Smaller Smartphones?

I'm in the same boat at the minute. Looking at a Samsung A40 but even that looks a bit too big. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

No idea why anyone wants one of these massive phones. Surely an inconvenience to have to use two hands to use them? Some look like they'd struggle to fit in your jeans pocket.
i have a samsung junior or something like that. had it for years and suits me fine. nice and small and does what i want it to do.
each to their own but i can't understand spending hundreds on a telephone. i know you can do all sorts with them now but most of it is just a marketing con needing to have the latest model to show other people.
like i said, each to their own.

I prefer a smaller phone and couldn't give a toss if it's the latest technology. I recently got an iphone 6s which is perfect for me. The lass in the shop said the 7 has a slightly better camera if that is your priority.

I much prefer a smaller phone but they are getting harder and harder to come by. My latest is a Sony Xperia XZ2 compact but even that is bigger than ideal
Her last two were Sony compact phones, but that new one is well over 400 notes
I prefer a smaller phone and couldn't give a toss if it's the latest technology. I recently got an iphone 6s which is perfect for me. The lass in the shop said the 7 has a slightly better camera if that is your priority.
Don't want apple stuff thanks.

I'm in the same boat at the minute. Looking at a Samsung A40 but even that looks a bit too big. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

No idea why anyone wants one of these massive phones. Surely an inconvenience to have to use two hands to use them? Some look like they'd struggle to fit in your jeans pocket.
Get with the times, Cargo pants, man

Do people not want it to watch videos or play games?

Can anyone recommend a small phone for about £250?

The missus (no) doesn't want a 5"+ one (fnarrr fnarr) - she's had a couple of Sony Compact phones over the last few years which she's liked, but they seem to be well over £400 now which is a bit daft these days.
Edit: Her current phone is
Dimensions129 x 65 x 9.5 mm (5.08 x 2.56 x 0.37 in)
Because I guess bezels are getting smaller all the time, so a 4.6" screen might now be more equivalent to a 5" screen?
Can anyone recommend a small phone for about £250?

The missus (no) doesn't want a 5"+ one (fnarrr fnarr) - she's had a couple of Sony Compact phones over the last few years which she's liked, but they seem to be well over £400 now which is a bit daft these days.
Edit: Her current phone is
Dimensions129 x 65 x 9.5 mm (5.08 x 2.56 x 0.37 in)
Because I guess bezels are getting smaller all the time, so a 4.6" screen might now be more equivalent to a 5" screen?
Its annoying as Samsung used to do "mini" equivalents to their "S" range flagship phones but stopped doing this after the Galaxy S5.

These suited me down to the ground but due to support being withdrawn, upgrading became inevitable.

I tried the Sony Xperia range myself for a while and really liked them, however had problems with cracks developing in the front and rear glass. When one cracked for a third time, I ended up with a Samsung S7+. Its bigger than I want but at least it's reliable.

I'd like to see Samsung revisit the mini range as they were good little phones and not too bulky.

Likewise, I'd certainly look at a reasonably priced alternative as I don't like bulky items in my pocket.

Last edited:
Its annoying as Samsung used to do "mini" equivalents to their "S" range flagship phones but stopped doing this after the Galaxy S5.
These suited me down to the ground but due to support being withdrawn, upgrading became inevitable.
I tried the Sony Xperia range myself for a while and really liked them, however had problems with cracks developing in the front and rear glass. When one cracked for a third time, I ended up with a Samsung S7+. Its bigger than I want but at least it's reliable.
I'd like to see Samsung revisit the mini range as they were good little phones and not too bulky.
Likewise, I'd certainly look at a reasonably priced alternative as I don't like bulky items in my pocket.

Yeah, her first Sony Xperia Compact rear glass cracked. Bought the official case for it, so it was almost entirely covered except right next to the rear camera.
The one she has now would be fine, but its playing up a bit.

Yeah, her first Sony Xperia Compact rear glass cracked. Bought the official case for it, so it was almost entirely covered except right next to the rear camera.
The one she has now would be fine, but its playing up a bit.

Three cracks on one phone, two rear glass, one front glass was enough for me. Only once did I significantly knock it and even that was normal use (the first time) and the crack appeared a few days after (a crack can initiate at the time then grow and develop after the fact with glass).

The Samsung S7+ has only had one instance and that was it being dropped from a great height and the very limited crack stayed in a corner. It still worked despite the drop until I could afford to repair it. The Samsung was entirely my fault.

Thinking back, the "small" phone I had was an S3 mini. Now there wa a phone that could take some abuse. But it was never updated past Android 4 and eventually apps only worked on later versions of Android. You need to be on Android 5 and later now as I noted when posting up about a Samsung Galaxy K (the one with the built in 10x zoom lens) I also have.

The one I've just got is 6 1/2". I didn't realise when I ordered it but thought it would be ok. Had it in my pocket the other day, sat down and it nearly took me knackers off.

Back