Sky prob

literally today I’ve had the worst time with these: general rundown on the problem:

- took a new contract out in November for internet and phone (moved over from BT but already had sky tv)
- all set up fine and the guy said the first bill of £110 would come out 10th January as it’d be 2 bills in one. Fair enough I’ve had this before with them.
-direct debit bounced in January so I got in touch to find out why as my tv got cut off
-23rd Jan: guy on the phone tells me the first months bill is actually £220 not £110 which I was originally told (he said that 110 was for everything, now there saying 110 was just the tv)
- I pay off 110 as I couldn’t afford at the time to pay the full 220
-this months bill is now 192 and I’ve got another 70 being added on March 1st, they’ve cut all the services off and refused to accept any responsibility that they told me £110 originally, basically I’ve spoken to 6 different people today who have told me different things.
- THEN to top that all off they told me in December I didn’t need to get in touch with BT as they’d take over the line, turns out another line has been fitted and BT have sent a bill for 160 quid and said they’re turning my services off (I haven’t used any services as I was using the sky one, they said they haven’t been told) luckily BT said they can see I haven’t used any services but said sky hadn’t been in touch at all, the guy from complaints at sky said “well we probably would have told them” PROBABLY.

So long story short I apparently owe out over 300 quid to 2 companies and I’m genuinely stressed about it. Sky won’t take any fault at all and the people on the phone were so un helpful, the Lad from the complaints bit was the more un helpful and said AND I QUOTE “well basically you’ve got to pay the full amount and deal with it”

2 people said calls aren’t recorded and another said they were.

If anyone could give some advice on what I could do (yes I know the amount needs to be paid and it will be I can’t fork out over 300 quid in one pop)

Last edited:

Stop talking on the phone to them and use the online chat facility. Save the chat afterwards so that you have a clear record of who said what and when.

You need to establish what your monthly payment actually is and what you get for it. Then reduce the contract to the base level with no add ons until you sort out the money they claim that you owe. Get a clear reckoning of where every penny is going and dispute anything that you disagree with.

Last edited:
Surely you should have a contract stating what services and the price?

Use the online chat. Or call and immediately ask to to peak to and supervisor. Or, send an Email directly to someone high up eg CEO, that usually gets their attention and you usually get a better outcome. If they've screwed you on an agreed contract you also wanting to be asking for compensation for the time they have cut you off (outside of your own issues of the bounced DD).

Surely you should have a contract stating what services and the price?

Use the online chat. Or call and immediately ask to to peak to and supervisor. Or, send an Email directly to someone high up eg CEO, that usually gets their attention and you usually get a better outcome. If they've screwed you on an agreed contract you also wanting to be asking for compensation for the time they have cut you off (outside of your own issues of the bounced DD).

I would include the DD especially if they said it would be one amount and then took double.

Get an ombudsman in.
British Cûnting Gas tried to fuck me over years ago (I wasn’t even with them!) Would they listen? Would they fuck... until I got Energy Watch involved.
Communications complaints we deal with
Top tip with energy companies: if you threaten to take your energy company to Ofgem to dispute an amount less than £500 then the company will more often than not write-off the charge. They do this because Ofgem charge them £500 admin for each complaint they deal with and this has to be paid by the energy company regardless of who wins the case, it can't be passed on to the customer.

@PixieFaceFTM the same is probably true for cases referred to Oftel so try giving them a ring 0300 123 3333.

Firstly £110 for Sky man woman man and you can't even afford a £220 bill?

Pay up what you owe, if you owe it, if you don't owe it, ask them for a breakdown. With Sky you pay in advance, so if you don't pay anything for a month, you'll be paying for two months at once, it's all explained in the T&Cs and all bills are available online in advance of payment being taken.

Last edited:
Firstly £110 for Sky man woman man and you can't even afford a £220 bill?

Pay up what you owe, if you owe it, if you don't owe it, ask them for a breakdown. With Sky you pay in advance, so if you don't pay anything for a month, you'll be paying for two months at once, it's all explained in the T&Cs and all bills are available online in advance of payment being taken.

Whats wrong with that ?

£110 for Sky man woman man and you can't even afford a £220 bill?

Pay up what you owe, if you owe it, if you don't owe it, ask them for a breakdown. With Sky you pay in advance, so if you don't pay anything for a month, you'll be paying for two months at once, it's all explained in the T&Cs.
If she was told over the phone that the first bill would be £110 then that is mis-selling and Oftel will come down on Sky like a tonne of bricks.

If she was told that Sky would deal with the switch from BT and they didn't then Oftel will come down on Sky like a tonne of bricks.

All calls are supposed to be recorded but sometimes equipment doesn't do what it should. This will be no defence by Sky if they do not have a recording.

I used to work for the Complaints Team in a large energy company and reading the account from @PixieFaceFTM I would write-off the debt immediately - telecom companies will use the same criteria for making their decisions.

They do record calls. I insisted they listened to one, but had to be pretty specific on time etc.

Yep most places record calls but will they fuck listen to them when shit like this happens. Live chat is always the best option because you have a record of it.

Email [email protected] explaining all the problems , be firm but polite and someone from his office will get back to you and they are really good at sorting problems.

Sorted me out a couple of times in the past when sky knacked up my account and couldn't get anywhere with the normal sky help

Was gonna suggest this as well, bypass the call centre minions, 95% of the time they just want you off the phone so they can keep their call averages up so they qualify for their bonus. Not their fault, its just the way these places are. Go straight to the top, if you complain to the CEO's office they'll either take it up or pass to a dedicated complaints team who will investigate and get those calls listened to. If no joy then go to Oftel. They'll just tell you to try and resolve it with Sky before bothering them anyway.

If she was told over the phone that the first bill would be £110 then that is mis-selling and Oftel will come down on Sky like a tonne of bricks.

If she was told that Sky would deal with the switch from BT and they didn't then Oftel will come down on Sky like a tonne of bricks.

All calls are supposed to be recorded but sometimes equipment doesn't do what it should. This will be no defence by Sky if they do not have a recording.

I used to work for the Complaints Team in a large energy company and reading the account from @PixieFaceFTM I would write-off the debt immediately - telecom companies will use the same criteria for making their decisions.

This also, I works for a complaints team for an insurance company, the department before the complaint went to the ombudsman. I'd write it off anarl if she had been told the wrong info.

Seems like she’s budgeted for the £110 which she can afford

You reckon? I reckon if you can afford to pay about £1300 per year on Sky then paying 2/12ths of it up front shouldn't make too much difference. She's still paying the same amount over the year, just front loaded, as should have been explained at the time.

Back