Single use plastic cups

Step in the wrong direction. Our highest positions in the prem were when playing amongst swirling debris every second half. The simultaneous decline of SAFC and Carrier Bags a coincidence? I think not.

Good point, I am big into this correlation stuff.

Paid about five euro in Germany at a game for my cup inclusive of my beer... sat in my seat happily having my beer topped up for 3euro a time... hand the cup back for your 2 euro or leave it fo rthe kids to pick em all up and hand in for pocket money.... still gets me how we still cannot get away from not being able to serve booze at football games....
Have you ever been on the concourse at away games?

I'm in agreement there. It would add to the atmosphere being able to drink in your seat. I've been to a German game, and the atmosphere was better than anything I've seen in England, by a long shot. While booze in your seat isn't the sole reason for fantastic constant atmosphere in German games, it just adds to it.

I disagree, bloody spilt beer everywhere. At the SOL I don’t have room to fold my arms let alone bend it to get a pint to my mouth.

we've been using much more solid plastic cups since sometime last season, I assume these are washed or recycled or whatever

I wonder how it work at half time. It’s unlikely people would have time to get a pint, drink it and claim their pound back all in fifteen minutes. They’ll probably just throw their ‘glasses’ away so all that will happen is it will cost an extra pound for a drink.

Scavengers might spend the second half gathering them up to make a killing, which I don’t think would be very good either.

I like the idea of Durham cricket grounds use of plastic cups.. I've got a couple at home, if not you go and give the glass back and get your quid back, and the glass will be re used. The club must spend a shit loaf on single use glasses per match like.

Retail is about 10p, club will pay about 7pm.
Charging £4.40 a pint of piss i think they cover that huge outlay.

Remember when the stadium first opened and they had Sunderland badges on and people would take them home.
I'm actually sad enough to still have the first one I got at the Ajax game when the ground opened.
I'm in agreement there. It would add to the atmosphere being able to drink in your seat. I've been to a German game, and the atmosphere was better than anything I've seen in England, by a long shot. While booze in your seat isn't the sole reason for fantastic constant atmosphere in German games, it just adds to it.
The thing I noticed when watching games abroad, is that when you can take a drink to your seat, there's less need to chug it down. People just enjoyed having a beer whilst watching the game. Over here, it's often get as many down as you can beforehand.

Last edited:
I like the idea of Durham cricket grounds use of plastic cups.. I've got a couple at home, if not you go and give the glass back and get your quid back, and the glass will be re used. The club must spend a shit loaf on single use glasses per match like.

They started doing that at Shields last week.

The last couple of times I went to the Oval they were flogging beer glasses for £1 deposit. You could take it home, but they had a charity collecting them on the way out which I thought was a great idea. It killed the beer snakes dead in their tracks mind, so not all good.

There was a young lad at Headingley going round collecting them to get the money back, had about 20.

Mine was lost diving about when Stokes hit the winning runs

Back