Sky Price Increase Cancellation

Casper

Midfield
Anyone had any luck cancelling any of their services due to the price increase?

Moving house and Virgin have much better Internet speeds but I've currently got a package through sky?

Moving house and Virgin have much better Internet speeds but I've currently got a package through sky?
You need to check your contract. Some say they are allowed to raise your price by a certain %. If it's less than that you can't demand to leave but you can phone and tell them your struggling and they might give you a better deal. Be warned though I think due to COVID they've outsourced some of their call centre work and the last few times I've tried to call I've ended up speaking to someone in India and I just ended up hanging up as he couldn't understand me.
Nah, ask on a football message board. Sure fire way.
To be fair to the OP there are quite often threads on here about negotiating new deals with Sky. Don't think there is any need to be sarky with him.

Last edited:
Check your terms and conditions.

Most mobile, landline and broadband providers have a stated term that the price can increase in line with CPI or RPI around March.

You need to check your contract. Some say they are allowed to raise your price by a certain %. If it's less than that you can't demand to leave but you can phone and tell them your struggling and they might give you a better deal. Be warned though I think due to COVID they've outsourced some of their call centre work and the last few times I've tried to call I've ended up speaking to someone in India and I just ended up hanging up as he couldn't understand me.

To be fair to the OP there are quite often threads on here about negotiating new deals with Sky. Don't think there is any need to be sarky with him.
Ta, I think I can get out the broadband but not the TV. Virgin has only come available in the new area since I renewed with Sky which is a pain.
Check your terms and conditions.

Most mobile, landline and broadband providers have a stated term that the price can increase in line with CPI or RPI around March.
Aye I think the broadband can be cancelled due to price hike but not the TV as they seem to be able to raise it by 10% every 12 months. Dunno if it makes any difference that I've only been in the contract since September.

Last edited:
Ta, I think I can get out the broadband but not the TV. Virgin has only come available in the new area since I renewed with Sky which is a pain.

Aye I think the broadband can be cancelled due to price hike but not the TV as they seem to be able to raise it by 10% every 12 months. Dunno if it makes any difference that I've only been in the contract since September.
They might charge you to move home as well. I'd ask them that as well as it may be cheaper to take a hit on the cost of paying up your contract than whatever they want to charge you to move. You could speak to virgin as well, see what kind of deal they'll give you, as the long term cost could be cheaper than what you have to pay to get out of your Sky contract.
Think it's a bit shit they are upping prices during a pandemic
Not sticking up for Sky but every single provider put their prices up every year. I don't think it should be allowed, you agree a contract for 18 months at a certain price, that's what it should stay at for the 18 months.

Last edited:
Called up can't cancel TV, won't let me pay off early. Already booked a home move yesterday so was unable to use the moving to a house that already has it excuse!

On another note, I've said my dad could have it, he has a dish at his house, will it be a case of plug and play if I give him the equipment?

eventually managed to get through to somebody to review my package. Managed to knock about £60 off payments. Took decision to remove Movies and Sports.

Bloke seemed in awe of the fact I’ve been Sky customer for nearly 30 years, he wasn’t born when I signed to the old Sky analogue system apparently :lol:

Those where the days, signal that be interrupted by a gust of wind, a werewolf hosting Sky Sports football, and very dodgy late night foreign channels with sound and fuzzy picture....

eventually managed to get through to somebody to review my package. Managed to knock about £60 off payments. Took decision to remove Movies and Sports.

Bloke seemed in awe of the fact I’ve been Sky customer for nearly 30 years, he wasn’t born when I signed to the old Sky analogue system apparently :lol:

Those where the days, signal that be interrupted by a gust of wind, a werewolf hosting Sky Sports football, and very dodgy late night foreign channels with sound and fuzzy picture....
can remember the old analogue where the channel sound played but just no picture if it was a channel you didnt subscribe too.

Those where the days, signal that be interrupted by a gust of wind

Sounds like my sky now, it’s absolutely Barry white on a breezy day, sunshine, rain or snow. I don’t even bother looking through the guide after the 2nd page on all channels now when it is working.

I’m on a 18 month contract with Sky that runs out in August..the monthly bill has slowly crept up..i phoned them a couple of weeks ago and pleaded poverty due to Covid..as you do..my bill was touching £90 per month..she got me the movies..sky fibre..and knocked £26 a month off the bill.

Called up can't cancel TV, won't let me pay off early. Already booked a home move yesterday so was unable to use the moving to a house that already has it excuse!

On another note, I've said my dad could have it, he has a dish at his house, will it be a case of plug and play if I give him the equipment?
It depends on the equipment. If its a HD box then it should work as long as the wiring and the dish are in good nick. If its a q box it won't as it needs a different lnb.

Also whoever you spoke to is talking shite. You can leave if you want you will just need to pay up your contract and any penalties. It might not be cost effective for you to do so you might choose not to but they can't just say you can't cancel.

Last edited:

Back