Sky....

This isn’t what you asked, but IPTV for £80 a year, Disney+ for about £80 a year, use my sisters Netflix & pay about £25pm broadband. Along with iPlayer, More4 & ITV Hub, there’s little I can’t watch.
I share my netfilx with a couple of siblings and get their prime and Disney in return.

I’ve tried to avoid the iptv route so far, as I’ve heard it can be unreliable, plus i have a decent tv and surround system so at least I know I’m getting uhd hdr and Dolby sound etc through sky q but it’s getting close to what I deem value for money.

I share my netfilx with a couple of siblings and get their prime and Disney in return.

I’ve tried to avoid the iptv route so far, as I’ve heard it can be unreliable, plus i have a decent tv and surround system so at least I know I’m getting uhd hdr and Dolby sound etc through sky q but it’s getting close to what I deem value for money.
I got an IPTV for the football. You can’t watch Sunderland games in this country if you can’t attend. I could pretend to be abroad but £10 per game or £460 per season to watch from home is a crazy price. Until they charge £2-3 per game and show 3pm kick offs, then people are going to use this route.

I started to look at what else I got with the package. I’ve just finished reading the Game Of Thrones books and thought I’d watch the series again. I found that while it was reliable and there was only the odd session with buffering and the quality was often low. But the killer was subtitles. I don’t know if you know the series, but it takes part over a fantasy medieval world with one part (The Dothraki) being quite important. Many scenes are in their language with subtitles. On IPTV there were no subtitles so I had long scenes with speech in a language I don’t understand, because it is made up.

I managed 6 episodes before I signed up to Now TV for £10 per month. It will take me 2 months to watch through and I’ll cancel it. For £20 I’m happy to have no hassle and high quality. Every time I’ve tried IPTV or Kodi plugins before that, it has been a hassle and quite poor - apart from the football. The picture quality is usually pretty good on that. It has the odd off day but the main issue there is the players spoiling my afternoons.

Had my IPTV for about 4/5 years now. Get the box updated once a year. I’d say it’s very reliable. User interface isn’t anywhere near nice as sky, sometimes needs a bit fiddling, but I’d get every match I can think of, the vast majority of series or films. As mentioned by DaveH, stuff like Money Heist was a pain because the odd one the subtitles weren’t there.

But I’d say it’s a million times better value than a proper sky package. It’s not perfect, nothing ever is.

Anyone had a decent deal off sky lately?

My current offers have ended and it’s due to jump to £141 a month. Just got off the phone and he offered me a ‘deal’ for £116 which is still taking the piss so I put my notice on to cancel. I can’t see how their prices are so high considering how competitive streaming companies are which all come with plenty of content.

My current offers have ended and it’s due to jump to £141 a month. Just got off the phone and he offered me a ‘deal’ for £116 which is still taking the piss so I put my notice on to cancel. I can’t see how their prices are so high considering how competitive streaming companies are which all come with plenty of content.
I did the same. They rang me eventually and I got a deal that was roughly the same price as I had been paying. Made me work a lot harder for it this time than they normally do and wouldn't budge on the broadband price. Also the woman on the phone told me the wrong price (had to honour it as she'd wrote it in the notes).

I'm surprised so . many people are getting Sky TV from Sky. There's plenty of other ways. I've got every channel imaginable, box set, film and music album for £50 per year.

Mine's finished this month. May end up renewing with the advertised offer of broadband, skyQ and netflix for 40 quid or just cancel altogether. I currently have everything apart from movies and pay 12 per month for multiroom but its just not worth the 137 quid or whatever it will cost from next month. Virgin currently digging up round here so will see what they have on offer. I did ring up last month to negotiate on the broadband as that finished earlier but they weren't very helpful.

Bloody hell that's expensive. I'm with virgin and I have the XL TV, 100mb BB and phone line for £49. I just renegotiated the contract a short while ago as I had discounts coming to an end and price increases that would've pushed the bill up to about £80 which I can no way afford. I expressly told them that if it goes over £50 I have to cancel.
I still don't understand why keeping your landline can work out cheaper than removing it from the package, I don't have a phone plugged in or use the landline tbh.

I did the same. They rang me eventually and I got a deal that was roughly the same price as I had been paying. Made me work a lot harder for it this time than they normally do and wouldn't budge on the broadband price. Also the woman on the phone told me the wrong price (had to honour it as she'd wrote it in the notes).
Yeah it’s on the notice period now so I’ll wait and see if they come back with anything decent. Can usually get somewhere close to what I want to pay on the first call but they were no where near.
I'm surprised so . many people are getting Sky TV from Sky. There's plenty of other ways. I've got every channel imaginable, box set, film and music album for £50 per year.
I know this is an option but some people have to pay for it to make Sky viable in the first place. If everyone went that route and no one paid for sky they’d just shut it down. Not having a go mind. Tbh I have a decent tv and sound system so like the fact that stuff comes through the sky box in uhd, dolby, hdr etc so it’s just personal preference.
Bloody hell that's expensive. I'm with virgin and I have the XL TV, 100mb BB and phone line for £49. I just renegotiated the contract a short while ago as I had discounts coming to an end and price increases that would've pushed the bill up to about £80 which I can no way afford. I expressly told them that if it goes over £50 I have to cancel.
I still don't understand why keeping your landline can work out cheaper than removing it from the package, I don't have a phone plugged in or use the landline tbh.
I was paying £92 I think with all the channels, Netflix, multi room and broadband. That went to £97 at the recent price rise then now my offers are ending the big jump kicks in. I cant get virgin which is disappointing especially as they recently cabled all the scratter areas near me but left my estate alone.

Yeah it’s on the notice period now so I’ll wait and see if they come back with anything decent. Can usually get somewhere close to what I want to pay on the first call but they were no where near.

I know this is an option but some people have to pay for it to make Sky viable in the first place. If everyone went that route and no one paid for sky they’d just shut it down. Not having a go mind. Tbh I have a decent tv and sound system so like the fact that stuff comes through the sky box in uhd, dolby, hdr etc so it’s just personal preference.

I was paying £92 I think with all the channels, Netflix, multi room and broadband. That went to £97 at the recent price rise then now my offers are ending the big jump kicks in. I cant get virgin which is disappointing especially as they recently cabled all the scratter areas near me but left my estate alone.
You’re in the same boat as me £95 I was offered without the films. Hope they come back with a better deal as I can’t really be bothered to change.

My Shy Q box went mental yesterday like a loud fan constantly running.

no idea how to format it and was going to ask on here but didn’t want the obvious abuse so turned it off at the wall.

Left it for 15 mins and when I turned it back on it was fine.

Mark Strong to play me in the film supported strongly by Kate Blanchett and Lief Garrett.

They rang me other day as we just cancelled cinema and due to cancel sports other than footy but they rang me and said keep everything the same, sign in for 18 months and they took £12 off the bill from 90 down to 78.

My Shy Q box went mental yesterday like a loud fan constantly running.

no idea how to format it and was going to ask on here but didn’t want the obvious abuse so turned it off at the wall.

Left it for 15 mins and when I turned it back on it was fine.

Mark Strong to play me in the film supported strongly by Kate Blanchett and Lief Garrett.
Same thing happened to me when I installed my Deco mesh months ago. It resets after re-booting but doesn't cure the conflict between Sky and the mesh or router networks. I went into the box engineers (secret) menu and did it from there. Good as gold ever since.

Same thing happened to me when I installed my Deco mesh months ago. It resets after re-booting but doesn't cure the conflict between Sky and the mesh or router networks. I went into the box engineers (secret) menu and did it from there. Good as gold ever since.
Bit too technical for me.

Bit too technical for me.
Can you work a remote?

Press the ‘Home’ button on your Sky remote control.
Scroll down to ‘Settings’.
When you arrive at ‘Settings’ please do not press the enter/select button.
Press the sequence 001 on the number keys and press the enter/select button. You're now in the secret menu.
Now select the ‘Network’ menu. Here you have the options to separately turn 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless on or off. You can turn off both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and select ‘Confirm’. Then turn them back on to reset them.
I just turned off 2.4 Ghz and left it off. It's still off 4 months later without problem.

What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

You’re in the same boat as me £95 I was offered without the films. Hope they come back with a better deal as I can’t really be bothered to change.
Just had to go through the cancelling rigamarole this morning. Will hold off signing up for virgin a week or so to see if they come back with a better deal.

Gave my month's notice yesterday, after having been with Sky for 19 years. Year on year, I get what I consider to be an affordable, reasonable new deal. This year however, the new offer was up 28%, from £79 to £101.50, for broadband, Sky Q Signature, Sports, Netflix, multiscreen, HD/UHD (no Cinema) etc.
Phoned them to squeeze bit more out of them, but retentions offered £89.50 at best, still 13% up. I tried to use Virgin's deals (now servicing the area) as leverage for a better deal, but they weren't having it. Took a punt and cancelled, to hopefully smoke them out for a better deal. I'll play the waiting game for the next few weeks, hopefully a better offer forthcoming.
I have everything for 60 quid, with been with them for 25 years
Really? :eek: The full monty?

Last edited:

Back