SMB Book dungeon

I can't remember the name of the book but it was a family saga type story about Catholic families living in the slums of Liverpool and working in the shipyards and factories. It started off ok but then just got more and more far fetched and ended up with a priest involved in kiddy fiddling and they all plotted against the priest and murdered him. I was expecting the usual rags to riches kind of fluff but it ended up being really sinister and disturbing. Picked it up as a lighthearted holiday sunbed book and wished I'd not bothered.

I can't remember the name of the book but it was a family saga type story about Catholic families living in the slums of Liverpool and working in the shipyards and factories. It started off ok but then just got more and more far fetched and ended up with a priest involved in kiddy fiddling and they all plotted against the priest and murdered him. I was expecting the usual rags to riches kind of fluff but it ended up being really sinister and disturbing. Picked it up as a lighthearted holiday sunbed book and wished I'd not bothered.

Was it this one?
Logon or register to see this image

I read 2 chapters of The Da Vinci code.

On the Road is a book you read as a teenager. It also was of its time.

Neil Young' s autobiography was stunningly awful. Picked it up in a hotel in Austria. I can't listen to his music anymore he was that loathsome.

I read 2 chapters of The Da Vinci code.

On the Road is a book you read as a teenager. It also was of its time.

Neil Young' s autobiography was stunningly awful. Picked it up in a hotel in Austria. I can't listen to his music anymore he was that loathsome.
I couldn’t put the Davinci code down

The Dark Tower series started off brilliant, but disappears up it’s own arse towards the end. I’m struggling to finish the last one, which it seems Mr King also did.

I hope the OP isn't judging those books by their covers. If you're reading an awful book, why would you continue ? I can understand struggling through a poor or average book on the chance it would improve, but you'd soon get shot of the shit ones.
I also wasn't impressed with on the road.

I've got a lot better at giving up on books now and I've started some absolute shockers over the past few years.
One that always sticks in my memory was one about Oasis by someone who used to work for them. Think it might be this one.

It was incredibly dull, almost at the level of a six year old sending post cards to their mother whilst on a school trip. Then for some inexplicable reason, he went 'creative' on a chapter about drugs. It was around the same time as Maribou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh and he attempted to copy his style and had the words crawling up the side of the page. It was painfully bad.

This springs immediately to mind:

Late 90s hipster bollocks written in some sort of fake patois, from memory. I think that's the updated cover.

I attempted to read a William Burroughs book once but found I'd got the second of a trilogy out of the library (the only Burroughs they had. Beyond that, I tried reading Thomas Pynchon's "Mason & Dixon", got half a page in, looked at the size of the book and though "Nah!".

Oh, and this beauty:

Back