Smart Motorways M1?

Heading down to Brum early hours of Saturday. Whats the crack with these new stretches of smart motorway? Ive heard that cruising at over 70, can have consequences? Or is this just bollocks?

Heading down to Brum early hours of Saturday. Whats the crack with these new stretches of smart motorway? Ive heard that cruising at over 70, can have consequences? Or is this just bollocks?
Nope true from a couple of plod i`ve spoken to. Unlike a regular speed camera which is triggered at the limit plus 10% or so these things are on the money 71 and its hello mr license endorser

Nope true from a couple of plod i`ve spoken to. Unlike a regular speed camera which is triggered at the limit plus 10% or so these things are on the money 71 and its hello mr license endorser

Been travelling to Northampton for a month, cruise on 72, no tickets.

What I will say though, is when speed restrictions are displayed, they are shit hot. Seen loads of camera flashes.

Last edited:

It's bullshit.

SNIP <News 11th Jan 2019)

Highways England has moved to rubbish growing speculation that new smart motorway speed cameras are being switched on this week.
Several social media posts report that overhead speed cameras on smart stretches of the M1 and M25 have been activated in a fresh bid to 'catch out' speeding motorists.

Some claim that anyone who breaks the 70mph speed limit will have their details sent to a central hub, with tickets then automatically sent out.

But Highways England has asserted it has “no idea where these rumours came from.”

Revealed: The truth about ‘new’ smart motorway speed cameras | RAC Drive

Last edited:
It's bullshit.

Highways England has moved to rubbish growing speculation that new smart motorway speed cameras are being switched on this week.
Several social media posts report that overhead speed cameras on smart stretches of the M1 and M25 have been activated in a fresh bid to 'catch out' speeding motorists.

Some claim that anyone who breaks the 70mph speed limit will have their details sent to a central hub, with tickets then automatically sent out.

But Highways England has asserted it has “no idea where these rumours came from.”

Dunno matey just what i was told. No reason to doubt them tbh

It's bullshit.

I don't actually see anything conclusive in that 'report' that says the speed cameras aren't being used as 'rumoured'. Having 'no idea where the rumours come from' is NOT saying that they aren't largely true.

'Inaccurate' could just mean that one camera is switched off. The anonymous 'Spokesperson' acknowledges that "some cameras may revert to national speed limit cameras". All it really says is that they can't switch them all on and off with one button.

NB the comment underneath:

I can speak from bitter experience that the speed cameras on the M42 revert to national speed limit when they are not displaying a reduced speed as part of the 'smart motorway" scheme. I received a speeding fine of £400 last year in the post, plus 5 penalty points for doing 92mph on an empty stretch of M42. The cameras are attached to the side of the post supporting the gantry by the hard shoulder...not mounted above each lane.
The paperwork said the maximum fine has been raised to £2,500 on motorways...! You have been warned.

I don't actually see anything conclusive in that 'report' that says the speed cameras aren't being used as 'rumoured'. Having 'no idea where the rumours come from' is NOT saying that they aren't largely true.

'Inaccurate' could just mean that one camera is switched off. The anonymous 'Spokesperson' acknowledges that "some cameras may revert to national speed limit cameras". All it really says is that they can't switch them all on and off with one button.

NB the comment underneath:
I drive between J32 - J26 (M1) daily, they're flashing all the time.

Loads of people I know have had tickets.

If you want to run the risk it's up to you, but you're asking for trouble doing anything over 75 through there.

Last edited:
Why do 70 mph anyway? It is far more economical to do 60 mph.

What stretch of the M1 is this on anyway? If we get to Wembley for the EFL Trophy Final I will be heading down the M1. So I need to know where thees speed cameras are.

Last edited:

Back