Since Parkinson came in

Think the best we can hope for is he finds some sort of formula for the next 6 weeks until the transfer window opens. If he gets some cash to find a striker then we might make a run for the play offs.
It’s a very congested league, probably 12 teams have play-off aspirations.

Both Portsmouth and Doncaster are also playing the tune from the “if we win our games in hand” songbook.

So why would a lot of these players want to get promoted? If they know they will get dumped in the Championship and are earning above average salaries in League 1, then surely they are more than happy to stay with Sunderland in League 1?

They wont be staying with Sunderland, the board aren't going to want to extend contracts to players who are treading water. The only way some of these lads are going to see past their current contracts is to actually put performances in!...sadly, I don't think it's a case of them just doing the bare minimum, it's just that at their best they are very average.

Sunderland are not an average division 1 club though and are probably paying well over the average for div 1.

SD said they’d pay new signings as follows , strikers 5k, midfield 4K and defenders 3k.

Whether or not the pay structure was broke for Grigg , I dont know. If the owners think they can steal a rival clubs to striker In January and pay just a wee bit more, Id think they are kidding themselves.

Wonder if they are prepared to gamble with some of the 10m loan and break their structure. They may well have to, or we could be meandering around for years in league one.

Since he came in it’s been a bit of a mystery, terrible first game, much better for the next 2-3 with 5 goals in 1 game, loads of chances and higher tempo. Much of what we have been asking for. Then suddenly what seems like a huge drop off, which some people are seeing as players not interested already and a new rotten core etc. This just doesn’t sit right with me.
I wonder if we’ve got a new way of playing that will provide many more chances and subsequently wins, however a gruelling schedule and new training regime to support the higher press etc has just taken it’s toll. He’s brought Allemby in to try and support all of this but needed 2 weeks off around the international break to try and implement things a bit more. The replay won’t have helped but here’s hoping!!

Once we are hopefully out of the cups then we can focus. Disaster getting a reply mind.

Even the most ardent veteran of SAFC, who've witnessed few highs but many lows, will surely acknowledge this period being the most difficult challenge we have ever faced. The ramifications of not getting promoted this season is very hard to quantify and qualify. I'm sure the board realise they just can't afford to fail in the January window. To me, their heads are on the block far more that PP and the players.

Think the best we can hope for is he finds some sort of formula for the next 6 weeks until the transfer window opens. If he gets some cash to find a striker then we might make a run for the play offs.

I'm not feeling optimistic about the window at all. Unless it's loan(s), market forces always push recruitment to the end of the window. After which there's only 1/3 of the season to go. And they've got to hit the ground running. I really think parky has to get a tune out of what he's got. And I reckon getting Embleton and Robson back in the fold is key

Apologies you're right. I was looking at an old BBC article. The average is now between £90 and £150k, according to this site.

Average Football Salaries

Not huge money if your career only lasts 10 years or so.
Bit of a weird one.So go for 5 years average wages every year if earning say £120K a year

10 years graft gives you 50 years wages.Then get a job for 30 years until retirement.I'd be up for that.

I always thought that was a daft argument when they came out with it in the 1960s " I've only got a 10 year working life ( career )"

When Johnny Haynes wanted 100 quid a week in the early 60s I didn' t mind in the slightest.
Baxter evidently left Rangers ,they wouldn't give him 100 quid a week.

Then people were earning around 20 quid a week.Probably less.I'd like to struggle on 5 or 6 times average wages.

You try and tell the young people today that.They will not believe you.With apologies to the Python crew,LUXURY.

Let’s hope you’re right

I reckon we’re about to go on a 15 match unbeaten run :cool:

Nothing to support this other than a hunch and blind faith. I’m usually wrong mind
I'm on board with that. I've seen enough to think that putting together a couple of good wins will see the rest of the league start to sh*t themselves about playing us and we'll climb the league, get the crowd back on side, finish second and go nowhere near feckin Wembley :D

Bit of a weird one.So go for 5 years average wages every year if earning say £120K a year

10 years graft gives you 50 years wages.Then get a job for 30 years until retirement.I'd be up for that.
Like I said not huge money. 10 years work will pay you a full career at average salary. A 3rd tier footballer will not typically be looking at particularly lucrative work when he retires. He's not going to land a cushy number with Sky or BBC.

I guess, over a lifetime, typically they might earn something similar to a professional, such as a doctor or lawyer. Not poor but mega rich.

The senior players aren’t earning 70k though and the average wage in league one isn’t 70k either I’d imagine

A payslip of a Hartlepool player was swiped from his rubbish around 2005ish & posted online. He'd spent the majority of his career in the 4th division & Conference & was only a squad player at pools but he was on £2k per week so £104k. I can only imagine wages have gone up significantly since then.

They don't earn crazy money. Yes, they are paid well for playing sport but the average salary for League One is about £70,000 and it's a short career. They have mortgages and families to consider.
Why wouldn't they play to a standard to ensure they kept their jobs, particularly if they are 30+?

:lol:

Back