Shops to be allowed to open 24 hours a day.

If this year causes flexible working to really take off, then shopping habits will change. If some people decide they prefer having a lie in and working 11-8, then going shopping at 9-11pm suddenly doesn't seem so weird.

If this year causes flexible working to really take off, then shopping habits will change. If some people decide they prefer having a lie in and working 11-8, then going shopping at 9-11pm suddenly doesn't seem so weird.
Other side though, if WFH carries on being so popular why leave the house after work to pay for parking in the town centre or drive 25 minutes to the metro when Amazon or somebody can deliver the parcel to your house, you can try it on or test it at home, if you don't like it they collect from your house and return for free. Also I can see more companies allowing you to select a certain day/time for your delivery so even if you are working 11-8 just select the 8-10am delivery slot and its sorted for you.

Other side though, if WFH carries on being so popular why leave the house after work to pay for parking in the town centre or drive 25 minutes to the metro when Amazon or somebody can deliver the parcel to your house, you can try it on or test it at home, if you don't like it they collect from your house and return for free. Also I can see more companies allowing you to select a certain day/time for your delivery so even if you are working 11-8 just select the 8-10am delivery slot and its sorted for you.
Because people WFH are going to be sick to death of being in the house and are more likely to welcome a change of scenery.

You could see it during lockdown, people would wander down to the supermarket just for something to do other than sit around at home.

Last edited:

tbf though the shopping between 8pm - 12am'ish probably isn't too unrealistic. It's the next 7 hours between 12am - 7am which will be dead, can't see anyone thinking let's go to Primark at 4am bar maybe once for a, 'I went shopping at 4am' for Instagram or whatever.

Because people WFH are going to be sick to death of being in the house and are more likely to welcome a change of scenery.

You could see it during lockdown, people would wander down to the supermarket just for something to do other than sit around at home.
I hope that would be the case but I'd more expect people to meet for lunch or food after work and a few drinks or the cinema over shopping, might just be me as I couldn't think of anything worse than spending hours walking around the shops to then buy the same shirt from Uniqlo that I bought the last time, guess I'm not exactly the target audience for shopping centres and high streets.

I don't see any problem with this as long as it doesn't set a precedent post-covid.

I don' like shopping at the best of times but this will give me more options for when to do my late Xmas shopping.

My grandad did 12 hours shifts working on a pitface for 50 years he never saw much daylight and only ever saw the sea once in all his life on a day trip to Skipsea.

The Next sale makes middle aged women act weird for that day though, going crazy for a top thats been in a warehouse for 2 years just because it has 60% off. Can't really imagine many people are going to be going to Primark at 3am on a Tueaday morning for their £3 tshirt that wont keep it shape after a single wash.

Its the staff I feel sorry for as theyll be told least you still have a job, your shift starts at 4am, good luck getting here.
I used to work the tills in marksies and the boxing day sales produced some truly bizarre behaviour. Shutters started going up and middle aged women were commando rolling under them, running through the shop and grabbing literally anything from the racks to sort through later. As a teenager it was quite frankly terrifying.

This latest lockdown has seen almost zero change for me. Sainsbury down the road still the same. Always needed mask. Restaurants all open. Butcher open. Only thing that I've noticed really is the pottery shop the kids like has shut but is doing takeaway paints and whatnot.

Oh aye the pool has shut.

Last edited:
I used to work the tills in marksies and the boxing day sales produced some truly bizarre behaviour. Shutters started going up and middle aged women were commando rolling under them, running through the shop and grabbing literally anything from the racks to sort through later. As a teenager it was quite frankly terrifying.

This latest lockdown has seen almost zero change for me. Sainsbury down the road still the same. Always needed mask. Restaurants all open. Butcher open. Only thing that I've noticed really is the pottery shop the kids like has shut but is doing takeaway paints and whatnot.

Oh aye the pool has shut.

I worked at the one in the Metro Centre one Christmas and saw exactly the same when they opened on Boxing Day. The poor cleaner bloke was riding one of those floor polisher things near the door when the shutter went up and he was just swarmed by the masses looking like zombies from World War Z.

Back