Should coroners prioritise cases based on the religion of the deceased?

Surely this isn’t a new problem so why the issue now?

Because the coroner is a woman ? It'll be interesting to see how long she can hold these religious and influential groups off.
They are squeeling because they can't get their own way, and they are used to getting it. "People are afraid to die in this borough". :lol:
Theres a queue mate, get in line.

Not that strange, you answered your own question.
If people want a fast track service, let them pay for it.
Religion can fuck off. Yet another example of how it actually does impact on daily life.
I was thinking that but wouldn’t you just have a 2 tier system of them and us with the unable to pay taking longer. There’s a legal process in any death and there would be a shadow over that if the financial clout of someone could undermine that process. Shipman changed things as has other happenings and lots of aspects of the process have been tightened up because of criminality

Not that strange, you answered your own question.
If people want a fast track service, let them pay for it.
Religion can fuck off. Yet another example of how it actually does impact on daily life.
No doubt someone will respond saying "how does it impact anyone else if certain religions get a fast track service, they all get done eventually".

If an inquest is needed then something about the cause of death needs to be established. How can you guarantee that justice is served if the evidence is disposed of so quickly. They can complain about their human rights not being fulfilled but what about the human rights of the deceased person? Inquests can also have far reaching consequences for the wider community if the coroner decides that due procedure has not been followed by any organisations involved in the death. The coroner can make recommendations and express concerns that could affect all of us. You can't rush that process.

Backing you up mate. High fives.

???

Have you misread or just backing me up???

Either way <highfive>

A specific religion should never be prioritised to the potential detriment of the wider community.

Last edited:
My cousin's husband died at home recently and as a result the coroner had to be involved. Although my cousin does not belong to a faith that required her husband to be burried within a short time I can assure you that her sense of grief owing to his loss was not less than anyone elses and that it was not helped by having to wait for the coroner to release her husband's body

She did accept however that dispite her sorrow she would be obliged to wait until the coroner had completed their work and indeed it was two or three weeks before she could finally put her husband to rest.

Should she have be obliged to wait longer because someone else claimed that their need of the coroner's services was more urgent than her's?

In the case of the death of a loved one it's wrong to assume that your needs are greater those who find themselves in a similar position. As difficult to believe as this may be for some religious people those of us who do not observe any religion at all find the wait between the death and the funeral just as painful an experience as anyone else. And like anyone else the longer the waiting goes on the more upsetting it is.

This puts those who insits that they be put ahead of the queue in a very poor light. Do they imagine that they are the only bereaved people who suffer because of delays in the coroner service? Do they believe that it is only people of their religion who can experience such upset and that it does not matter if other people are made to wait longer because those people have in their view a less formal approach to burying their dead?

If they do then I can tell them that they are terribly misinformed.

Jewish community leaders in North London are calling for a coroner to quit as she is refusing to prioritise cases based on religion.

In Judaism and Islam, bodies should be buried on the day of death or very soon after.

However the coroner has said she won’t allow cases to take priority based on the religion.

This is causing some consternation within the local Jewish community.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42746735

I might get pelters after saying this, and fully expect to tbh.

Why should a coroner prioritise cases based on the religion of the deceased? The coroner is there to serve all people equally, no inequality is to be given to anyone regardless of their religion etc. If, it has been in their religion that the deceased are to be buried the same day / quickly after death, why have these people of the religion not made it possible through their own means? I don't mean picking up a shovel each and ganning in the garden btw.

How is this managed in islamic / jewish countries?

My cousin's husband died at home recently and as a result the coroner had to be involved. Although my cousin does not belong to a faith that required her husband to be burried within a short time I can assure you that her sense of grief owing to his loss was not less than anyone elses and that it was not helped by having to wait for the coroner to release her husband's body

She did accept however that dispite her sorrow she would be obliged to wait until the coroner had completed their work and indeed it was two or three weeks before she could finally put her husband to rest.

Should she have be obliged to wait longer because someone else claimed that their need of the coroner's services was more urgent than her's?

In the case of the death of a loved one it's wrong to assume that your needs are greater those who find themselves in a similar position. As difficult to believe as this may be for some religious people those of us who do not observe any religion at all find the wait between the death and the funeral just as painful an experience as anyone else. And like anyone else the longer the waiting goes on the more upsetting it is.

This puts those who insits that they be put ahead of the queue in a very poor light. Do they imagine that they are the only bereaved people who suffer because of delays in the coroner service? Do they believe that it is only people of their religion who can experience such upset and that it does not matter if other people are made to wait longer because those people have in their view a less formal approach to burying their dead?

When my daughter died it was important to establish that the level of care she had received from health professionals (not the NHS) was poor. The inquest established that and the coroner provided a narrative as explanation along with his verdict. This had implications for the wider community and in hindsight (knowing the verdict) it could be argued it was of greater importance than someone's religious beliefs. Did we think her case should be prioritised. No. Our grief and anxiety about that upcoming inquest (which aggravated that grief) was no different to any other persons but it was important to establish the facts and that can take time. I don't understand how an affected family would want to rush that process.

Last edited:

Looking at several weeks wait (4 I believe in some areas) for crematorium space round here and this will be on top of a delay releasing a body.

The coroner is involved withAnyone who dies, even if expected.
I’m guessing the delay is the PM. Post mortum can take a while during the busy times of the year.
I only half heard some solicitor bloke yamping on about this on the radio, but it seemed to be the processing of the paperwork from what I understood? Each death has to be signed off and it was this bit that she wouldn't prioritise

That’s okay mate as I’m happy as it is and don’t need to live my life how some blokes I’ve never met think it should be lived

Get on the plenty of fish thread, you could be meeting Eastern European women on petrol station forecourts and walking round the galleries with a hard on.

Back