SKP

He never got a chance with England really, Vassell shinned a sitter in with SKP waiting behind him to mop up if he fked up and that was that. Vassell got a run and SuperKev written off.
Although not convinced that Shearer might not have had a hand in that, what with SKP playing for us...

Skp never played in a "full" England side. Always seemed to be a B side or players. He would've done well in a full strength team.

Absolutely hopeless at remembering goals.
I just manage to remember that he scored a good goal in certain games.

That said, perhaps someone with a better memory than me can help.

After we won at Swindon with, it seemed, half of the North East there and didn't go up, we then played them first game of the season, or first away game of the season at their place.

Am I right in thinking that he scored another absolute cracker in that game as well?

Maybe some sort of volley or scissor kick?

Last edited:
Absolutely hopeless at remembering goals.
I just manage to remember that he scored a good goal in certain games.

That said, perhaps someone with a better memory than me can help.

After we won at Swindon with, it seemed, half of the North East there and didn't go up, we then played them first game of the season, or first away game of the season at their place.

Am I right in thinking that he scored another absolute cracker in that game as well?

Maybe some sort of volley or scissor kick?
He scored -but not one of his best. Cut in from left hand side of box and fired low into far corner. Result 1-1

He scored -but not one of his best. Cut in from left hand side of box and fired low into far corner. Result 1-1
Cheers for that.
Obviously mixing it up with the other one at Swindon.

Also thought we'd won that one as well.
Wtf do I know.
Over 20 years ago now

That goal was incredible and you can add Barnsley away, Chelsea home, Everton home and many more to a list of quality goals along with instinctive strikes which proves he was a natural goalscorer.
I think the system and the delivery from wide players and Quinn helped him massively but thats the sign of a quality team we had back then.
As for the coaching and/or manager he’s still got it all to prove but cant see why he wouldn’t be a success would love him to be involved in some capacity here
He scored a very similar goal against Watford at home, a curler from outside the box, into the top corner of the goal.
A great goal.

Best goal scorer I have ever seen. Wish we could find one like him now. My fav goal was the one at Swindon away, f***ing brilliant.
However, was he just a natural goalscorer or was it down to hard work. Can he transfer his skills into coaching?

I was at the Swindon game with my Dad, he lives down your way.

I have often wondered why specific techniques cant be trained to other players. Its as if only their own unique manner of playing can be improved upon.

That goal was incredible and you can add Barnsley away, Chelsea home, Everton home and many more to a list of quality goals along with instinctive strikes which proves he was a natural goalscorer.
I think the system and the delivery from wide players and Quinn helped him massively but thats the sign of a quality team we had back then.
As for the coaching and/or manager he’s still got it all to prove but cant see why he wouldn’t be a success would love him to be involved in some capacity here
Goal against the mags, in the rain

Cheers for that.
Obviously mixing it up with the other one at Swindon.

Also thought we'd won that one as well.
Wtf do I know.
Over 20 years ago now

May 1998 SKP scores a brilliant goal v Swindon. Camera almost misses original effort but action replay shows it perfectly. Stick with it because he scores a second 30 seconds into the 98 second video.

August 1998 - the beginning of the 105 point season. We drew 1-1 at Swindon. SKP's goal is just after 4 minutes of this 6 minuter video. Enjoy!

He was fantastic while Quinn was alongside him and he was still motivated to play for us. His final season with us after Quinn retired and he'd decided he wanted away to improve his chances of playing for England he was pretty poor for the most part.

I haven't seen anything in his personality in interviews that would translate into him being a good manager, but perhaps under a good manager he could make a good strikers' coach.

Best out and out 'football' from him was before injury in 2001/02 when Quinn was knackered tbf and just making brief appearances, he largely carried that side first half of the season and then got grief when he played on despite needing an operation. I also doubt he really moved/wanted to move to increase his England chances as his England career was over the middle of that season when he came on against Holland, token gesture by Eriksson who was obsessed with pace and Darius Vassell scored - think he realised his chances were gone then.

By the time next season came along and the transfer requests he was struggling to find a club who would pay a decent fee for him nevermind play for England.

Last edited:
May 1998 SKP scores a brilliant goal v Swindon. Camera almost misses original effort but action replay shows it perfectly. Stick with it because he scores a second 30 seconds into the 98 second video.

August 1998 - the beginning of the 105 point season. We drew 1-1 at Swindon. SKP's goal is just after 4 minutes of this 6 minuter video. Enjoy!

Brilliant marra.
Enjoyed it a lot.

Pleased to see my memory hasn't totally gone, as his goal when he cut in, in the second game was canny anarl.
I loved his one against Liverpool away, got it in his own half, took it on 30yards with the defenders back tracking then buried it from 25 yards.....he could literally score any type of goal.
Remember my uncle talking about Cloughie, saying that he could " score from anywhere".
Same with SKP.

Easily the best goalscorer I have ever seen at Sunderland.

Would have walked into any recent England team that didn't have Lineker, or Shearer (maybe for different reasons) in it.

Last edited:

Back