Slow Drivers

I come past there from work every Friday around 4.30. Its horrendous.

I'm on it several times a week :neutral:

It's annoying going southbound when the traffic is stacked back from the Angel. I'm usually in the filter lane to come off at the Team Valley Sainsburys roundabout, but people wanting to go straight on use it to undertake the queue of traffic, then sit waiting to be let back in at the last minute and holding up the traffic who want to leave the A1.

I'm a good, safe driver. Why would I be doing that ? I'm obviously on about for example, a quiet Sunday morning rather than 4.30pm rush hour.

On most main sections of the A1 and A19 during peak periods you'd struggle to get past 60 anyway due to the sheer volume of traffic.
People in that scenario need to chill out and stop driving like twats. Usually tailgating nobbers trying to get home or work all of 2 minutes quicker.

I'm on it several times a week :neutral:

It's annoying going southbound when the traffic is stacked back from the Angel. I'm usually in the filter lane to come off at the Team Valley Sainsburys roundabout, but people wanting to go straight on use it to undertake the queue of traffic, then sit waiting to be let back in at the last minute and holding up the traffic who want to leave the A1.
That's probably the biggest cause of the hold ups. It might be better if the lanes were physically separated in this part to stop people changing lanes.

Driving standards are unquestionably worsening, even the A690 I’m seeing all kinds of near misses nowadays, hardly seeing the camera vans around so you’ve got some folk adhering to the 50mph speed limit and then others tearing off at much more than that, I’ve never been a lover of driving but I’m really starting to hate it nowadays.

On most main sections of the A1 and A19 during peak periods you'd struggle to get past 60 anyway due to the sheer volume of traffic.
People in that scenario need to chill out and stop driving like twats. Usually tailgating nobbers trying to get home or work all of 2 minutes quicker.
You can't build a road system around people being sensible though. There is the 'occasional' idiot among us ;)

I like driving slowly. Not to the extremes in the OP but 23 in a 30, 35 in a 40, 60 on the A19 etc. I can do fast no problem if needed but as I'm getting older (39), I've mellowed loads in my life and just go about stuff at a steady pace.
Like me. I always drive to the speed limit. Hate those trying to push you from behind trying to get you to speed up. Especially in a 30.

Coming past the dogs track is my biggest annoyance. It’s now a 50 since they widened the path but the number of cars I follow doing 35-40 is ridiculous, especially when chunks of it now was a slot white line preventing any overtaking.

I've got a tracker in my van and if break the speed limit by 1mph it records it and my gaffa gets a report at the end of the week. Its dreadful, I do about 400 mile around the north east every week, its genuinely difficult to not break the speed limit slightly. Drives me insane and must get other drivers radged. Some roads there is just no need to be 30mph and theres loads round country Durham and Northumberland where it goes to 30 through a village but never indicates when the 30 zone ends

I like driving slowly. Not to the extremes in the OP but 23 in a 30, 35 in a 40, 60 on the A19 etc. I can do fast no problem if needed but as I'm getting older (39), I've mellowed loads in my life and just go about stuff at a steady pace.

It’s ironic you think you’re being safe when in reality you’d fail your driving test doing that.

Biggest problem on the roads (as this thread shows) is to many angry drivers.

Not really. If other people drove properly and at a speed appropriate to the conditions, driving in the left hand lane instead of the middle lane etc then other drivers who actually know the rules of the road wouldn’t get angry.

Last edited:
It's people driving too fast and selfishly that cause the majority of accidents NOT those who drive below the speed limit.
Yes it is mildly annoying when stuck behind "driving Miss Daisy" but everyone must have had the experience of someone
zooming past you in a risky place only to catch them up at the next lights/junction?
in well over thirty years in the fire service of all the incidents I went to speed was the main factor.

It's people driving too fast and selfishly that cause the majority of accidents NOT those who drive below the speed limit.
Yes it is mildly annoying when stuck behind "driving Miss Daisy" but everyone must have had the experience of someone
zooming past you in a risky place only to catch them up at the next lights/junction?
in well over thirty years in the fire service of all the incidents I went to speed was the main factor.

And people driving deliberately slowly to annoy those behind them aren’t driving selfishly?

Driving along the seafront on wed , doing 20 in the 20 stretch, lass behind me tailgating then put her full beam on, he had a kid in the car she was going mad because I was following the speed limit.

Biggest problem on the roads (as this thread shows) is too many Audi drivers.

Corrected :)

I'm sure a lot of people have no idea what the white circle with a diagonal black stripe is. My instructor went ballistic the first time I did 55mph in a 70 zone.

Last edited:
Delivered a Renault traffic van to amazon next to Nissan the other week from Bathgate. They are restricted to 68 mph. Worst drive 'home' I've ever done.

Nowt to do with speed, but what I'm currently enjoying is the lights from St Mary's on to the bridge. People queueing in the left lane to go straight on towards town then cutting in front of you at the last second so they avoid the longer queue for the bridge. Also people still treating the roundabout as 3 Lane, and cutting people up by using the now non existant 3rd lane.

Back