Sleep Paralysis

Once a month usually. Horrendous when trying to call out and you can’t speak.

Got into a good routine of just keeping as calm as possible and letting it ride out.
Have you ever sought medical advice? Apologies not trying to be judgemental at all, but it would terrify me if it happened that regularly

Last edited:

I've had it half a dozen times or so. First few were scary. Definitely recall feeling of a presence. Once was in Bulgaria funnily enough (although not sunny beach, as above!). Last few I've realised what they were and gone back to sleep. Last one I was laughing at it saying 'fuck you / do your best' n my sleep. I have cried out for help in the past which came out as a cry/whine... the missus will say in morning 'I wondered what that noise was!' :lol: The last time she thought it was sleep paralysis and decided best not to wake me up. Probably the right thing to do. I always feel awake, eyes open but unable to move.

Have you ever sought medical advice?
Have you ever sought medical advice? Apologies not trying to be judgemental at all, but it would terrify me if it happened that regularly

No worries. It’s just something I tend to live with really. Read up on a few of the treatments but not something I’ve brought up with a GP.

Usually happens with a nightmare.

I’ve had it loads but until I read this thread I didn’t know it was a common thing.

Never experienced it until I was at uni in my first year and have had it fairly frequently since then, happened even more regularly when I was taking mirtazapene which ironically helps you sleep. Always worse after a nap or when you doze after just waking up.

I have no idea if I've imagined it or not but despite most of the time it being grim as fuck and feeling like you're fighting to get out, I feel like I'm sure that sometimes I've realised what's happening and being able to relax because I know it will end shortly. Don't know if that's a thing I've made up or something that can actually happen.

Trying to explain sleep paralysis to someone who's never had it (or has and doesn't remember/realise because they thought it was a dream and forgot about it) is always fun because it just sounds like a load of made up shite.

Last edited:
I have had this once about 4 years ago and it was terrifying.

Totally aware and awake but could not move anything even my eye position. Only lasted for maybe 5-10 seconds but felt like a lifetime.

Had 4 or 5 episodes in my lifetime. First time I was 18 and still living at home, scared the living shite out of me, trying to scream for my Mam nextdoor and nowt coming out. Happened a few times after that but I quickly managed to tell myself it was just a dream or phase and to stay calm till I woke up. Not happened in over 20 years now.
All of my episodes happened while in my rec drug taking days, not my drinking days.

@Lexingtongue your expireince sounds just like me, I did say "are you me" and agree 100% on the early years nightmares. Still vividly remember my first nightmare / night terror I had when 5, what I can only describe as a giant looking stuffed toy crocodile at the bottom of my bed, but I was awake and my Mam was even trying to comfort me. I know that doesn't sound scary, but to little me I was in hell for what ever reason and will take the vision and fear to the grave.

Slight diversion but has anyone dreamt that you were playing for Sunderland? My best dream ever was coming off the bench and scoring a scruffy winner for City in front of the kop. Gutted when I woke up to go for my Sunday shift at the call centre!

Slightly different, but used to have an extremely vivid (and frequent) recurring dream as a child. Every time we would come home and I'd run in first and switch the lights on. I knew it was the dream as the lights would only come on extremely dimly. I'd run upstairs and again, the lights wouldn't come on properly. I'd then walk to the landing, when some terrifying being/force/entity would then come out from one of the bedrooms. I never saw it, as I always ran in terror down the stairs or was thrown down them by the force and I would wake up just as it came round the halfway point (our house had L shaped stairs).

Always felt uncomfortable going up and down the stairs in that house. Then, when I was 19, my dad died on the stairs - having first fallen from the top to the halfway point.

Slightly different, but used to have an extremely vivid (and frequent) recurring dream as a child. Every time we would come home and I'd run in first and switch the lights on. I knew it was the dream as the lights would only come on extremely dimly. I'd run upstairs and again, the lights wouldn't come on properly. I'd then walk to the landing, when some terrifying being/force/entity would then come out from one of the bedrooms. I never saw it, as I always ran in terror down the stairs or was thrown down them by the force and I would wake up just as it came round the halfway point (our house had L shaped stairs).

Always felt uncomfortable going up and down the stairs in that house. Then, when I was 19, my dad died on the stairs - having first fallen from the top to the halfway point.
Uff, that's got my hairs standing on end.

I've had it loads of times.
Not sure about anyone else but I always feel like there's a presence, the last time it felt like someone was actually on top of me.
I was hoping it was the Mrs but when things settled no one was there.
Yeah like there is someone behind you but you just can't move.
Scary as fuck.
Happened a few times but not in the last 4 or 5 years thankfully.

Truly terrible experience, just from this thread alone it seems fairly commonplace, amazing there's no real cure or treatment for it.
You don't cure things that are normal. Now and again you get to vividly experience the brain that typically works without your notice. It's just the brain/ body doing what it should do.
If it happens try and be curious about it rather than scared , you won't die your respiratory system is hooked up to a reptilian part of the brain far older and more solid state than whatever causes this I would guess.
All the fear is in your nut @alicante mackem has the right approach , the counting probably engages higher order, developed brain functions and tells the body youre awake .

Last edited:
Apologies if there's already threads on this, but anyone had it?

Probably occurred to me about 3-4 times in my life and it's been terrifying each time, you sort of go in a mental battle with your body to wake itself up, very weird.

Does your husband have them as well?

I’m just amazed how many others have experienced it..the dark presence in the room is a recurring thing..after the one I had about six years ago I google imaged ‘night terrors’..there’s sketches of people lying on beds with a dark image/shape above them..nearly shit when I seen them..weird stuff.

Back