SMB driving experts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to improve your reading skills.

No. You should be looking to merge when it makes sense and is safe.
If a load of knackers are sitting in the inside lane and you have 600 yards to go in an open lane, at slow speeds, then you are stupid not to use it.
As long as you don't attempt to force your way in, you will be let in. By someone else who understands the highway code.

I'm late to the party on this but I don't think she was merging "in turn". It looks like she waited for people in front to merge in turn and then took it to the wire to take the piss out of everyone else. The entire episode was entirely of her own making. The stupid cow should have just backed off and gone through a car or two behind.

I'm a really easy going bloke but if I'd been in that fella's position I'd have found it really difficult not to have done a full-on Moysey and get hold of her by the throat, what with the abuse she was giving him.

One could say the van driver thinks he owns the road.

There was plenty room to let her in. Merge in turn. It's not a hard concept however it goes against or 'Britishness' of queuing.

Saying that I wouldn't gan to the end of the lane. People would think I was pushing in.;)

I let people in. I would have handled it just like the van. He let one in just before the end of the road works.
I would be watching my mirrors and looking for pricks who think they don't have to wait like the rest of us, and if they were going to try and take the piss out of me by squeezing in when it is too late and they should be waiting, then they would have a similar encounter.

It's like rush hour on roundabouts, let one out and go, let one out and go. It works. People like her would just block the roundabout.

No. You should be looking to merge when it makes sense and is safe.
If a load of knackers are sitting in the inside lane and you have 600 yards to go in an open lane, at slow speeds, then you are stupid not to use it.
As long as you don't attempt to force your way in, you will be let in. By someone else who understands the highway code.
You should be looking to merge after you see the 'merge' sign.

Not true. You should be looking to merge as soon as possible.

No. I've always been advised to use both to limit disruption from longer queues. I'm unfortunate enough to spend time driving in Milton Keynes with all of its roundabouts and any sort of long queues that block a roundabout can clog the whole town up. Using both lanes as long as possible is a necessity.

"Merge-in-turn is seen by road operators as a benefit for queuing traffic at road works in that they use both (or more) lanes to queue and not just one, then at the 'pinch-point' they smoothly merge-in-turn.
So this also addresses another common gripe I read on PH in that when they say they notice drivers going down an empty lane when queuing traffic is all in lane 1. They are actually doing nothing wrong. "

From advice given by Highways Agency.

I let people in. I would have handled it just like the van. He let one in just before the end of the road works.
I would be watching my mirrors and looking for pricks who think they don't have to wait like the rest of us, and if they were going to try and take the piss out of me by squeezing in when it is too late and they should be waiting, then they would have a similar encounter.

It's like rush hour on roundabouts, let one out and go, let one out and go. It works. People like her would just block the roundabout.

In theory both lanes should be 'full' till the end then merge like a zip. ooo

Never gonna happen though.

Why didn't she just pull back when it was apparent he wasn't going to let her in ? Nah she wasn't having that & actually took out a boat load of bollards to prove her point :lol:
Physco
Plenty of the fuckers about
Had one mad women driver swerve in front of me at the last minute into the left lane of a dual carriageway as we approached a roundabout , had to break quickly & blasted my horn to which she give me the vs
, charming - why she hadn't considered staying in the outside lane , continue around the roundabout & take her exit I'll never know
Mental :lol:

In theory both lanes should be 'full' till the end then merge like a zip. ooo

Never gonna happen though.

Never will happen when you have a National Express coach straddling the lanes for half a mile, no. :lol:

Why didn't she just pull back when it was apparent he wasn't going to let her in ? Nah she wasn't having that & actually took out a boat load of bollards to prove her point :lol:
Physco
Plenty of the fuckers about
Had one mad women driver swerve in front of me at the last minute into the left lane of a dual carriageway as we approached a roundabout , had to break quickly & blasted my horn to which she give me the vs
, charming - why she hadn't considered staying in the outside lane , continue around the roundabout & take her exit I'll never know
Mental :lol:

He made her drive into them, mate. Made her. It's all in the evidence. :lol:

When I'm in her situation. I match my speed to that of the other lane and indicate in plenty of time. Most times, cars in the other lane will anticipate what's happening even before I indicate and have eased off on the gas.

She was clearly taking the piss and I wonder, had roles been reversed, what she would have done had she been in the left hand lane.

No. I've always been advised to use both to limit disruption from longer queues. I'm unfortunate enough to spend time driving in Milton Keynes with all of its roundabouts and any sort of long queues that block a roundabout can clog the whole town up. Using both lanes as long as possible is a necessity.

"Merge-in-turn is seen by road operators as a benefit for queuing traffic at road works in that they use both (or more) lanes to queue and not just one, then at the 'pinch-point' they smoothly merge-in-turn.
So this also addresses another common gripe I read on PH in that when they say they notice drivers going down an empty lane when queuing traffic is all in lane 1. They are actually doing nothing wrong. "

From advice given by Highways Agency.
Not on merging it isn't.

Well they aren't, but if people don't let them in at the end, then they can't complain.

Last edited:
Not on merging it isn't.

Well they aren't, but if people don't let them in at the end, then they can't complain.

People should use the closing lane, then if they do go right to the wire, sit and wait to be let in. Otherwise, pootle down the closing lane, whilst making progress and then signal in plenty of time and/or find a gap. Or sit in the open lane at the earliest opportunity, if you want to cause yourself unnecessary delay.
No one is put out and the traffic flows as intended.

Some people make this sound hard. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back