Since the play offs...

At the start of last season I said that we should be aiming for the play offs, this was achieved although we failed to gain promotion at the final hurdle.
What was disappointing was the complete lack of form from being in a strong position to gain automatic promotion to failing in the play offs.
This...by November a lot of the problems had been sorted, we were playing decent football and promotion looked a formality.

I have given Ross some stick.. but the more I see of Grigg and Wyke.. they have to be the worst two strikers in our history.. or up there with them.. we won't win enough games with them in the team.. both absoloutly dreadful..

This place has been nothing but a cesspit of twist and moaning. Yes we failed last season in not getting promotion, but let's face it, it was close. If you had asked me this time last year, play offs would have been the best I would have expected after the years that preceded.

I think in the first few pre season games we have done ...ok. yesterday playing a team from the Portuguese top flight and really were the better team for the majority. Take some positives man. Let's just see where we are after a few games eh?

Rant owa

It wasn’t close. We were shit for a large chunk of the season then in the final quarter ended up with lower than mid table form. Nothing has improved on the player front and haven’t scored a goal in two games.

I think you'll find we got beat not drew off a bang average Portuguese side, that no one knows if they played their first 11 or a mix of them and their ressies..or kids or what...
I was at a barbecue yesterday and just have forgotten that we conceded a late goal. Coupled with the fact that they might have fielded reserves/youngsters, it changes everything, we’re doomed!

I’m not accepting mediocrity. I’m accepting losing a pre season match against a superior team in broiling heat with multiple substitutions being made isn’t a disaster.
I’m unhappy we didn’t go up last year and there’s no doubt that having got into a very strong position, we blew it. But I also think and hope (being generally optimistic/realistic)we can build on last season , go again and do better. I think the model of short termism and starting afresh every 9-12 months is what put us in league one.
Nothing in football is guaranteed apart from the fact that over a season there will be ups and downs. There’s too many folk who are too fragile to see a defeat or a failure to win as a setback rather than a life changing catastrophe. We will play badly and we will lose games. Accepting that isn’t accepting mediocrity : it’s recognition of what happens to every sporting team.

Good post . I wouldn’t have bothered replying if I’d read this first!!
Correct ,both are right on the money.I think a lot of fans are broken ,so hope we get off to good start or Samaritans it is .

This place has been nothing but a cesspit of twist and moaning. Yes we failed last season in not getting promotion, but let's face it, it was close. If you had asked me this time last year, play offs would have been the best I would have expected after the years that preceded.

I think in the first few pre season games we have done ...ok. yesterday playing a team from the Portuguese top flight and really were the better team for the majority. Take some positives man. Let's just see where we are after a few games eh?

Rant owa

Not at all, we should absolutely be aiming for automatic promotion.

We have 2 of the best strikers in the league.

We have a big group of young local lads to call into the side.

We have experience of big games last season and what it means to participate.

Our management team have observed what it takes to succeed in this league, and why we failed.

We have massive support who all want success.

We should smash it.

Rant owa
But we broke the league 1 transfer record :lol:

Can't see us getting promotion this season as the squad is worse this year. Whether or not you people want to moan about that, it's up to them. The last 10 years of speculating on the wrong players has plunged the to its current position.
Should have been more modest signing and better value

I think you'll find we got beat not drew off a bang average Portuguese side, that no one knows if they played their first 11 or a mix of them and their ressies..or kids or what...
They also played Nacional in the morning, on the island of Madeira, I suspect we were playing against the second string

We've been shite Sunderland November. Why accept mediocrity? Owners are full of it & we are the ones having to watch a dire product on the pitch. The team haven't been taken forward in the off season, we're still devoid of any physicality & Honeyman is once again captain.

Last edited by a moderator:
They wont listen.. they are grumpy, moaning fannies. They cant wait for us to lose a few.

Absolute rubbish.
Sunderland fans have been the most patient and loyal in football.
We have had some terrible game, been in so much trouble and still turned up week in week out and sung hearts out.

The patience is correctly wearing thin. Regardless of any arguments we should have done better last year and without a shadow of doubt should have one one of the Wembley games.

Fans have EVERY RIGHT to complain and moan.

They are not fannies, doom mongers, moaners, bedwetters.

I’m 50. Absolutley fed up with the club that I Absolutely adore.
I’m sick of charlatans, inept managers, players who are substandard. Double relagations ensured we were promised no more old plodding players, no more big signings on large contract, players who’d die for the shirt and owners who would engage with the fans and keep us informed.

Nothing at all has changed.

Fans have the absolute right to air their views.

Not at all, we should absolutely be aiming for automatic promotion.

We have 2 of the best strikers in the league.

We have a big group of young local lads to call into the side.

We have experience of big games last season and what it means to participate.

Our management team have observed what it takes to succeed in this league, and why we failed.

We have massive support who all want success.

We should smash it.
they have shown none of their previous pedigree.. they've both had chances that other strikers would of scored.. wyke in particular.. grigg seems lazy, uninterested.. not what we need this season..

Not moaning about a draw with Belenenses is not “accepting mediocrity”. I agree completely with the post you quoted, yet I see anything less than automatic promotion this season as failure.

Belenenses were in the Europa League 3 years ago and finished 9th last season. Effectively we drew 0-0 with a team who are about too end of the Championship standard in a meaningless friendly, yet the SMB make out we’d been beaten 6-0 by Blyth Spartans! I don’t even think there was this much moaning when we were beaten 3-0 at St Johnstone under Grayson.

Draw? Fook me I withdraw the moan.......I've never even heard of Fookin Bellendenses man and I have an Encyclopedic knowledge....

Under Grayson we hadn't just had a season in League Wan, sat threw mind numbing footy with 19 Fookin draws, that squad was far better than what Ross got out of it, rabbit in the headlights and we shoulda pissed the league, don't give the double relegation borrocks the pot is simmering....

Unless we get a good start and stops sitting back against plodders, he's gone......

I think even the more optimistic fans would admit to having concerns.

Last season missing out on promotion given the position we were in with a couple of months to go was massively disappointing.

We simply cannot afford to linger in this league any longer than this season. If Ross doesn’t look like he’s capable of achieving that we have to pull the plug and get someone in who can.

There’s far too much emphasis placed on systems, tactics etc - in my view a decent manager with last seasons squad would have achieved better than 5th place.

Back