Should state pensions all start on September 1st?

Qwerty

Striker
As that is the date when everybody starts school would it not be fair that everyone is entitled to the state pension on Sep 1st in the year the oldest turn 66. Most people in a school year enter the workplace at the same, seems unfair that an August birthday means you work a year longer.
Thoughts.

Is the OP's birthday in August by any chance?

It's actually a valid point
November mate, just a caring person who's looking out for the summer birthday lads and lasses.
The current new pensioners left school in the early 70s. Did many back then leave at the end of the academic year, or on their birthday?
They all sat exams at the same time so left at the same time surely.

Last edited:
November mate, just a caring person who's looking out for the summer birthday lads and lasses.

They all sat exams at the same time so left at the same time surely.

Based on what older relatives have told me, it sounded like people left school on their 15th birthday. It usually goes something like

“I turned 15 on the Friday and was in the factory by the Monday…”

Since 1972, it was 16 years, and if you were born before Feb, you could leave by Easter, but not until May, if you were born between Feb and May.

As that is the date when everybody starts school would it not be fair that everyone is entitled to the state pension on Sep 1st in the year the oldest turn 66. Most people in a school year enter the workplace at the same, seems unfair that an August birthday means you work a year longer.
Thoughts.
I started school in January 1971 - they staggered the year group so those with summer birthdays started later.

Thoughts.
No it would mean all the claims going in at the same time resulting in huge delays.

Based on what older relatives have told me, it sounded like people left school on their 15th birthday. It usually goes something like

“I turned 15 on the Friday and was in the factory by the Monday…”

Since 1972, it was 16 years, and if you were born before Feb, you could leave by Easter, but not until May, if you were born between Feb and May.
Craig David's worst song ever.

Thoughts.
Surely to match with the school leaving idea it'd be when the youngest turns 66? Kids who turned 16 in September still had a year of school to get through while those in the same year with an August birthday turned 16 after leaving.

Back