Sky broadband

Im on Fibre unlimited at the minute but the speed hovers at around 25mb which sometimes isnt quite enough to stream 4K. Fibre Max is the next level but that would be another £20.
Is this my only optionnor could I squeeze out a bit more speed somehow?

Im on Fibre unlimited at the minute but the speed hovers at around 25mb which sometimes isnt quite enough to stream 4K. Fibre Max is the next level but that would be another £20.
Hmm weird i get 40mb with sky fibre.

How much in total? I've just signed up for it last week - deal online was £30 a month

The cables come out of the telephone exchange and then to a cabinet near your home. Then it's routed to all the premises near the cabinet who want it.

The further the distance between your house and the cabinet, the slower the broadband will be.

In a lot of cases, it's only fibre to the cabinet, then they still use the old copper cables from the cabinet to your house which affects speed too.

I have distance problems and get around 30MB max on my broadband. It's usually around 20-25MB as other people in your neighbourhood using it affects the speed too.

If you're getting a 25mb connection on standard fibre, you'll get 25mb on Fibre Max, well you won't actually as they won't sell you it.

Are you sure you're only connecting at 25mb? Are you not connecting at 40mb and expecting your wifi to run at the same speed?

As @AndrewP said, theres no point. If you are on their upto 38mbit standard service and you aren't even maxing that out, you wont get any faster by upgrading unfortunately.

Do you have virgin in the area?

If not, you could get another connection (new line) and bundle them.

If you're getting a 25mb connection on standard fibre, you'll get 25mb on Fibre Max, well you won't actually as they won't sell you it.

Are you sure you're only connecting at 25mb? Are you not connecting at 40mb and expecting your wifi to run at the same speed?
It was letting me add it to the basket when I was checking the price like.

Would I just connect my laptop via Ethernet and test the speed again to determine the incoming speed?

As @AndrewP said, theres no point. If you are on their upto 38mbit standard service and you aren't even maxing that out, you wont get any faster by upgrading unfortunately.

Do you have virgin in the area?

If not, you could get another connection (new line) and bundle them.

No Virgin here yet no, what do you mean by getting another line?

Would I just connect my laptop via Ethernet and test the speed again to determine the incoming speed?

Just put 192.168.0.254 into your browser when you're at home and check the connection speed. If it's higher than you think then the problem is probably your home network - usually wifi bottleneck.

Any way of improving that without using an ethernet? Better router?

You could try the router into the test socket (unscrew the front faceplate). Other than that, if it's still low then there's no way of improving the actual connection speed presuming you don't have a line fault.

What speed is it connecting at? What's the SNR, attenuation etc.

It was letting me add it to the basket when I was checking the price like.

No Virgin here yet no, what do you mean by getting another line?

What did they quote as your estimated and minimum speeds?

What does it show when you go into router config page, what does the sync speed show? Page will look like below:

Logon or register to see this image

I mean, if you literally cannot get more out of the line, sign up to another provider and have a new line installed, then bundle the two together using hardware (expensive) or software (cheap) and you may be sorted. Look at a product called Speedify to get an idea of what I mean.

Equivalent of virgin here I guess

I see

What did they quote as your estimated and minimum speeds?

What does it show when you go into router config page, what does the sync speed show? Page will look like below:

Logon or register to see this image

I mean, if you literally cannot get more out of the line, sign up to another provider and have a new line installed, then bundle the two together using hardware (expensive) or software (cheap) and you may be sorted. Look at a product called Speedify to get an idea of what I mean.

I'm getting down speed at 40,000 kbps.

sync speed?
You could try the router into the test socket (unscrew the front faceplate). Other than that, if it's still low then there's no way of improving the actual connection speed presuming you don't have a line fault.

What speed is it connecting at? What's the SNR, attenuation etc.

SNR attenuation? You've lost me mate

Last edited:

Back