SMB Photography Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: 2011 SMB Photography Challenge

I think the structure is a great idea.

The monthly challenge and discussion should work out more like a cross between a competition and a workshop that should be of benefit to all the entrants.

# Photographs may include a border and post production / Photoshop work

This is what puts me off playing in this comp completely, even though I voted for it for the yearly competition, Clyde's - November shot** is an example of how very, very different the original shot is from the photo shopped/post production shot.

I can see how making a shot crisp/clear, even remove basic red eye and cropping in post production is acceptable but to almost re-invent the shot in post production I find it loses it's original appeal, I mean, it's now become fake, a very pretty fake to my eye in that instance (and a legal shot in the comp) but fake nonetheless, I can't play in photo shop at all, so straight away I'm at a disadvantage and feel like I'd be pissing in the wind trying to compete, how can you compete with this >

** two versions, original & post production.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Whilst I agree that this is overkill (and the original is MUCH better IMHO), how can a no Photoshop rule be enforced, and where would we draw the line?

Levels, cropping, B&W conversion?

This is what puts me off playing in this comp completely, even though I voted for it for the yearly competition, Clyde's - November shot** is an example of how very, very different the original shot is from the photo shopped/post production shot.

I can see how making a shot crisp/clear, even remove basic red eye and cropping in post production is acceptable but to almost re-invent the shot in post production I find it loses it's original appeal, I mean, it's now become fake, a very pretty fake to my eye in that instance (and a legal shot in the comp) but fake nonetheless, I can't play in photo shop at all, so straight away I'm at a disadvantage and feel like I'd be pissing in the wind trying to compete, how can you compete with this >

I agree with you regarding photoshop. But as it is allowed you can only go with voting/not voting for photoshopped work. I agree photoshopping is a skill but it isn't the skill of the photographer. I actually said Clyde's photoshopped picture looks fake, but 34 (?) votes says I'm in a minority regarding liking it. I much prefer the unadulterated shot. (Why did you vote for it!? :). )

There are other competitors that agree with us too.

There is a rule regarding photoshopping etc in the link EasyTiger posted, I'll try to find it. Maybe we can have a vote on whether it could be applied?

To my mind (not that I'm completely sure, as I'm not a photoshopper), but surely contre jour could just be a normal photo with a rim of light behind the subject hinting that it was taken "against the light"? Rather negating the point of us practising skills of photography.

Basic Eding Rules from DPChallenge link posted by EasyTiger - maybe we could have a vote? (I don't actually understand everything there anyway - "spot editing"?)

Basic Editing permits overall adjustments to help polish your captured image. These rules are intended to allow you to fine tune your entry and correct basic imperfections in exposure, contrast, color, etc. No selections or spot editing tools are allowed, with the sole exception of cloning out sensor dust or hot pixels. Restrictions on post-processing apply to all edits performed after the image is captured, whether performed in image-editing software, during RAW conversion, or using image-editing software built into the camera.

Still, Tired Eyes, Clyde's picture has picked up 3-10 times as many votes as any other picture so it must be an image that appeals to many.

Last edited:

Peachy, I'd love to impose those rules in the competition but I'd have no idea how to police it, unless the poster has to post the original too.

(Why did you vote for it!? . )

I was really torn, when I first saw the shot I loved it, thought it was beautiful then found out later that she'd cheated on me, sry, I mean had been shopped :) and was a bit saddened, if I didn't vote on what is a legal competition shot I'd of thought of it as me being pedantic and really it is a good "image" and again I'll say, legal and within the rules of the competition.

As regards to policing can't you tell it's been shopped by the EXIF details ?

I was really torn, when I first saw the shot I loved it, thought it was beautiful then found out later that she'd cheated on me, sry, I mean had been shopped :) and was a bit saddened, if I didn't vote on what is a legal competition shot I'd of thought of it as me being pedantic and really it is a good "image" and again I'll say, legal and within the rules of the competition.

As regards to policing can't you tell it's been shopped by the EXIF details ?

If you can, I don't know how.

Thought my ears were burning.

First of all, i dont use photoshop, so no part of that image or any of my images have been "photoshopped", i do not take things out of pictures or add things in that were not really there, i wouldn't even know where to start with photoshop, i do have a copy of it but i only know very basics, hence the reason i dont use it.
i edit all my work in lightroom, which usually consists of cropping, straightening the horizon, boosting the clarity and sharpness, saturating or de-saturating colours, noise reduction, and other basic editing tools.
in my eyes there is nothing wrong with that, some say my pic looks fake...well maybe the camera failed to capture it how i saw it that morning so when i got home i gave the pic a boost, no one else was there with me so none of you know what it looked like on the coast that morning.
i also put a lot of work in to taking my pictures, i get up at stupid o clock in the morning and stay out till stupid o clock at night and i do that quite often, i often get soaking wet or get to the point where i cant feel my toes but still i go out and plod on so i can do what ever i want with my pics when i get home, and as i said sometimes it can be hard to capture something how it has been seen so sometimes i try to remember and make it look like how i saw it.
sometime straight outta camera pics look rubbish but can take on a whole different feel when edited, maybe some of you should try it sometime.

For photoshopping, I just mean altered after taking the picture. (like hoovering should more accurately be called vacuuming).

Clyde just enjoy winning the competition! :)
First and second place iirc, so many are enjoying your efforts. I just prefer your more subtle pictures. But art is totally subjective. I agree a fairly dull picture can take on a whole new look when edited and from an art perspective that can be really good. My point is that in a photography competition it is our photography that should be judged rather than "editing skills".

To be fair, he could have done something similar with filters, but we can't enforce a no filter rule.

Well I thought you'd captured that fantastic sky the way it was but you didn't, you manufactured it.

imo post production is for professional use and the "dead dog rule" situations as mentioned earlier by AB22 not for a friendly forum competition (if thats what it is and not a group of advanced users having a monthly comp and having to invite the amateur to make the numbers up) it seems to me, that it isn't simply about capturing fantastic shots within the boundaries of the monthly theme but also about who can jazz it up the most too.

Don't you all have great/expensive DSLR cameras with tons of features you can use at the time, rather than on the PC later at home with software, if the horizon is crooked then so be it, you'll know better next time to check it, if the light isn't how you'd like, then tough shit that's nature I'm afraid, it just makes the really good shots all the more special to know that they were done au natural as it were.

The point n click amateur would have a leveller playing field too.

Just my lowly opinion but I'm entitled to it :oops:

Don't you all have great/expensive DSLR cameras with tons of features you can use at the time, rather than on the PC later at home with software,

No. There are quite a few point and shoot cameras used for competition entries, and some mobile phone cameras.*

And yes, of course you're entitled to your opinion, but my opinion is that levelling the horizon, for example should be allowed. If it were a film shot being scanned for an entry that would be easy to do.

Enforcing a "straight from the camera" rule, it's pretty much impossible.

*Edit: Including at least three of the monthly winners

Last edited:

Well I thought you'd captured that fantastic sky the way it was but you didn't, you manufactured it.

imo post production is for professional use and the "dead dog rule" situations as mentioned earlier by AB22 not for a friendly forum competition (if thats what it is and not a group of advanced users having a monthly comp and having to invite the amateur to make the numbers up) it seems to me, that it isn't simply about capturing fantastic shots within the boundaries of the monthly theme but also about who can jazz it up the most too.

Don't you all have great/expensive DSLR cameras with tons of features you can use at the time, rather than on the PC later at home with software, if the horizon is crooked then so be it, you'll know better next time to check it, if the light isn't how you'd like, then tough shit that's nature I'm afraid, it just makes the really good shots all the more special to know that they were done au natural as it were.

The point n click amateur would have a leveller playing field too.

Just my lowly opinion but I'm entitled to it :oops:

post production is for anyone that wants to use it, not just pro's or amateurs.
the comp is open for anyone that wants to participate, you dont neccaserily need a good camera to take a decent photo.
if im on the edge of a cliff why should i mess about checking the horizons straight and worrying if it isnt when i can get home and fix it...the beauty of digital, even film photogs will fix that when they have scanned in images.
like i said on my other post, who's to say i didnt make the image look like what it atcually looked like? sometimes the camera can often take a pic that looks nothing like what your seeing.

New rules, same arguments. :lol:

I have no issue whatsoever with post processing, though if I shot looks PPd then I probably won't vote for it.

And the more expensive your camera, the less theoretically you'd need to 'photoshop'. Everyone has free access to Picassa, Picnic etc. Post processing is a leveler, if anything.

our local show in the photographic class allows photoshopped entries on condition that the original photo is also supplied.... would that be any help ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back