Since the play offs...

This place has been nothing but a cesspit of twist and moaning. Yes we failed last season in not getting promotion, but let's face it, it was close. If you had asked me this time last year, play offs would have been the best I would have expected after the years that preceded.

I think in the first few pre season games we have done ...ok. yesterday playing a team from the Portuguese top flight and really were the better team for the majority. Take some positives man. Let's just see where we are after a few games eh?

Rant owa
Tough if you don’t like the twisting and moaning

48 years since I saw my first game and as it stands we have gone backwards since last season. You can read safc like a book and none of it reads very well atm

Past experience tells me that unless a footballing miracle occurs then Ross is on borrowed time

It is clear that the new owners were the people to stabilise the club. However they are not the people to take it forward

No money and no vision

This place has been nothing but a cesspit of twist and moaning. Yes we failed last season in not getting promotion, but let's face it, it was close. If you had asked me this time last year, play offs would have been the best I would have expected after the years that preceded.

I think in the first few pre season games we have done ...ok. yesterday playing a team from the Portuguese top flight and really were the better team for the majority. Take some positives man. Let's just see where we are after a few games eh?

Rant owa
Behave. Ross is rubbish. All the players he uses are rubbish.
The only decent players are the ones nobody has seen.
Winning friendlies is more important than getting players ready for when the proper football starts.

Last edited:
I'm not usually one to get involved in the pessimism, however, I think that a lot of cracks were papered over last season, and as it stands, I don't see us looking better now than we were last year. I don't doubt there will be changes over the next month or so, but the season starts in a couple of weeks and as far as I can see, we're looking like part of the furniture.

I cant wait for Ross to set a team out to go and win and take the game to the opposition.

I'm still waiting so I'd guess its unlikely to happen
Should of been 3 up in first 30 mins mind .On another day we wouldn't be torturing ourselves .Reading threads this morning ,think we need to re open outpatient wing of Cherry Knowles .

League 2 Luton won the League, with crowds of 10k and a budget to suit.....stop accepting mediocrity...
no matter how big your crowds or budget are if your struggling to score goals your going to struggle full stop as of last season we need to be scoring more than 1 goal per game but this doesnt look promising at the moment

Last year yes, no not this season

Why would you settle for the play offs last season when we had the squad we did? You really think we have improved enough over the summer to get close to promotion when you see who the likes of players Peterborough have signed?

League 2 Luton won the League, with crowds of 10k and a budget to suit.....stop accepting mediocrity...
Not moaning about a draw with Belenenses is not “accepting mediocrity”. I agree completely with the post you quoted, yet I see anything less than automatic promotion this season as failure.

Belenenses were in the Europa League 3 years ago and finished 9th last season. Effectively we drew 0-0 with a team who are about too end of the Championship standard in a meaningless friendly, yet the SMB make out we’d been beaten 6-0 by Blyth Spartans! I don’t even think there was this much moaning when we were beaten 3-0 at St Johnstone under Grayson.

Why would you settle for the play offs last season when we had the squad we did? You really think we have improved enough over the summer to get close to promotion when you see who the likes of players Peterborough have signed?
Reason I would have last year was due to the fact the club was in freefall. Numerous poisonous characters amongst the dressing room. New owners with little time to turn us around. A new manager to to the club with little experience. None of that said we would romp home and win the league.

This season those excuses have gone, so I will expect a settled side to turn a lot of those draws to wins. We arnt any worse of a team this season. Yes goals is a massive concern, as it was last year at this time until Maja turned into a machine.

Not moaning about a draw with Belenenses is not “accepting mediocrity”. I agree completely with the post you quoted, yet I see anything less than automatic promotion this season as failure.

Belenenses were in the Europa League 3 years ago and finished 9th last season. Effectively we drew 0-0 with a team who are about too end of the Championship standard in a meaningless friendly, yet the SMB make out we’d been beaten 6-0 by Blyth Spartans! I don’t even think there was this much moaning when we were beaten 3-0 at St Johnstone under Grayson.
This was rife last night like. Ridiculous really

I’m not accepting mediocrity. I’m accepting losing a pre season match against a superior team in broiling heat with multiple substitutions being made isn’t a disaster.
I’m unhappy we didn’t go up last year and there’s no doubt that having got into a very strong position, we blew it. But I also think and hope (being generally optimistic/realistic)we can build on last season , go again and do better. I think the model of short termism and starting afresh every 9-12 months is what put us in league one.
Nothing in football is guaranteed apart from the fact that over a season there will be ups and downs. There’s too many folk who are too fragile to see a defeat or a failure to win as a setback rather than a life changing catastrophe. We will play badly and we will lose games. Accepting that isn’t accepting mediocrity : it’s recognition of what happens to every sporting team.

Good post . I wouldn’t have bothered replying if I’d read this first!!

Last edited:

I think you'll find we got beat not drew off a bang average Portuguese side, that no one knows if they played their first 11 or a mix of them and their ressies..or kids or what...

Back