'Smart' motorways

box2box

Striker
its just doing a 4 lane motorway on the cheap surely.

M42 has it, 2 junctions 'smart' then a couple more junctions 'not smart', must cause more accidents / congestion than it prevents

CCTV coverage across every part of the hard shoulder plus, I think, loops in the road to detect stationery traffic. Any issues and the lane is closed. A lot safer than regular motorways.

It's all about getting the best value out of what's already there rather than spunking tens of millions on widening schemes.

Makes sense to me.

CCTV coverage across every part of the hard shoulder plus, I think, loops in the road to detect stationery traffic. Any issues and the lane is closed. A lot safer than regular motorways.

It's all about getting the best value out of what's already there rather than spunking tens of millions on widening schemes.

Makes sense to me.
Disagree, the M1 has been, and still is a f***ing disgrace. Massive inconvenience and a waste of money.

its just doing a 4 lane motorway on the cheap surely.

M42 has it, 2 junctions 'smart' then a couple more junctions 'not smart', must cause more accidents / congestion than it prevents
Must you say?

Got any facts to support that?

Disagree, the M1 has been, and still is a f***ing disgrace. Massive inconvenience and a waste of money.

They'll have spent less money on all of the smart motorways than a single widening scheme: civil engineering work costs a fortune. Smart Motorways are a massive success around Manchester and Birmingham and likely elsewhere. Each to there own though.

We've got that huge chunk of the M1 they've done to smart motorway, and the next bit down they're doing at the moment and it's made fuck all difference apart from we have ads on the local radio station telling us that it's now a smart motorway. Same stupid as fuck drivers, same jams in the same places - they've just nicked the hard shoulder and taken f***ing years causing chaos doing it.

Must you say?

Got any facts to support that?

No facts I'm afraid. My observation of the m42 is that when the 'smart' motorway starts the few drivers that use it under take the other drivers in lanes 1-3

The m42 probably is a particular poor form of smart motorway as they seem to have it for a couple of junctions then revert to normal for a couple etc

They slow you down so you don't have to be so far behind the car in front (shorter stopping distance), so you can have more cars per mile (plus the addition of the hard shoulder) so they ease congestion.

They'll have spent less money on all of the smart motorways than a single widening scheme: civil engineering work costs a fortune. Smart Motorways are a massive success around Manchester and Birmingham and likely elsewhere. Each to there own though.

Cheap yes. Massive success, no. People rarely use the hard shoulder when there's congestion, defeating the object of the smart motorway. They just released a study on it.

M25 has no hard shoulder for the vast majoirty and has been a great success.

Back