Sinatra's in town - closing today .

Sorry I meant city centres not cities.
I will not drive into Newcastle if I can help it, not because I’ve got any problem with it other than it being a challenge to get back out without getting a fine.
Even just dropping off at the central station is an inconvenience to what it was.
The whole place is designed to catch you out and fine you. You are especially susceptible if you only go every few years and the priorities have changed. EspecIally as you say , down by the bridges and central station.

The whole place is designed to catch you out and fine you. You are especially susceptible if you only go every few years and the priorities have changed. EspecIally as you say , down by the bridges and central station.
I got lucky one morning a taxi driver wouldn’t move and told me to go through the hotel before the central station.

I thought he was being a dick but had he let me past I’d have been fined.

It did take me another couple of attempts dodging the High Level bridge (stopped and turned around) and going around the roundabout again where Metroradio is instead of going down the right hand lane to the Tyne Bridge.

I’m not sure if there’s anymore now, I’ve only went into the city centre itself once since.

Plenty at the RVI but that’s pretty much fine still.

Not be many bars left in town that were there when I started drinking around 99/00.

Fitsys, Chaplin's, The Borough, Greens, Dun Cow and half of them have had a name change or been ruined (The Borough cough cough).
Greens was ye olde transporter then iirc, only the Borough is ruined out of them like. Greens was always shite

Turveys garage before that? It wasn't a, chippy for very long iirc.

I remember getting a kebab in there; will have been around '86 if my timeline is correct.

Greens was ye olde transporter then iirc, only the Borough is ruined out of them like. Greens was always shite

The Greens was brilliant in about '84. Always went there for last orders and it was absolutely rammed. A great time to be alive.

Last edited:

Back