SMB Photography Competition - November - Best Shot of the Month - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SMB Photography Competition - November - Best Shot of the Month - Discussion thre

Ah piss - thought there was 31 days in November. :oops::lol: Too late to slip a late entry (oo err) in?

Re: SMB Photography Competition - November - Best Shot of the Month - Discussion thre

Too late, but hoy it up anyway so we can have a look.

Too late, but hoy it up anyway so we can have a look.
Plenty taken but I hadn't chosen one unfortunately...

Ah piss - thought there was 31 days in November. :oops::lol: Too late to slip a late entry (oo err) in?

Haway mods - if it was taken in November then I reckon we should allow it.

Haway mods - if it was taken in November then I reckon we should allow it.

People have already voted though.

C & C is welcome on my photo. Forgot to add that when i posted. :oops:

C & C is welcome on my photo. Forgot to add that when i posted. :oops:
:lol:. As I'm here then.

Kubicki85
- I liked the picture and black and white etc, but the blacks in the middle of the picture and the whites in the top left are too black and too white. I wouldn't know how to sort this if a digital picture, but I'm sure one the techy bods would tell you how to rectify. The water is so smooth, lovely for the reflection.

:lol:. As I'm here then.

Kubicki85
- I liked the picture and black and white etc, but the blacks in the middle of the picture and the whites in the top left are too black and too white. I wouldn't know how to sort this if a digital picture, but I'm sure one the techy bods would tell you how to rectify. The water is so smooth, lovely for the reflection.

Thanks for the feedback :)

The photo didn't quite turn out how i wanted it, but i liked the reflection. I took a few and they all turned out the same, it was too bright and i should have set up the camera for that, so i decided to darken the areas that were too hazy and overblown. I had a similar photo of the Tyne Bridge using a reflection in a puddle, so i was trying to get one the same of the Wearmouth Bridge.

Last edited:

what a polite and nice bunch you lot are

glad I have found this sensible part of the forum - lol

some real good talent too well done folks keep up the great work

on the rules points being discussed above, I like the few restrictions idea, but and its just my opinion photoshop IS cheating! (sorry:oops:) and it should be ONE photo, keeps the photography 'pure' i would think, means you would have to use your photographic 'eye'.

collages are then into the realms of 'art'

but hey thats just my opinion i don't wanna rock the boat

Last edited:

on the rules points being discussed above, I like the few restrictions idea, but and its just my opinion photoshop IS cheating! (sorry:oops:) and it should be ONE photo, keeps the photography 'pure' i would think, means you would have to use your photographic 'eye'.

Hello

I agree with some of your points. I don't think photoshopping is cheating per se, it is a different skill. I think the art of photography is being able to see a photograph and then taking a picure of it using your knowledge of how to use your camera, and producing an end result that doesn't need tampering with.

I would like to see next years competiton (if we have one) have photoshopping disallowed as it isn't part of "photography" imo.

I agree about the collage actually, but I knew I'd never win so I just entered it in fun. But apparantly one or two complained so I withdrew it. I should have just entered the sunlit bridge picture but nevermind now.

by no photoshopping what do you actually mean?

none at all?

It's impossible for me not to Photoshop, as I shoot in RAW format that won't display until I put it through Photoshop.

Anyway, if we were to outlaw Photoshop we'd also have to outlaw dark room techniques for those who prefer to shoot on film.

Additionally, Photoshop can't turn a bad photograph into a good one, we still have to rely on our photographic "eye".

It's impossible for me not to Photoshop, as I shoot in RAW format that won't display until I put it through Photoshop.

Anyway, if we were to outlaw Photoshop we'd also have to outlaw dark room techniques for those who prefer to shoot on film.

Additionally, Photoshop can't turn a bad photograph into a good one, we still have to rely on our photographic "eye".
Fair points I guess (even though double dutch to me!)

Photoshop can improve pictures though can't, for exaple if someone has taken a picture of someone with a tree sticking out of their head, the tree can be removed (can't it).

I thought dark room techniques only applied to B&W photography, as you can lots of different effects depending on development time, but colour is fairly straightforward? You can't alter "mistakes" by developing though can you??

Photoshopping can alter pictures no-end.

If you don't photoshop and want a certain colour sky you have to go and get/find/wait for that sky - a photographic skill. If you want a certain colour sky you can just photoshop the bland sky to whatever colour you want. This is surely a skill too but it is not the skill of a photographer - imo:):)

i use lightroom anyway, to be honest i wouldnt even know where to start with stuff like putting in fakes skys and removing lamp posts etc, but i mostly shoot in raw all the time too so i also need to use lightroom to make the images viewable at least.

As far as I'm concerned there's no problem at all using Photoshop to do the stuff that you would do in the darkroom anyway. I'd probably be less inclined to vote for something that's had a ton of work done to it anyway.

tbh if you don't like 'Photoshopped' images then you have the option not to vote for them.

I reckon at least half of my shots have summat done to them - usually a crop, or maybe messing with the levels.

I personally prefer post processing rather than using filters or gels, as I'm OK at using graphic tools in such a way that the results are subtle. I certainly don't think a rule banning such images makes sense.

oops look like I started a debate - lol

To be clear, I always worry when it comes to photoshop that effects are 'not of this world' and are created, giving a false 'feel' to the photo in question, and even making photos feel false

and of course the good point has been made that you don't have to vote for it which is a valid point I suppose, I personally just believe in a more traditional approach and using your 'artisic' eye.

I think photoshop should be for more basic editing if it needs to be (red eye, minor blemishes, minor colour correction etc), but again its just a peronal opinion.

This is a photography competition after all, and not how good at photoshop someone is - lol

ooh I just remembered I once saw a you tube vid where this photoshop dude how was amazing at using all the tools, too this sexy phot of a rather large young girl, and sppeded up the process (which was about and hour or two), and turned this picture into a thinner version of the girl, you could still see the essence of the original, but it was like 2 differant bodies.

this isnt the one, but you kinad get the idea

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0Z95gOsuc[/ame]

the u toob thing is bit sexist I know, fat to thin, whats that all about?

hey spav I think cropping or level altering is acceptable, as I say its when you (not u personally - lol) start doing the 'false' stuff if u know what I mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back