Ska,Reggae,Two Tone, etc.etc..

Grew up listening to a lot on Two Tone. Specials Madness Selector and The Beat were all decent back then. I met Jerry Dammers from the Specials backstage at a Hard Fi gig once. He was a bit...odd.

We were meant o be going to see The Beat in Newcastle but it got binned cos of the Virus - Fuzz off Car SOS is in the band now I understand

Are there any good Sunderland/ Newcastle- based nights that people go to?

Did a ska night at The Cluny last year and it was quality.
The Cluny is the best around for reggae bands. I’ve seen Culture there twice, The Abbysinnians, Misty in Roots and a couple of others. And U Roy in Edinburgh.
The bloke who used to promote the bands around here was a bloke called Wilf from London, but he retired a couple of years ago. I’m in touch with The Gladiators trying to arrange a gig for them at the Cluny when it’s possible. There’s a bloke in Newcastle now, Rem Marley who’s started to promote reggae bands.
The last Culture gig at the Cluny was cancelled, one of them couldn’t get a visa, same thing happed to Mykal Rose from Black Uhuru.

Love this...
The Cluny is the best around for reggae bands. I’ve seen Culture there twice, The Abbysinnians, Misty in Roots and a couple of others. And U Roy in Edinburgh.
The bloke who used to promote the bands around here was a bloke called Wilf from London, but he retired a couple of years ago. I’m in touch with The Gladiators trying to arrange a gig for them at the Cluny when it’s possible. There’s a bloke in Newcastle now, Rem Marley who’s started to promote reggae bands.
The last Culture gig at the Cluny was cancelled, one of them couldn’t get a visa, same thing happed to Mykal Rose from Black Uhuru.
Kiss my face - I'm a fan of The Gladiators, Culture, Black Uhuru, and The Abbysinnians! Have you ever tried getting in touch with Burning Spear? Or too old now?

Last edited:
Love this...

Kiss my face - I'm a fan of The Gladiators, Culture, Black Uhuru, and The Abbysinnians! Have you ever tried getting in touch with Burning Spear? Or too old now?
To be honest, I haven’t heard a great deal of Burning Spear, I’ve got a couple of his songs on compilation cd’s. He must be knocking on a bit now like? U Roy was mid 70’s when I saw him a couple of years ago, still good.
Im in touch with Kenyatta Hill (Joseph’s son) and Chris Whitley from Culture, they give me the heads up when they’re coming to England.
Tapper Zukie is my favourite though. I bought MPLA in the mid seventies when I got into reggae.
I thought it was just me who likes stuff like this :)

Last edited:

If you get that gig arranged put it up on here please mate.

Back