where my my tin of coins was. The ladder slipped and it's a long way down to the floor ie over the bannisters, down the stairs to the ground floor. I froze, but then got told off because apparantly the ladder would have caught on the frame and not slipped any further. I cried! :lol:

I wanted a farthing, but never found the tin of coins, so had to make do with the few coins I could find lying around. I also have a million mark note (worth probably less than a penny) but never found either.

On the debate front.

Even though I put in an early entry last month and said I say change it later -after I posted the thing correctly I felt that I would have been slighty cheating if I posted another [totally different] entry.

However, I feel slightly differently to the others who think it should be one and done in that if you post a pic early in the month but arent quite happy the light etc and go back and retake the pic you should be able to re post.

In two minds about the description as I'm flip flopping like a knackered sandy :lol:

The rule about anonymous voting was changed, as was the rule about having to take the picture specifically for the competition. Both for the better, probably.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that you submission should be final.
That was never a rule it was a misunderstanding - later rectified. Blue - glad you agree. :)

I am really struggling to come up with anything to be honest

I know exactly what I'm shooting but can't get there for a few days. TBH when I chose the topic I thought we'd have had a few more entries, especially as the theme received some good initial comments.

MAybe we could make an exception for you and allow and old shot of that mullet you used to wear. (Facebook pics again J ;))

I know exactly what I'm shooting but can't get there for a few days. TBH when I chose the topic I thought we'd have had a few more entries, especially as the theme received some good initial comments.

MAybe we could make an exception for you and allow and old shot of that mullet you used to wear. (Facebook pics again J ;))

We're only half way through the month. Plenty time for more entries yet mate.

It is a good topic I think.

I haven't taken any photos for the competition yet this month, and haven't a clue what I am going to take a photo of - but I will get something done before the end of the month.

Hopefully shooting mine tonight. Tried to shoot it last night, but had the wrong type of lighter fluid...

That's not obselete though mate, it will come back in to fashion one day :cool:

Didn't get out today, weather has been shite. I am sure you will get loads of late entries

It's this rediculous one and done rule ;)

I've got my pic but have been out 4 different times and the light has been crap on each one.

Crackig theme mate and I could thnk of plenty ofoptions.

Reet then.
I think no explanations should be allowed and first entry only.
But I reckon everyone should be allowed a replacement "Substitute" pic once a year if theyve shot another they thinks better.
Or each poster should be allowed to post two pics per "title" once a year if their struggling to decide which one to reject. aka their "Joker" pic.

Keep up the good work. peachbums winning for me this time round so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back