Sky broadband

Try a speed test via ethernet cable. Your issues will almost certainly be down to your WiFi. My sky WiFi maxes out at about 25mb in the next room.

Irrelevant now that we know you're connected at 40mb

So you've got a 40mbit connection mate. Plug a laptop into the router with an ethernet cable and run another test, what do you get ?

Confirmed. With ethernet i'm getting 38-40mb

Try a speed test via ethernet cable. Your issues will almost certainly be down to your WiFi. My sky WiFi maxes out at about 25mb in the next room.

Irrelevant now that we know you're connected at 40mb

So is there much I can do about this or will I always be limited to 25mb using a router?
And would this always be 25mb whatever speed is coming into the house?

Last edited:
Confirmed. With ethernet i'm getting 38-40mb

So is there much I can do about this or will I always be limited to 25mb using a router?

Get a better router mate. Sky ones imo are crap.

In the meantime change the wireless channel. Go through them, change and run speed tests on your devices around the house.

You should get close to what you can get wired with a decent router though.

Get a better router mate. Sky ones imo are crap.

In the meantime change the wireless channel. Go through them, change and run speed tests on your devices around the house.

You should get close to what you can get wired with a decent router though.

Tried changing channel. In most cases it made things much worse but none any better

I would say though it's the router, I've never had a good one from Sky!

Aye, they're shit. I've got the new Sky Q hub and even that's crap.

You could try a a powerline homeplug thing with a wifi extender built in right next to your device. They're cheap and would probably solve your problem.

Have you got an android device anywhere with you? Install wifi analyser - have a look see what the congestion is like in your area.

I would say though it's the router, I've never had a good one from Sky!

Did that already- it was a bit weird where there was people using 11 but it recommended 11- so I switched to 11 and then it recommended 1. When I switched to 6 or 7 which were clear the speed was shit. ??

Did that already- it was a bit weird where there was people using 11 but it recommended 11- so I switched to 11 and then it recommended 1. When I switched to 6 or 7 which were clear the speed was shit. ??

I wouldn't bother knacking on to be honest. Get a homeplug or a decent router.

Im on Fibre unlimited at the minute but the speed hovers at around 25mb which sometimes isnt quite enough to stream 4K. Fibre Max is the next level but that would be another £20.
Is this my only optionnor could I squeeze out a bit more speed somehow?
I have sky fibre and my speed maxes at around 35mbps , its down to the cabling supplying your estate, mine is old so speed can't be increased , I can't play 4K smoothly either with that speed , but am perfectly happy with 1080p. I don't think you can use a "non sky" router with their broadband so your stuck with it. Oh and I never use wifi for any streaming , you lose at least 30% of your speed when switching from ethernet , as has been suggested , you should be using homeplugs if you can't get an ethernet cable to your device.

I have sky fibre and my speed maxes at around 35mbps , its down to the cabling supplying your estate, mine is old so speed can't be increased , I can't play 4K smoothly either with that speed , but am perfectly happy with 1080p. I don't think you can use a "non sky" router with their broadband so your stuck with it. Oh and I never use wifi for any streaming , you lose at least 30% of your speed when switching from ethernet , as has been suggested , you should be using homeplugs if you can't get an ethernet cable to your device.

35mbs should be enough to stream 4K - at least the lower bandwidth rips anyway. Who are you using for IPTV these days? Any good?

35mbs should be enough to stream 4K - at least the lower bandwidth rips anyway. Who are you using for IPTV these days? Any good?

With 25 I can stream 4k for i'd say 70% of the time but it drops down quite a bit. I was hoping if I can get nearer 30-35 id be fine

I don't think you can use a "non sky" router with their broadband so your stuck with it. Oh and I never use wifi for any streaming.

This true?

Homeplugs..so for my TV id have to have an ethernet plugged into the back still? Damn my TV is on the wall but holes all sealed now!

Last edited:
This true?

You can use any wireless router you want, as long as you use the Sky router as a modem. You can plug a high gain router in and disable the wifi on your Sky Box. It'll mean having two boxes though. Or a homeplug would do the trick too.

With homeplugs, you don't need to use ethernet on your TV, you get one with Wifi and plug it in near your telly.

vaders mate , but expensive , I also have another sub channels are fine but EPG isn't reliable , and even worse he shows all our games from iFollow :cry::cry:

You can use any wireless router you want, as long as you use the Sky router as a modem. You can plug a high gain router in and disable the wifi on your Sky Box. It'll mean having two boxes though. Or a homeplug would do the trick too.

With homeplugs, you don't need to use ethernet on your TV, you get one with Wifi and plug it in near your telly.

Any you an reccommend mate? Not too pricy though.

don't think this can handle 4K tho ? am sure you need at least 1200mps or even 1500mps ?
It can handle a higher speed than his connection. His aim seems to be to have a 40mb connection available to his TV wirelessly. This should achieve this.

Last edited:

Back