Sleep and falling asleep

Where do you get the idea that I play games til 2am? I never go past 12.30.

It doesn’t really matter though. I can have 12 hours sleep and I’m knackered. If you’re not getting restful sleep, none of it counts. I had 12 last night and I was still falling asleep 6 hours laster.
Did you have a skinful yesterday though?

Where do you get the idea that I play games til 2am? I never go past 12.30.

It doesn’t really matter though. I can have 12 hours sleep and I’m knackered. If you’re not getting restful sleep, none of it counts. I had 12 last night and I was still falling asleep 6 hours laster.
Your diet and lifestyle plays a big factor in this.

Your diet and lifestyle plays a big factor in this.
No doubt. But it’s easy for you to pontificate I suppose - you made the lifestyle change years ago. You weren’t the wrong side of 50, you don’t have kids, you don’t live on your own, and exercise is firmly ensconced in your weekly routine. I get in from work and by the time I’ve done tea and whatever chores there are, the last thing I want to do is any exercise. I mean, I like the idea of it, but either don’t have the time or i’m injured. I walked to the match and back on Saturday, then Sunday and today I can’t walk.

No doubt. But it’s easy for you to pontificate I suppose - you made the lifestyle change years ago. You weren’t the wrong side of 50, you don’t have kids, you don’t live on your own, and exercise is firmly ensconced in your weekly routine. I get in from work and by the time I’ve done tea and whatever chores there are, the last thing I want to do is any exercise. I mean, I like the idea of it, but either don’t have the time or i’m injured. I walked to the match and back on Saturday, then Sunday and today I can’t walk.
why don't you do something positive instead of listing the negatives? make small changes instead of big changes. get up for work 15 minutes earlier and walk around the block, do a short walk on your lunch break. start changing your eating habits slowly. you could even go on your turbo trainer when you're gaming if you're not willing to give that time up.

why don't you do something positive instead of listing the negatives? make small changes instead of big changes. get up for work 15 minutes earlier and walk around the block, do a short walk on your lunch break. start changing your eating habits slowly. you could even go on your turbo trainer when you're gaming if you're not willing to give that time up.
Ok I know your ideas are sound but I’m the king of excuses. So I barely manage to get up in time for work and I’m a total zombie for the first hour so forget that. I only get 30 mins lunch, which I use for eating lunch. The eating habits aren’t bad, cos I don’t put weight on, but yeah I can make more effort there. I’ll get back on the turbo, but not sure how you would game. I need both hands on the bars, can’t do it sitting up. But again, my knee is still bad which puts me off.
I did do some core exercises last week, but only once then couldn’t be bothered again 😂

Ok I know your ideas are sound but I’m the king of excuses. So I barely manage to get up in time for work and I’m a total zombie for the first hour so forget that. I only get 30 mins lunch, which I use for eating lunch. The eating habits aren’t bad, cos I don’t put weight on, but yeah I can make more effort there. I’ll get back on the turbo, but not sure how you would game. I need both hands on the bars, can’t do it sitting up. But again, my knee is still bad which puts me off.
I did do some core exercises last week, but only once then couldn’t be bothered again 😂
The longest journey starts with a single step

I’ve found, and I know science said this years before me, that routine is the most important.

I’m naturally a night owl so no matter how tired I am at 7am, I’m always wide awake at 10pm. I have a to really force myself to go to bed and put my screens down if I want to get to sleep before 11.

Listening/watching to ASMR content on YouTube/Spotify can help get you to sleep. I stumbled across it by chance, I started watching a video one time then next thing I remember it was the next morning. Thought it was strange so tried watching it again the next night and I drifted off again. Usually watch it most nights now, pretty relaxing and satisfying.

Listening/watching to ASMR content on YouTube/Spotify can help get you to sleep. I stumbled across it by chance, I started watching a video one time then next thing I remember it was the next morning. Thought it was strange so tried watching it again the next night and I drifted off again. Usually watch it most nights now, pretty relaxing and satisfying.
What is it

What is it
It's the body's response to certain audio or visual stimuli, known as 'triggers'. It's all based around soft, gentle sounds and people can experience what is known as 'tingles', which is like a little sort of shiver you get down your spine. The videos/sounds relax you and can put you to sleep. A basic example would be listening to soft rainfall hitting a roof. Bob Ross' painting videos are quite popular because of his calm voice. There's 1000s of videos on YouTube, lots of different types and best experienced using headphones.

Just a quick example, it can seem a bit strange but it does genuinely help me sleep.

Last edited:
It's the body's response to certain audio or visual stimuli, known as 'triggers'. It's all based around soft, gentle sounds and people can experience what is known as 'tingles', which is like a little sort of shiver you get down your spine. The videos/sounds relax you and can put you to sleep. A basic example would be listening to soft rainfall hitting a roof. Bob Ross' painting videos are quite popular because of his calm voice. There's 1000s of videos on YouTube, lots of different types and best experienced using headphones.

Just a quick example, it can seem a bit strange but it does genuinely help me sleep.
I struggle with sleep most nights. I found ASMR worked but I didn't like the "tingle" much and for some reason I would then quickly wake up in some sort of panic, gulping for breath. Was a really weird experince so I darent repeat it now.

i once fell asleep standing up.. was a youngin down the pit on one of my first jobs was called the consul.. basicly the armed conveyor that feeds the coal out from the face.. like 20 yards from the face then into a crusher the size of a skip so you can imagine the noise.. well theres a phone on the consul that i had to answer so i am standing there one morning on the phone to the surface about where the shearer in first shift thats a 5am start some time later and im getting shaken by one of the fitters.. aye id fell akip..

A good read all of this as my sleep is shocking...I was up at 4am this morning with len ashurst on my mind (see football forum) :lol: But i know what im doing wrong, its all diet, drink, smoking and general stress and thoughts of mortality...its a vicious daily circle that isn't easy to break.

A good read all of this as my sleep is shocking...I was up at 4am this morning with len ashurst on my mind (see football forum) :lol: But i know what im doing wrong, its all diet, drink, smoking and general stress and thoughts of mortality...its a vicious daily circle that isn't easy to break.

Packing in drinking is the easiest one to fix I assume. You get more sleep but also better sleep.

Anyone tried an acupressure mat ?
Essentially a bed of nails.Sounds mad but puts me out like a light in about 10 minutes . Makes you relax ( as you cant stay stiff on spikes ) and once you do you can actually feel your body pulse.
Takes a little getting used to .

Anyone tried an acupressure mat ?
Essentially a bed of nails.Sounds mad but puts me out like a light in about 10 minutes . Makes you relax ( as you cant stay stiff on spikes ) and once you do you can actually feel your body pulse.
Takes a little getting used to .

What if you sleep on your front ?? :eek:
I might try one of those microwave beds, 8 hours sleep in 5 minutes

Last edited:

Back