Single Malt Recommendation

Slightly off piste... butt I've always fancied getting into whisky...any recommendations for decent 'starter' whiskies (if there is such a thing).

Slightly off piste... butt I've always fancied getting into whisky...any recommendations for decent 'starter' whiskies (if there is such a thing).
Go to Aldi and Lidl, and go through each of their single malts and note down which ones you did and didn't like.
They have about 6 between them, but often only one variety will be in stock at once.
Under £20 a bottle, and tbh, a really good place to start.

Try putting a spot of water in the glass, see if you prefer it
Try putting a small ice cube in, again, see if you like that too

By the time you've drank 5 bottles, you'll have a good idea what styles you prefer, then you can look into the £25+ ranges.

Just to hijack the thread for a moment, I am off to the Isle of Mull next spring and was wondering if the distillery there was worth a visit? I have never tried any of their tipples but it is supposed to be good stuff.

Just to hijack the thread for a moment, I am off to the Isle of Mull next spring and was wondering if the distillery there was worth a visit? I have never tried any of their tipples but it is supposed to be good stuff.

Not sure about the distillery is like, but I've had Ledaig malts before and quite nice( think that is where that's from)

Not sure about the distillery is like, but I've had Ledaig malts before and quite nice( think that is where that's from)
Yeah, just had a look at that, it's not cheap stuff but I assume it must be good. I'll have to brush up on my knowledge of their whiskey, don't want to come across as a complete heathen ;).

Johnnie Walker Black Label (not red label, not "double black", just standard Black Label)
Aberlour 10
Cragganmore 12

Smooth, easy to drink, and at the more affordable end. Drop a teaspoon of water in with it and let it settle a minute or so. When you sip the whisky, let it sit on your tongue for a bit before you swallow it. It will go down smoother and you will start to be able to taste the flavours and avoid the throat burn sensation that people hate.

Last edited:
Try a few miniatures to get a flavour of what you like before buying a 70cl, most supermarkets have loads of decent gift packages for Christmas that should make tasting a few quite easy and cost effective.

If you have the time, and the money, spend some of it in the Spey valley and do the Whisky Trail, there's quite a selection of distilleries to try
You might need a nominated driver :)

Go for an Irish Whiskey such as a Jameson first. Irish Whiskeys tend to be triple distilled which means they're smoother and less harsh for a beginner. From there you can try a Scotch and see the difference.

I'm getting a bottle of Aberfeldy 12 for Christmas, quite an easy drinking whiskey, not peaty. About £25 a bottle on Amazon

I got a bottle of Balvenie 12 Double Wood for an anniversary present last year and have been a whisky drinker ever since. Lovely.

Have Jameson on the go usually as a staple in the house. I like it.

Back