Sicily....... If you were going there for a week with

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6830

.... wife/partner, Wheres best place to go and why ??
Palermo
Taormina
Syracuse
Messina
Other ??

CIA.

I've only been to Palermo but I loved it, was there a week. Just spent the days sitting in cafes watching the world go by. It was during the Euros too so when there was a match on they'd open all the local town squares, put big screens up and serve food, with little bars opening.

Catania is nice, and the coast going north from there. Syracusa is ok, not as good as it's reputation though. - that's all my experience of Sicily, must go again.
We didn’t think much of Syracuse either. Having spent a lot of time in Tuscan towns, it was a disappointing let down.

We stayed in Taormina, which is touristy but fine. Got an Airbnb with a great volcano view.

Go on a walk up the volcano when you’re there. Take your hiking boots.

We didn’t think much of Syracuse either. Having spent a lot of time in Tuscan towns, it was a disappointing let down.

We stayed in Taormina, which is touristy but fine. Got an Airbnb with a great volcano view.

Go on a walk up the volcano when you’re there. Take your hiking boots.
It's a long walk up that I would drive up as far as you can :lol:
When I drove up there there were thunderstorms, the rain was coming down the roads in streams

What’s the big towns/cities in Sicily like in terms of safety compared to say Naples? Even though both have strong organised crime links it mainly seems to be Naples that suffers the worst press due to it.

Went to Taormina recently. Beach/coast part was a disaster and the view got old quickly. The old town was great and it would be good for a base if operations but I wouldn't stay in either for a week for just Taormina.

Get a car - the island is a good size to move around (even if driving out of Palermo is a bit mental). We flew into Palermo (stayed a couple of days) and flew out of Catania, with stays in Taormina and Syracusa in between (we didn’t stay in Catania). Took side trips to the coast by Palermo and the north west coast and a cool Roman villa in the middle of the island on the way to Taormina.

Last edited:

Back