SMB Photography Competition - November - Best Shot of the Month - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SMB Photography Competition - November - Best Shot of the Month - Discussion thre

Spav's is the best image i've seen on here this year personally.

Re: SMB Photography Competition - November - Best Shot of the Month - Discussion thre

hopefully i should be out tomorrow

hope the camera doesn't freeze mind

I was waiting for the snow promised this weekend, but it never materialised. Went out and took some pictures, but sadly they are only really snapshots. They actually work better as the theme I decided upon (London Suburb) when viewed as a group. I don't think there are any standout shots really.

For anyone interested in the group of pictures they are in my albums (click Peachbum and view albums),

London

Hey Peachie, I really like those as a set. I think you're right in that there isn't one stand out shot, but as a portrait of a side of London which isn't the one that makes it into the glossy magazines, I think they're great. It's also fascinating to see how your mind is thinking, e.g. looking at shabby buildings, or at shop fronts: keep at it and one day you will nail a fantastic shot from one of those.

Now, by extreme coincidence I was out and about round our parts today and took a couple which are bit like a couple of yours:

picture.php

picture.php

(taken in what we call "the Turkish shop" round the corner)

Last edited by a moderator:

just posted my entry for the month, c & c welcome, cheers.

my flickr

Last edited:

Howdy all, just posted mine too. C&C welcome.

Mine was taken with a 'point and shoot'- the Canon S95. It's quite refreshing taking around a camera that fits in your pocket as opposed to an SLR!

just posted my entry for the month, c & c welcome, cheers.

my flickr

The chems. Spent many a winter night cod fishing off the top of the waste heap, which used to be just North of liddle stack. That's the sea stack centre left of your pic. Climbed it a few times in my 'yoof' anarl. There was another stack about 150-200 yards South East of liddle called Seaham fleet rock, but it was blown up to make way for a new sewage pipe. Nice pic.

Hey Peachie, I really like those as a set. I think you're right in that there isn't one stand out shot, but as a portrait of a side of London which isn't the one that makes it into the glossy magazines, I think they're great. It's also fascinating to see how your mind is thinking, e.g. looking at shabby buildings, or at shop fronts: keep at it and one day you will nail a fantastic shot from one of those.

Now, by extreme coincidence I was out and about round our parts today and took a couple which are bit like a couple of yours:
(taken in what we call "the Turkish shop" round the corner)

I wanted to take more pictures of people but I'm not quite brave enough to take full frontal/facial shots of people in the high street. So had to limit myself to people across the street. It would also seem a bit weird taking pictures of people behind them (though I did a few:oops::)). I was blessed with gorgeous light (made up for no snow) it was the kind of light you only get late November + December .
picture.php
The brick work on the houses looked lovely.

Just put mine up, I absolutely froze down the Embankment tonight taking loads of shots of the Eye. County Hall kept changing colour - Peachbum, how do you do that "4 in 1" thing you did because I fancy doing a Warhol-esque montage of County Hall in all its different colours:-D

Just put mine up, I absolutely froze down the Embankment tonight taking loads of shots of the Eye. County Hall kept changing colour - Peachbum, how do you do that "4 in 1" thing you did because I fancy doing a Warhol-esque montage of County Hall in all its different colours:-D

Cheers Janiep. :evil: Was ganna put this up cos it's the only time i had me camera out this month. What time the morn does this close? will grab a shot of the snar after work.

Logon or register to see this image

There's been a couple of PMs about Peachy's entry breaking the rules as it's more than one photo.

Having seen how other competitions deal with this, I'm allowing it and will modify the rules to allow polyptych shots.

Last edited:

Cheers Janiep. :evil: Was ganna put this up cos it's the only time i had me camera out this month. What time the morn does this close? will grab a shot of the snar after work.
Failed miserably so put one up from last week.

There's been a couple of PMs about Peachy's entry breaking the rules as it's more than one photo.

Having seen how other competitions deal with this, I'm allowing it and will modify the rules to allow polyptych shots.
I wondered how long it would be before someone moaned. ! :lol: Really sweet of you to say you'll amend the rules, but I don't want any favours. Just withdraw my entry. I can't be bothered with the arguements EasyTiger! I'd like to know who pm'd you? Didn't even have the front to post on the thread then (unless I've missed it). I did think some would complain, but as I'm never going to win a monthly entry, I just thought a collage would be a better showcase for my efforts this month!

I never try to break rules I just try to be inventive / different .

It was the collage option in Picnik http://www.picnik.com/app#/home/welcome

Reet, that's my entry in. Not really happy (as always!) but I wanted to do something that was a bit of a departure from what I usually do. I'm quite happy with the composition, and I also quite like the fact that the couple's outline and the contour of the ground kind of make a heart shape. Well, in my mind they do anyway!

Reet, that's my entry in. Not really happy (as always!) but I wanted to do something that was a bit of a departure from what I usually do. I'm quite happy with the composition, and I also quite like the fact that the couple's outline and the contour of the ground kind of make a heart shape. Well, in my mind they do anyway!
I'll do a review later, but suffice to say I like your picture.:)

thought there would have been a few more entry's this month with it being an open theme.

thought there would have been a few more entry's this month with it being an open theme.
Me too.

As an aside: If some entrants can alter their photos with photoshop/picnik etc and be accepted as fine, what is wrong with entering four pictures (unadulterated) as a collage (from Picnik)?

I knew my pictures individually weren't strong (IMO), but as a theme, gained strength, hence making one picture out of four.
There have been tricks employed in certain entries, so what is wrong with four in one? Not being controversial, just asking really.

Me too.

As an aside: If some entrants can alter their photos with photoshop/picnik etc and be accepted as fine, what is wrong with entering four pictures (unadulterated) as a collage (from Picnik)?

I knew my pictures individually weren't strong (IMO), but as a theme, gained strength, hence making one picture out of four.
There have been tricks employed in certain entries, so what is wrong with four in one? Not being controversial, just asking really.

There was a similar debate with clyde's entry to the 'growth' theme iirc. IMO submitting an image made of 4 photos side-by-side is as valid as, say, smoker's astro shots that are made up of hundreds.

The fewer restrictions the better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back