Should we get rid of the 1p and 2p coins?

They won't have to change the name of the machine mind if they do.

Santander I think (pretty sure we used to be Girobank so it's whoever they are now).
Not a clearing bank which is a shame as they accept bagged up coins to pretty much any limit, unless it's a particularly busy time of the day, when all they'll do is ask you to come back.

Very surprised at Santander, as the likes of Nationwide and the Halifax employ a 5 bags per day rule.
Not a great help, but helps whittle it down gradually.
Personally, I'd have a quiet word with the manager and would be surprised if they don't allow it.

Well if that's how you want to justify tax avoidance, by saying that they're doing their local communities and economies a service by defrauding the taxman, fair enough. I don't agree though.

If people are on the bones of their arses but are asset rich it does make sense to sell that asset mind. Why live somewhere you can only afford to maintain if you've got people to do maintenance who are happy to do cash in hand work?
Where has this assumption come from that every business that deals in cash is a tax avoider? It is a legal form of payment. Innocent until proven guilty you know.
Going after smaller businesses is an easier target than multinationals and compared to the billions lost to the Treasury by sweetheart deals made by HMRC with the likes of Vodaphone, Amazon et al id say any tax lost in the cash in hand economy is loose change. Atleast it is likely to be actually spent in the local economy rather than a Carribean island.

Where has this assumption come from that every business that deals in cash is a tax avoider? It is a legal form of payment. Innocent until proven guilty you know.
Going after smaller businesses is an easier target than multinationals and compared to the billions lost to the Treasury by sweetheart deals made by HMRC with the likes of Vodaphone, Amazon et al id say any tax lost in the cash in hand economy is loose change. Atleast it is likely to be actually spent in the local economy rather than a Carribean island.

Here

Wait till you're paying builders 90 quid on your visa instead of 50 cash in hand.

After getting change from the self service machine in Sainsburys this morning, I'm all in favour of getting rid of them. 6 x 2p + 3 x 1p in 55p worth of change ffs!

Not a clearing bank which is a shame as they accept bagged up coins to pretty much any limit, unless it's a particularly busy time of the day, when all they'll do is ask you to come back.

Very surprised at Santander, as the likes of Nationwide and the Halifax employ a 5 bags per day rule.
Not a great help, but helps whittle it down gradually.
Personally, I'd have a quiet word with the manager and would be surprised if they don't allow it.

We just hoy the coin in the coinstar and get a load of buffet food once a year for the punters. Nee hardship for us.

Back