Sir Bob Murray NDOYT

Thread has just reminded me I spoke to a lady recently who knew who someone who had provided care to Tom Cowie when he was owld.

Old Tom wasn't dead or yew tree then either but he is now.

Bob ran it like a business because he had to as he wasn't a billionaire.

There is more than 30 years worth of evidence that without someone putting their own money it to artificially boost income we are naturally a yo-yo club.

- Ran as a business under Murray = yo-yo
- Overspent under Short = 10 years in Premier League
- Short withdraws funding = 2 relegations in 2 seasons

It's not rocket science, we are what we are.

I imagine that we are going to return to a Bob Murray type of ownership next and will eventually therefore settle to become a yo-yo club again.

To become better than that requires the next owners to understand real football future planning and understand the advantages and disadvantages of operating in the North East.

Bob ran it like a business because he had to as he wasn't a billionaire.

There is more than 30 years worth of evidence that without someone putting their own money it to artificially boost income we are naturally a yo-yo club.

- Ran as a business under Murray = yo-yo
- Overspent under Short = 10 years in Premier League
- Short withdraws funding = 2 relegations in 2 seasons

It's not rocket science, we are what we are.

I imagine that we are going to return to a Bob Murray type of ownership next and will eventually therefore settle to become a yo-yo club again.

To become better than that requires the next owners to understand real football future planning and understand the advantages and disadvantages of operating in the North East.
The past may be a reasonable indicator of the future but we can break the pattern (either for better or for worse). At the moment it certainly seems like we're entering the club's darkest days as we head into the third tier saddled with enormous debts and none of the ingredients in place for an instant bounce back like we had in 1987. So it seems obvious that something different is almost bound to happen. That might lead to something special coming our way, or something truly hideous or depressing like a decade of lower league football. The most positive thought I can muster at the moment is 'may you live in interesting times'.

Did you forget 19 points and 15 points next time round?

At least that was in the Premier League.

The first 19 point season imo was unlucky from a boardroom point of view. In many ways it came out of nowhere and occurred with Sorensen, Craddock, Gray, Phillips, Stewart, Reyna, McCann and Tore Andre Flo on board. Reid was backed.

The 15 point season was a debacle; we probably over achieved getting promotion the year before tbh.

But whatever you say about Murray - he never lost interest in this club and it’s supporters. Short has.

I was talking to Bob and his wife (I presume) in Leeds earlier this year. He runs or has something to do with the college in Leeds. Anyway, he still has a box at the stadium and has some business interests with the club although he didn’t say what they were.

Back